Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Brian Wright exit near??

owlcountry40 said

fauowl said

teambeer said

As for OCs, I think we have two options and Chun and his checkbook will determine if we can even afford to hire anyone with significant experience, 100k doesn't get you much in D1 football.
The second and I think possible option…we try someone out, ala Dan Shula or Jared Allen. But Charlie is taking a pretty big risk putting his offense into the hands of someone that is totally unproven in his final year.
Posted On: Nov 27th 2015, 7:25 AM #352444

I don't know if anyone is coming or going but I have to wonder if any of the coaching positions are attractive to an outsider right now.  To come in and be underpaid, and know that if the team under performs in year 3 that there's a possibility of major changes…not sure what the experienced talent pool would look like with our current situation.
Posted On: Nov 27th 2015, 7:45 AM #352445

I'm less worried about this soya room because of the position of OC in 2015.
Every time you watch football today no matter what level you someone putting up points on points.
There are so many coaches who spread a bunch of athletes up a score points.
Somebody out there is going want to take a chance to take the next step in his career.
If someone comes here and turns the offense around and we go 9-3 that guy will get tremendous amount credit.
You can also toss in that he recruited Florida for year that coach will be highly sought after.
Posted On: Nov 27th 2015, 9:44 AM #352446

FAUfasho said

As I've said many times, Wright's offense is designed for a healthy Quez. When Quez can't run we have to rely on his arm and he's just not that great as a pocket passer. The combination of his legs and arm are what make him dangerous. Just look at the ONLY game he was healthy for (Tulsa), we put up 44 points. Also, look at what he did against FIU, which was the best he ran all year with the exception of Tulsa. I agree that playcalling has been bad, and good OCs should be able to make adjustments, I'm just saying that the offense this year would look a heck of a lot different with a healthy Quez.

But that's also why I think there needs to be a change. It seems like Charlie wants to run a more pro-style offense (we recruited a FB for goodness sakes!) So either he trusts Wright to install a more traditional offense or he's got someone lined up. Methinks it's the latter.
Posted On: Nov 27th 2015, 10:24 PM #352466

I would like us to promote from within instead of bringing in a guy whose system will have to be learned again by players and we have to recruit players to fit that system. Guys like a shula or allen. Maybe one of the offensive assistants like graham wilbert just saying if you want to budget. On the other hand if we keep the playbook but bring in a guy who is more aggressive with the talent we do have, then it be fun. but we are guessing on rumors and such. but i agree with the talent we have, offense was terrible this year. It was like a flip flop of last season. Our offense last year except a couple of times put us in position to win and defense fail, this year total opposite. Defense put us in position to win and offense failed.
Back to the top

Well what about a Palm Beach or Broward high school HC who has a track record of success and can bring more So Flo talent? I'm thinking about ROGER HARRIOT . Also, I think the inconsistent play at qb really hurt us. I like Quez for being the face of little found stability for our program for the past three years which I view as a transitional era but he is way overrated. He peaked last year and I'm happy that he'll be handing the reigns to Parr next yr
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I would like us to promote from within instead of bringing in a guy whose system will have to be learned again by players and we have to recruit players to fit that system. Guys like a shula or allen. Maybe one of the offensive assistants like graham wilbert just saying if you want to budget. On the other hand if we keep the playbook but bring in a guy who is more aggressive with the talent we do have, then it be fun. but we are guessing on rumors and such. but i agree with the talent we have, offense was terrible this year. It was like a flip flop of last season. Our offense last year except a couple of times put us in position to win and defense fail, this year total opposite. Defense put us in position to win and offense failed.

Posted On: Nov 27th 2015, 11:05 PM #352468

They don't need to learn a new system there are a ton of speed guys out there.
It's a pretty easy offense to run and learn.

Back to the top

I have to disagree with you there, LawOwl.

I don't want a guy who left college to go back to high school coaching TWICE - and who blatantly lied about it the second time - to ever be on staff at our program again. He can send his best recruits to us from right where he is there.

And I definitely wouldn't take a successful high school coach over a guy who has learned under the most prolific offenses in college football (Baylor, Oregon, etc) and knows what it takes to upset major teams at the college level.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I have to disagree with you there, LawOwl.

I don't want a guy who left college to go back to high school coaching TWICE - and who blatantly lied about it the second time - to ever be on staff at our program again. He can send his best recruits to us from right where he is there.

And I definitely wouldn't take a successful high school coach over a guy who has learned under the most prolific offenses in college football (Baylor, Oregon, etc) and knows what it takes to upset major teams at the college level.
Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 10:57 AM #352478

WE are probably NEVER going to get the best recruits from St. Thomas, no matter the HC there. Not until we get to the 10-2 or 11-1 entertaing and fun level like Houston and Memphis. They are gobbled up with numerous offers from Power5 schools all across the country. They are NOT going to sign with a weak 3-9 CUSA team EVER! I hate to admit this but they turned their back on him when he was still here. We lost all 4 of our top commits last year!
Back to the top

Dude if Wright and Shula don't get the boot by the end of the week I am going to be mad.
81st rated total offence this year…..
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Dude if Wright and Shula don't get the boot by the end of the week I am going to be mad.
81st rated total offence this year…..

Posted On: Dec 1st 2015, 12:27 PM #352685

Don't wait for the end of the week.  They would have been fired by now.  I would boycott if I were you.  And don't come back until real change is implemented!!

Back to the top

Did you guys know Mark Richt (GA) is a local guy… Star QB at Boca High… mmh  :Thinking:

Just wanted to throw that out there… in this specific thread… for no apparent reason…  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

Did you guys know Mark Richt (GA) is a local guy… Star QB at Boca High… mmh  :Thinking:

Just wanted to throw that out there… in this specific thread… for no apparent reason…  :Big-Grin:
Posted On: Dec 1st 2015, 1:32 PM #352693

Maybe he ends up st South Carolina…that would be the best thing - just like Spurrier. Then he could whoop GA's arse for the stupid move they made.
Back to the top

Richt went to UM but I really don't see HIM fitting the thug culture of UM anymore, but hey, he would probably run off 20 or 30 players. Maybe we could get one or two of 'em here. That is, if we want 'em.
Back to the top
Control functions: