Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Old Dominion Game Thread - November 28th, 2015

Add topic

I am not a huge fan of recruiting JUCO's at all.
First as many of you said its high risk players and for everyone super star DE you find there are two kids who don't play a down.
The issue was for us is its hard to go from recruiting JUCO's to pure high school recruiting.

Also lets say Charlie wanted to recruit some JUCO's he might not me able to or be well connected enough in that circle to get the players he wants.
To recruit from Juco's schools you have to be helping them find players as well.
This is what Troy was doing for all those years they would sign 37 players and send 14 to JUCO schools in the hopes that they would be able to get half of those kids back in 2 years.
Also I don't want to be K State they are fr the most part Avg. in their conference with a great year every 5 to 6 years. I have higher aspirations than that.

Charlie is recruiting just fine and that was proven on Saturday. (That performance is why I thought this team SHOULD have won 8 games this year).
Idk, but after Saturday you just cant explain losing to UTEP to me other then we were out coached and didn't come ready to play.  

Back to the top

Anybody have any idea if we had roster casualties throughout this year? 

Also, what players from this past class will actually end up redshirted other than parr if there is even another one? 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Anybody have any idea if we had roster casualties throughout this year? 

Also, what players from this past class will actually end up redshirted other than parr if there is even another one? 
Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 9:04 AM #352413

I'm pretty sure all the 2015 O-linemen redshirted as none of them played (A couple dressed)
Napier, Brunson, Whyte, Harrison, Kittles, Harris, Dexter, Miner (was hurt) are all skill guys I did not see play.
A couple dressed for a few games.

Guys like Archer, Lewis, Downer I saw play SP. Teams.
I am most curios about Reggie brown who tore his ACL during the BAMA game last year and they said he was coming along in preseason, yet he didn't play a down this year.
Did they use a redshirt on him this year or maybe hoping they can get a medical year out of him in a couple years?
Back to the top

teambeer said

One of the main selling points in Charlie's "pitch" is the opportunity to play right away at FAU when he's recruiting kids, he will most certainly point to the number of true freshmen playing now during visits this winter. the juco game creates a risk that we don't land herb Miller or Ocie rose because we took some guy who just got out of prison to play db for us for a season. 

If he recruits properly (and we don't forget to take a linebacker for 3 years) then we shouldn't run into any major holes on the roster it just becomes next man up…sounds good in theory anyway.
Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 5:06 AM #352410
This pitch will become irrelavant either way.  As the freshman playing now get older…the freshman below them will not see playing time.

"we took some guy who just got out of prison to play db for us for a season. " - I didn't say anything about recruiting transfers from UF.

If the recruiting pipleline is full, coaching turnover minimal, injuries and other reasons for attrition kept low….no, you will not need any JUCO's to fill holes.

Dont forget guys like Glanton, Whitehead, Bryant, etc have played integral roles and have made the NFL.  We have had a much higher success rate with JUCO's than people on this board are making it seem.  (Jonathan Wallace, Derrick Butcher, Mustafa Johnson, list goes on....)

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Also I don't want to be K State they are fr the most part Avg. in their conference with a great year every 5 to 6 years. I have higher aspirations than that.

Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 8:44 AM #352412
Huh???????    :Thinking:  :Thinking:  :Thinking:

I dont care where we get our players…if we can accomplish this in a P5 conference in the next 20 years I will be thrilled.  

Kansas State's record below.  Lets not even mention there are ZERO recruits in the state of Kansas.

Season   Final Record

1993   9–2–1
1994   9–3
1995   10–2
1996   9–3
1997   11–1
1998   11–2
1999   11–1
2000   11–3
2002   11–2
2003   11–4
2011   10–3
2012   11–2
2014   9–4

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

owlcountry40 said

Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 8:44 AM #352412
Huh???????

I dont care where we get our players…if we can accomplish this in a P5 conference in the next 20 years I will be thrilled.

Kansas State's record below.  Lets not even mention there are ZERO recruits in the state of Kansas.

Season   Final Record

1993   9–2–1
1994   9–3
1995   10–2
1996   9–3
1997   11–1
1998   11–2
1999   11–1
2000   11–3
2002   11–2
2003   11–4
2011   10–3
2012   11–2
2014   9–4

Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 1:21 PM #352419
The years they didn't list here the averaged about 5 wins.
as of now during Snyder's 2 stint as coach he's just 35-25 in conference.
Don't get me wrong Bill Snyder is a great coach and game planner, but lets also remember K State needs to take Juco's due to the lack of talent in their state.
Why take a LB this past season because we needed that position that had grade issues from the mid west when you have a kid Azeez AL-Shaair in your back yard.
I don't mid a JUCO every once in awhile, but Charlie is right you when it comes to JUCO's.
Just needs to figure out that whole being a coach on Saturday thing…….  
Back to the top

As long as we are signing 3* players HS recruiting is fine, but I would much rather have a JUCO over a 2* or most all of our NO Star recruits (maybe one other FCS offer or NONE!).
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

As long as we are signing 3* players HS recruiting is fine, but I would much rather have a JUCO over a 2* or most all of our NO Star recruits (maybe one other FCS offer or NONE!).
Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 3:55 PM #352423

Do you know who else were NO STARS:
Cory Henry
D'joun Smith
Andrea Kirk
Alfred Morris
Lestar Jean
David Hinds
Randell Johnson
Damian Parms
Trey Hendrickson
Reggie Bain

All I'm saying is we've found a few gems out there.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Cory Henry
D'joun Smith
Andrea Kirk
Alfred Morris
Lestar Jean
David Hinds
Randell Johnson
Damian Parms
Trey Hendrickson
Reggie Bain

Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 10:15 PM #352429

Don't forget about the greatest player in FAU history IMO, Rusty Smith. No one recruited him. One of the few college players to be allowed to call their own plays and change the play call at the line of scrimmage.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Island_Owl88 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Cory Henry
D'joun Smith
Andrea Kirk
Alfred Morris
Lestar Jean
David Hinds
Randell Johnson
Damian Parms
Trey Hendrickson
Reggie Bain

Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 10:15 PM #352429

Don't forget about the greatest player in FAU history IMO, Rusty Smith. No one recruited him. One of the few college players to be allowed to call their own plays and change the play call at the line of scrimmage.
Posted On: Nov 25th 2015, 10:21 PM #352430

Please don't turn this into star rankings aren't important. How large do you think the list is of no star who never got to see the field at FAU is? Yeah there is always going to be diamonds in the rough at every school. 
Back to the top
Control functions: