Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Old Dominion Game Thread - November 28th, 2015

Add topic

Historically the Owls have played to the level of their opponents. Played well against good teams and sloppy against not so good teams.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I worry about this upcoming game with ODU.  I truly hope our players come out and crush them fast AND HOLD ON FOR A W!  

This ODU team is very good at mounting a comeback win (like they did on us last year).

"Winning by the Skin of Their Teeth in 2015:
Old Dominion’s five wins have come by a combined 36 points, for an average of 7.2 points a win"

Game 12 Preview: Old Dominion vs. Florida Atlantic - Old Dominion Official Athletic Site

Make a believer out of those who doubt your tenacity FAU!  GO OWLS!!

Back to the top

FIU beat ODU Monarchs to a pulp 41-12… but that was with ODU's other QB and RB. This will be a knockout fight of a game.

Old Dominion vs. Florida Intl - Game Summary - October 24, 2015 - ESPN

Here's the ODU forum about the SUPER BOWL!

The Super Bowl, November 28th.
Back to the top

"Thank Pelini and his JUCO heavy recruiting for that."

THAT is one area I beleive Pelini was correct in, we are hurting ourselves by not bringinhg in SOME more seasoned adult players. EVERY Power5 program does it and everyone in CUSA does it as well to some degree.

Look at this years team and you see Quez starting at qb and Bryant starting at DT. Pelein did it right, only 6 or 7 out of 25 recruits per year were JUCOS. He filled holes and brought in some quality starters and NFL caliber talent like Lucky!

We ARE suffering this year because we don't have the filed experince with tons of true frehman playing A LOT which is good for the future but hurt us this year.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

THAT is one area I beleive Pelini was correct in, we are hurting ourselves by not bringinhg in SOME more seasoned adult players. EVERY Power5 program does it and everyone in CUSA does it as well to some degree.

Look at this years team and you see Quez starting at qb and Bryant starting at DT. Pelein did it right, only 6 or 7 out of 25 recruits per year were JUCOS. He filled holes and brought in some quality starters and NFL caliber talent like Lucky!

We ARE suffering this year because we don't have the filed experince with tons of true frehman playing A LOT which is good for the future but hurt us this year.
Posted On: Nov 24th 2015, 8:45 PM #352405
I agree, we should have and should continue to recruit JUCO players that fit our program.  A blanket "no JUCO's" policy hurts our program.

By "fit our program" I mean playing ability, scholastically and character.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

I agree, we should have and should continue to recruit JUCO players that fit our program.  A blanket "no JUCO's" policy hurts our program.

Posted On: Nov 24th 2015, 9:09 PM #352406

Jucos are high risk.  They goto junior college for a reason.  We are taking our lumps due to inexperience but it will payoff in the end.

Back to the top

oc irritant said

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Jucos are high risk.  They goto junior college for a reason.  We are taking our lumps due to inexperience but it will payoff in the end.

Posted On: Nov 24th 2015, 9:44 PM #352407

They are high risk if they aren't qualified properly.  

Kansas State has made an entire high level program out of JUCO's.  Not saying we should follow that model, but qualified properly JUCO's can be an important addition to a program.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

oc irritant said

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Nov 24th 2015, 9:44 PM #352407

They are high risk if they aren't qualified properly.  

Kansas State has made an entire high level program out of JUCO's.  Not saying we should follow that model, but qualified properly JUCO's can be an important addition to a program.  

Jucos should be the exception.  The jucos available to us compared to the jucos the power 5 have available to them is night and day.  We get the high risk ones.  Plus the power 5 have enough resources to baby sit these kids and make sure they goto class.  We do not.  I am happy with the way we are building.  I can't wait until we don't have 26 freshman on the two deep.  That will be an interesting team to watch.  I believe.
Back to the top

One of the main selling points in Charlie's "pitch" is the opportunity to play right away at FAU when he's recruiting kids, he will most certainly point to the number of true freshmen playing now during visits this winter. the juco game creates a risk that we don't land herb Miller or Ocie rose because we took some guy who just got out of prison to play db for us for a season. 

If he recruits properly (and we don't forget to take a linebacker for 3 years) then we shouldn't run into any major holes on the roster it just becomes next man up…sounds good in theory anyway.
Back to the top

Got my tickets for the ODU game….who's going!  Hope to see some OWLS out there in Va Beach.  Go Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: