Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Old Dominion Game Thread - November 28th, 2015

Add topic

Rick said

Don't think Driskel will be the starter.

Don't think we are going win 8-9 games.

7-5 would be a great year (2-2 NC, 5-3 C-USA)

6-6 would be expected (2-2 NC, 4-4 C-USA)

Anything less, and Partridge could be done.

Hold the tomatoes.
Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 9:23 PM #352611

Guessing you have Parr slotted?  

I sound mean about Driskell…but c'mon, he isn't ready to play.  I dont know what his stats are on 3rd down…but they have to be horrendous.  I really wish CP would have given those snaps to Parr this year if he was the future.  Get him experience and let us get exctited.  I dont get RS him if you're not going to be around to coach him???

6-6 next year has to be the goal after two 3 win seasons in a row….and a big goal at that.  

By the way FSU shut out UF's offense in Gainesville.  They are inept more than we played well.

This season was a complete and utter disaster.  Our ONLY highlight was beating FIU because they are a rival.  Aside from that…EVERYTHING else was a disappointment.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

oc irritant said

GeorgiaOwl said

LawOwl said

Great to see the guys end it with a win I like how Partridge handled the end of that game sticking with Driskel but I sure do miss Greg Hankerson right now!
Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 4:52 PM #352591

Hankerson?

Congrats on the comeback win Owls, that one was slipping away quickly. Gotta find some consistancy in a positive way, we are only consistant in being ral good or real bad on D at any given time. the O, just mostly bad. Still, gotta finish drives Owls, whay can we NOT throw in the endzone for TD's when teams that were bad when we were bad have improved SO MUCH (S. Miss, Memphis, WKU - none of them Power5, all OUR LEVEL!).

So NO recruiting edge, in fact not as good, but being Coached better - figure out the problem Charlie and FIX IT, that is your job.

Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 5:08 PM #352593

We played Memphis in a bowl game so it's not like they were bad when we played them.  And look at those teams are any of them re-building the way we are?

Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 5:54 PM #352597

Memphis like us got bad after that, fired thier HC and hired Fuente. They each have rebuilt faster than we have. Heck, WKU was 0-12 and 1-23 over their 1st 2 years in FBS. As has been posted on this site MANY times, at THIS LEVEL, it DOES NOT take 3 or 4 years to change a team.

By the way, S. Miss is your CUSA Western Division Champion! Destroyed La. Tech today and are now 8-4! WKU is your CUSA Eastern Division Champion at 10-2 and Memphis ended up 9-3 after being ranked this year in top 15!

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

oc irritant said

GeorgiaOwl said

LawOwl said

Great to see the guys end it with a win I like how Partridge handled the end of that game sticking with Driskel but I sure do miss Greg Hankerson right now!
Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 4:52 PM #352591
Hankerson?

Congrats on the comeback win Owls, that one was slipping away quickly. Gotta find some consistancy in a positive way, we are only consistant in being ral good or real bad on D at any given time. the O, just mostly bad. Still, gotta finish drives Owls, whay can we NOT throw in the endzone for TD's when teams that were bad when we were bad have improved SO MUCH (S. Miss, Memphis, WKU - none of them Power5, all OUR LEVEL!).

So NO recruiting edge, in fact not as good, but being Coached better - figure out the problem Charlie and FIX IT, that is your job.

Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 5:08 PM #352593
We played Memphis in a bowl game so it's not like they were bad when we played them.  And look at those teams are any of them re-building the way we are?

Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 5:54 PM #352597
Memphis like us got bad after that, fired thier HC and hired Fuente. They each have rebuilt faster than we have. Heck, WKU was 0-12 and 1-23 over their 1st 2 years in FBS. As has been posted on this site MANY times, at THIS LEVEL, it DOES NOT take 3 or 4 years to change a team.

By the way, S. Miss is your CUSA Western Division Champion! Destroyed La. Tech today and are now 8-4! WKU is your CUSA Eastern Division Champion at 10-2 and Memphis ended up 9-3 after being ranked this year in top 15!

Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 11:13 PM #352614
No, they have not.  Fuente took over in December 2011.  Memphis was 4-8 in 2012 and 3-9 in 2013.  It wasn't until his 3rd season that Memphis made strides.

It usually does take 3 years to turn a program around.

on top of that, they are now back at square one.  Lets build the infrastructure and get qualified people in fundraising positions so when we find our Fuente...we can keep him.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 11:12 PM #352613

No change in stance…

Rick said

While the running game for Driskel and Parr are relatively even, the arm is not and head knowledge is closing rapidly.

Book Parr vs Southern Illinois on September 3rd, 2016.

Posted On: Nov 19th 2015, 10:58 AM #352133

Back to the top

Is this Oyster bowl a real thing? If so how did they come up with this as a rival game? 
Back to the top

@Walty, correct about Fuente. 10-1 in third year after no bowls first two. 9-3 this year and off he goes to more money land. Wish we could have that same problem that Memphis has.
Back to the top

Rick said

walty12 said

Rick said

Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 11:12 PM #352613
No change in stance…

Rick said

While the running game for Driskel and Parr are relatively even, the arm is not and head knowledge is closing rapidly.

Book Parr vs Southern Illinois on September 3rd, 2016.

Posted On: Nov 19th 2015, 10:58 AM #352133
Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 11:50 PM #352616
I don't know how good Driskel can be and I've never seen Parr play.  However, I don't get why we are all so quick to dismiss Driskel. I thought he had some good moments where you saw flashes of how he'd fit into this offense.

He was thrown into action early because of injury when he may not have been quite ready to play.  Then, playing 1 series a game isn't exactly easy to do and establish any sort of rhythm on offense.  So he may not have impressed like you would have hoped, but if I remember correctly, Rusty Smith improved dramatically from his freshman year to his sophomore season.

I hope one of Driskel or Parr (or both) turn out to be the guy that gets FAU back to winning consistently.  I just wouldn't be so fast to give up on Driskel just based on what we saw this season.  This offseason will be important for the development of both QBs.     
Back to the top

Rusty was awful his Freshman year. I remember screaming to put Clayton back in because he was so bad…good thing I'm not a coach,lol.

One thing that I think is drastically missing is player development, especially on the offensive side. We had a great OC/QB coach in Gary Nord that made Schnellenberger's "diamonds in the rough" develop by their Jr. year to be contributors. We haven't had that since 2009.

Driskell shows flashes of what he can be and I'm sure Parr is doing the same in practice. But if we don't have a good QB coach then it doesn't matte who plays because they won't develop like they could.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Jake said

Can we find a new sport to play as Owls?

Like one where we only play defense?

That would be great.
Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 3:34 PM #352580

1. Kickball should be a college sport.
2. We'd be pretty good at it if it was.

Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 9:32 PM #352612

I concur with Doc.

Kickball it is.

I love dropkicks and fat guy touchdowns.

Twitter: @jakobsansom
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

One thing that I think is drastically missing is player development, especially on the offensive side. We had a great OC/QB coach in Gary Nord that made Schnellenberger's "diamonds in the rough" develop by their Jr. year to be contributors. We haven't had that since 2009.

Driskell shows flashes of what he can be and I'm sure Parr is doing the same in practice. But if we don't have a good QB coach then it doesn't matter who plays because they won't develop like they could.

Which brings up an interesting point: if we dump Wright we need a new QB coach as well.

Would you support re-hiring Gary Nord as QB/OC? I believe he's available.
Back to the top
Control functions: