Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

School spirit taking a hit?

Add topic

Rick said

fauowl said

They continue to block off 20th street into the campus on football gameday.
Posted On: Nov 16th 2015, 10:49 PM #352047

You'll have to change your game day slogan to "Just a 2.5 mile detour around campus"!

:Laughing:

:Straight-Face:

:Sleepy:
Posted On: Nov 17th 2015, 7:35 AM #352051

+1

Back to the top

Apologies to owl2Doc if I have high jacked this thread, but I think 20th Street is a subject where they could create an environment that would promote school Spirit.

My interim solution for blocking 20th Street off before games:

The city is already paying an officer to sit in his car and block the road. Why not have that officer sit in his car on the side of the road and let traffic flow in from 20th Street. If traffic gets out of hand or what they deem out of hand, he can simply then pull his car into the middle of the road at that point and divert the masses elsewhere. I think they would quickly learn there is not a huge traffic problem.

Ok, I think I beat this dead horse enough. 
Back to the top

fauowl said

Apologies to owl2Doc if I have high jacked this thread, but I think 20th Street is a subject where they could create an environment that would promote school Spirit.

The city is already paying an officer to sit in his car and block the road. Why not have that officer sit in his car on the side of the road and let traffic flow in from 20th Street. If traffic gets out of hand or what they deem out of hand, he can simply then pull his car into the middle of the road at that point and divert the masses elsewhere. I think they would quickly learn there is not a huge traffic problem.

Posted On: Nov 17th 2015, 8:10 AM #352054

I think we have a slightly different problem.
I remember being with you when you spoke with Kelly and the Mayor at the 20th street event and they both agreed.
I bet this is more of an issue of the left hand not talking to the right hand and the fact no other businesses really care right now.
If I were you I would remind them every chance I get.
For example you should have tweeted a pic of the street blocked off at Kelly With "Hurting 20th street businesses"
I'm sure you have Chun's email I would remind him every time the street is blocked.

Also guest when I spoke with the mayor she did say the city was working on tax incentives for college type businesses to be put on 20th though she did tell me it was going to be difficult to get the current businesses to move.
The city can not force them out, so basically they have to make it uncomfortable for them so they just decide to leave.
Then as Mark pointed out we then need people to want to open FAU type businesses.
If no one steps up and wants to turn the fabric store into lets say another FAU sports bar the city wont wait and they will let someone corporate  take over and the last thing I want to see is Buffalo wild wings type place on 20th when it could be Owlcountry's ''fired'' BBQ pit and bar.
Back to the top

Just for some perspective, there's some buzz about an LSU player calling out their fans on Twitter for leaving in the 3rd quarter and being bad fans…it's not only us, they just happen to have 60k die Hards that'll stay through a loss, we have 1500. 
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

fauowl said

Posted On: Nov 17th 2015, 8:10 AM #352054
I think we have a slightly different problem.
I remember being with you when you spoke with Kelly and the Mayor at the 20th street event and they both agreed.
I bet this is more of an issue of the left hand not talking to the right hand and the fact no other businesses really care right now.
If I were you I would remind them every chance I get.
For example you should have tweeted a pic of the street blocked off at Kelly With "Hurting 20th street businesses"
I'm sure you have Chun's email I would remind him every time the street is blocked.

Also guest when I spoke with the mayor she did say the city was working on tax incentives for college type businesses to be put on 20th though she did tell me it was going to be difficult to get the current businesses to move.
The city can not force them out, so basically they have to make it uncomfortable for them so they just decide to leave.
Then as Mark pointed out we then need people to want to open FAU type businesses.
If no one steps up and wants to turn the fabric store into lets say another FAU sports bar the city wont wait and they will let someone corporate  take over and the last thing I want to see is Buffalo wild wings type place on 20th when it could be Owlcountry's ''fired'' BBQ pit and bar.

Posted On: Nov 17th 2015, 9:35 AM #352055

A buffalo wild wings would be fine, although a duffys on 20th street would be nice too.
The businesses do not all have to be student based although having student friendly businesses on the front side of the street and the others like the econo auto painting on the side street would be fine.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

IF and WHEN we win games, it will change. Who on here saw the Houston - Memphis game Saturday? it was great support for Houston, a sell out and excited fans WHO DID NOT QUIT THE TEAM  and walk out when they were down 20 twice, AND playing without their star qb!

Great comeback by them and GREAT support for a school who has not had great support in the past!
Posted On: Nov 16th 2015, 8:35 PM #352043

Terrible analogy.  Who walks out on a team that is 9-0?  
Back to the top

sigep77 said

GeorgiaOwl said

IF and WHEN we win games, it will change. Who on here saw the Houston - Memphis game Saturday? it was great support for Houston, a sell out and excited fans WHO DID NOT QUIT THE TEAM  and walk out when they were down 20 twice, AND playing without their star qb!

Great comeback by them and GREAT support for a school who has not had great support in the past!
Posted On: Nov 16th 2015, 8:35 PM #352043

Terrible analogy.  Who walks out on a team that is 9-0?  
Posted On: Nov 17th 2015, 8:29 PM #352066

I fell like LOT'S of our fans and students would at this point. When we get to 9-0 I hope that culture would change our actions and our fans will stick thorugh thick and thin! Go Owls!!

Mostly I was just feeling great for Houston and wising that was us!
Back to the top

Actually, a couple of years ago Nick Saban publicly admonished the Alabamba students for leaving after half time when the games were well in hand.  The party, the game day experience, the social side had overwhelmed the game. His point was that, win or lose, if the players stayed for the whole 60 minutes then the fans should show their support and also stay.
I personally like the example set by the Aggies, where my boys went, where the students stand for the whole game.  Absolutely incredible.
Back to the top
Control functions: