Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

One Coach to Another, System to System

I thought I had a better handle on this but the more I think about it, the less sense it makes.

We've been through 3 head coaches now in the last 5 years. They're always given 3 years to recruit guys for "their system" and the usual thought is, essentially, the existing guys are no good and you have to bring in new guys, and as you recruit more guys to fit "your system" you can steadily build records of 3-9 followed by 5-7 and then 9-3, etc because all your guys are recruited for specific purposes.

These are things I read and hear all the time.

But what exactly is so different about Partridge's system that you can't plug in Pelini's guys and win games by the end of your first season if not the beginning of your second?

We're not going from FCS to FBS and talking about a whole different level of player here. These are all Division 1 guys, all between 2 and 3 stars.

They're not pulling scholarships from guys because they can't tackle or catch the ball.

They're not inventing new positions; maybe one coach uses TEs or certain types of backs when another doesn't, but come on.

When I hear the word "system" I think about different formations, maybe the QB is now predominantly pro-style vs runner, maybe the defense plays more zone than man, etc... but are these really such big sweeping changes that existing Division 1 athletes who have been playing football since high school can't adjust to and you need three recruiting classes of "your guys" to really show what you can do?

Because that's essentially what we're in the midst of doing and saying once again. "Partridge needs time to develop his team." "He needs time to recruit."

What can't he accomplish with the current players?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

When I hear the word "system" I think about different formations, maybe the QB is now predominantly pro-style vs runner, maybe the defense plays more zone than man, etc... but are these really such big sweeping changes that existing Division 1 athletes who have been playing football since high school can't adjust to and you need three recruiting classes of "your guys" to really show what you can do?

Because that's essentially what we're in the midst of doing and saying once again. "Partridge needs time to develop his team." "He needs time to recruit."

Posted On: Oct 26th 2015, 3:05 AM #351096

Well especially since we have both a QB-DT and a QB-PP. I get that the line and schemes change, but we have the personnel to with either style right now.

I spent all weekend thinking about it, and it seems like BW was a good coach for the spread, and I think CP is be holding him to a pro-style offense, which BW is clearly not good at.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Oct 26th 2015, 3:05 AM #351096

Well especially since we have both a QB-DT and a QB-PP. I get that the line and schemes change, but we have the personnel to with either style right now.

I spent all weekend thinking about it, and it seems like BW was a good coach for the spread, and I think CP is be holding him to a pro-style offense, which BW is clearly not good at.
Posted On: Oct 26th 2015, 8:53 AM #351100

I dont think Coach Partridge is going anywhere? At least not yet. Chun may give him one more year. It seems like this season is a flip flop of last season. Last year Offense put us into position to win and defense was the let down, this year defense has been playing better ball, but offense is the let down. Except for the loss of Lucky Whitehead, i mean the offense is still basically the same, with some added weapons, and they are not utilzing them correctly. I only heard Trey Rodriguez's name once in the second half and he was torching UTEP, and why they didnt, I do not know.
Back to the top

Next year, our QB system will consist of 2 QB-PP. We have to find ways to be more effective in the redzone right now. Let Driskel play.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

Next year, our QB system will consist of 2 QB-PP. We have to find ways to be more effective in the redzone right now. Let Driskel play.
Posted On: Oct 26th 2015, 1:02 PM #351103

Or score more from farther out like good teams do. The closer you get to the goaline the EASIER it is to defend the decreasing space. Take shots downfield LOTS more (maybe even 3 or 4 timesin a row when they maybe DON'T expect that, and be MUCH more aggresive as apparantly our talent level prettry much CANNOT sustain 10-18 play drives.

Oh, and when we get a lead - TRY TO BUILD THAT LEAD, don't get so darn conservative, execute like we have to get the lead and score more. Most other FBS level teams seem to be able to do that. Lets be in the top 50, not the bottom 10!
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

Posted On: Oct 26th 2015, 1:02 PM #351103

NO, Driskle isn't the answer. He is what he is and that's solid back up with limited skills.

They have to play Parr now for so many reasons!

He needs the experience for next year especially with Charlie going into next season on the hot seat.

What if the experience he gains this year is the difference between us going 5-7 and 7-5 next year? Those two games could mean Charlie keeping is job.
Also if Parr plays well you could gain some excitement back with the fans going to 2016.

Stop worrying about the QB situation in 2020  (when Parr would  be a RS-S) and figure out how to win now!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: