Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

School spirit taking a hit?

Add topic

Spent some time on campus today and ate in the Atlantic Dining Hall (aka The Caf).

Noticed a lot more shirts from other schools than there had been in recent years when I was on campus. Rutgers, Mississippi State, etc

I talked to a freshman the other day who said she was transferring to FSU because "there's no spirit and nobody wants to go to the football games." That's in addition to a tweet I saw from a student saying, "Honestly FAU has killed this football season for me with these noon games, like really?"

I freely admit these are small samples, and I don't want them to be representative of the actual situation, just pointing out that it happened.

We worked so hard to get people into the school, it was on a good trajectory and felt like it was growing every year, but then both the school bars (101 Cantina and Night Owl) close, the team wins less than 3 games a year and now this comes up again. I just hope we're not going backwards.

20th Street renovation can't get here soon enough.

on the upside, Athletics is stepping up their game. Sandwich signs telling people about the game and two representatives outside the Caf handing out reminders about the home basketball game tomorrow night. Good job.
Back to the top

IF and WHEN we win games, it will change. Who on here saw the Houston - Memphis game Saturday? it was great support for Houston, a sell out and excited fans WHO DID NOT QUIT THE TEAM  and walk out when they were down 20 twice, AND playing without their star qb!

Great comeback by them and GREAT support for a school who has not had great support in the past!
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Spent some time on campus today and ate in the Atlantic Dining Hall (aka The Caf).

Noticed a lot more shirts from other schools than there had been in recent years when I was on campus. Rutgers, Mississippi State, etc

I talked to a freshman the other day who said she was transferring to FSU because "there's no spirit and nobody wants to go to the football games." That's in addition to a tweet I saw from a student saying, "Honestly FAU has killed this football season for me with these noon games, like really?"

I freely admit these are small samples, and I don't want them to be representative of the actual situation, just pointing out that it happened.

We worked so hard to get people into the school, it was on a good trajectory and felt like it was growing every year, but then both the school bars (101 Cantina and Night Owl) close, the team wins less than 3 games a year and now this comes up again. I just hope we're not going backwards.

20th Street renovation can't get here soon enough.

on the upside, Athletics is stepping up their game. Sandwich signs telling people about the game and two representatives outside the Caf handing out reminders about the home basketball game tomorrow night. Good job.
Posted On: Nov 16th 2015, 7:18 PM #352040

IF we were 8-2 then you could have 12 o'clock games and youd still 18-20000 tickets.

Back to the top

The university is still in transition from being an academically centered small public school with a large commuter population to a more traditional "big state" school so I wouldn't be so quick to say that school spirit it dwindling. This is probably the most spirited FAU has ever been to be honest. 

On a side note, when do they plan to break ground on the 20th street renovation? And when did Nite Owl close? Great times at that bar!
Back to the top

LawOwl said

On a side note, when do they plan to break ground on the 20th street renovation?
Posted On: Nov 16th 2015, 10:15 PM #352046

There is no groundbreaking for 20th street.  It's only a concept of what people would like to see. They will change the name of the street, but private business needs to be involved and private business needs to feel like there is a reason to invest there.

They continue to block off 20th street into the campus on football gameday. There is no corridor, ever, if they continue to do that. It is just smoke being blown up various orifices.

I have personally told that to the President and to the mayor and they both said that has got to stop, yet it continues.

I will shut up at this point because I will just say stuff that won't benefit me.  I will say that if they don't do things to help FAU centric businesses survive in that area, there is not going to be a lot of new FAU centric businesses jumping to get in on the opportunity.

Owls Up!
Back to the top

...that being said, the 20th Street corridor as we envision it is 10-20 years away. But you have to start somewhere and you have to start it period.
Back to the top

fauowl said

LawOwl said

On a side note, when do they plan to break ground on the 20th street renovation?

There is no groundbreaking for 20th street.  It's only a concept of what people would like to see. They will change the name of the street, but private business needs to be involved and private business needs to feel like there is a reason to invest there.

They continue to block off 20th street into the campus on football gameday. There is no corridor, ever, if they continue to do that. It is just smoke being blown up various orifices.

I have personally told that to the President and to the mayor and they both said that has got to stop, yet it continues.

I will shut up at this point because I will just say stuff that won't benefit me.  I will say that if they don't do things to help FAU centric businesses survive in that area, there is not going to be a lot of new FAU centric businesses jumping to get in on the opportunity.

Owls Up!

Posted On: Nov 16th 2015, 10:49 PM #352047

They need to create a Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) district with special taxing authority and financing to encourage private development in the vision if they are serious.

Back to the top

fauowl said

LawOwl said

Owls Up!

When we went to see you at the store before a game I was shocked that you could not get into campu via 20th on game day, totally nuts
Back to the top

fauowl said

They continue to block off 20th street into the campus on football gameday.

You'll have to change your game day slogan to "Just a 2.5 mile detour around campus"!

:Laughing:

:Straight-Face:

:Sleepy:
Back to the top

OwlBroker said

When we went to see you at the store before a game I was shocked that you could not get into campu via 20th on game day, totally nuts
Posted On: Nov 17th 2015, 12:31 AM #352050

I think their thought is they do not want to have our massive fan base driving through residential areas. There is more traffic in that area on a regular school day than on gameday. It's a joke. And city officials (and others) themselves hate having to go to the game via Glades Road or Spanish River so you know what they do?

They drive up to the police officer who is blocking 20th Street and they get waved through the roadblock. I witnessed it myself.  We have been talking about a corridor for many years. We will be talking about it for many more.

If fans begin to feel it is an inconvenience to visit 20th Street before the game because of this, it will hurt businesses on 20th Street. If places like Upark complain about it being an inconvenience to their residents, it would help. They have some power. Although their solution would be to just wave their shuttle bus through the roadblock and solve that complaint. I very much doubt the City cares about my silly little business.
Back to the top
Control functions: