Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Brian Wright exit near??

Rumor has it that he interview for the Montana State head coaching position after the season.
Fingers crossed.
Back to the top

i appreciate what he did for the program when they needed him most, but he needs to go. Offense is one of the most inconsistent and sloppy that i've ever seen. I know a LOT of that also has to do with Quez who peaked as a redshirt sophomore, but the bad play calling is on Wright. Godspeed montana st.
Back to the top

I like Brian Wright and would like to vouch for him but our offense was anemic this year with a senior QB. It didn't feel like we ever made adjustments in the second half even though their defense would.

If he goes I'm sure Partridge has somebody in mind.
Back to the top

He needs to go. He did a great job for a 4 game stretch, but other than that the offense has been very inconsistent for the past 4 years. The offense looks like it's been building towards more of pro-style offense as well. I don't think it suits him at all. I just hope we can replace him someone decent because I could imagine some coaches could be scared to come here if they think there is any doubt to coach Partridge job security. 
Back to the top

I think Delt is right, we are moving away from the run-spread that Wright never really got going here anyway. Wright did a nice job keeping the team together during a tough time and for that, I thank him but this year has been unacceptable. It's nice if Charlie is giving him a heads up I guess…

As for OCs, I think we have two options and Chun and his checkbook will determine if we can even afford to hire anyone with significant experience, 100k doesn't get you much in D1 football.
The second and I think possible option…we try someone out, ala Dan Shula or Jared Allen. But Charlie is taking a pretty big risk putting his offense into the hands of someone that is totally unproven in his final year.
Back to the top

teambeer said

As for OCs, I think we have two options and Chun and his checkbook will determine if we can even afford to hire anyone with significant experience, 100k doesn't get you much in D1 football.
The second and I think possible option…we try someone out, ala Dan Shula or Jared Allen. But Charlie is taking a pretty big risk putting his offense into the hands of someone that is totally unproven in his final year.
Posted On: Nov 27th 2015, 7:25 AM #352444

I don't know if anyone is coming or going but I have to wonder if any of the coaching positions are attractive to an outsider right now.  To come in and be underpaid, and know that if the team under performs in year 3 that there's a possibility of major changes…not sure what the experienced talent pool would look like with our current situation.
Back to the top

fauowl said

teambeer said

Posted On: Nov 27th 2015, 7:25 AM #352444

I don't know if anyone is coming or going but I have to wonder if any of the coaching positions are attractive to an outsider right now.  To come in and be underpaid, and know that if the team under performs in year 3 that there's a possibility of major changes…not sure what the experienced talent pool would look like with our current situation.
Posted On: Nov 27th 2015, 7:45 AM #352445

I'm less worried about this soya room because of the position of OC in 2015.
Every time you watch football today no matter what level you someone putting up points on points.
There are so many coaches who spread a bunch of athletes up a score points.
Somebody out there is going want to take a chance to take the next step in his career.
If someone comes here and turns the offense around and we go 9-3 that guy will get tremendous amount credit.
You can also toss in that he recruited Florida for year that coach will be highly sought after.
Back to the top

For candidates, HERE is a list of the top offenses in the FCS.

I'm sure one of those guys want to move up.

If we want to stay within the realm of FBS to ensure the guys know how to play at this level, maybe we can steal one of the assistants from Baylor/Texas Tech/Oregon. Any of those would be great training to take over as OC here, especially if they also recruit Texas.
Back to the top

I know some dont like the idea…but everybody was an OC for the 1st time at some point.

Jared Allen has been a coach for us since 2009.  He has coached the TE's, QB's, RB's, WR's over the years along with serving as the recruitiing coordinator.

He also played QB for us for 4 years.  Has been with the program since 2001.

If his vision of how to run the offense aligns with our talents and CP's vision…I say give him a shot in year 3.  As at least the co-offensive coordinator.  

For what we pay and the position we are in along with the dedication and experience he has…it kind of makes sense.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

As I've said many times, Wright's offense is designed for a healthy Quez. When Quez can't run we have to rely on his arm and he's just not that great as a pocket passer. The combination of his legs and arm are what make him dangerous. Just look at the ONLY game he was healthy for (Tulsa), we put up 44 points. Also, look at what he did against FIU, which was the best he ran all year with the exception of Tulsa. I agree that playcalling has been bad, and good OCs should be able to make adjustments, I'm just saying that the offense this year would look a heck of a lot different with a healthy Quez.

But that's also why I think there needs to be a change. It seems like Charlie wants to run a more pro-style offense (we recruited a FB for goodness sakes!) So either he trusts Wright to install a more traditional offense or he's got someone lined up. Methinks it's the latter.
Back to the top
Control functions: