Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Old Dominion Game Thread - November 28th, 2015

Add topic

Rick said

Don't think Driskel will be the starter.

Don't think we are going win 8-9 games.

7-5 would be a great year (2-2 NC, 5-3 C-USA)

6-6 would be expected (2-2 NC, 4-4 C-USA)

Anything less, and Partridge could be done.

Hold the tomatoes.
Posted On: Nov 28th 2015, 9:23 PM #352611

A bowl game has to be the expectation for 2016 anything less should be the end of Partridge. There will be enough talent on this team to make that happen. 7 wins I believe is where this team needs to be. A lot of 3 year coaches made huge strides in that 3rd year from awful records to 7 to 9 wins. 

Back to the top

walty12 said

On top of that, they are now back at square one.  Lets build the infrastructure and get qualified people in fundraising positions so when we find our Fuente…we can keep him.

Makes me wonder when we'll be in a position to offer somebody $1M to coach here. A decade? More? 

If Partridge knocked it out of the park in years 3 and 4 and left, could we do something like Arkansas State and jump from 500k to 700-800k? They've had good success in the past few years since offering money at that level: Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, Bryan Harsin. They finally stabilized with Blake Anderson by adding a $3M buyout but even he's done well this season as the Red Wolves are 8-3 and perfect in the Sun Belt.

Maybe Pat Chun needs to contact former FAU employee and current ASU AD Terry Mohajir for some coach- hiring tips.
Back to the top

Great to get the win to end the season. It's time to turn the corner in 2016.

Whoever the OC, Wright or otherwise, please stop with the ridiculous amount of trick plays.  The announcer for the Gator game said we ran over 70 trick plays. Seriously? I swear it's like watching a junior high school team at times. We are 3-9 and run more trick plays than anyone in the country. It is not working. Play some in-your-face quality football. Please. No one does that at this level.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

FAUfasho said

One thing that I think is drastically missing is player development, especially on the offensive side. We had a great OC/QB coach in Gary Nord that made Schnellenberger's "diamonds in the rough" develop by their Jr. year to be contributors. We haven't had that since 2009.

Driskell shows flashes of what he can be and I'm sure Parr is doing the same in practice. But if we don't have a good QB coach then it doesn't matter who plays because they won't develop like they could.

Which brings up an interesting point: if we dump Wright we need a new QB coach as well.

Would you support re-hiring Gary Nord as QB/OC? I believe he's available.
Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 9:18 AM #352623

Ok there is so much for OC to address here.
1st why would you want a pro style OC who failed at his last job and hasnt been coach in three year to be our OC?!?!?.

Also local owl hit the nail on the head when they talked about player deleloment.
This has me most worried about this staff.
Let's just look at the WR position this year.
Did Woods or Salomon take steps forward? 
Ralph Leonard was supposed to be a recruiting steal for us "SEC WR" as Charile said, yet only one catch this year.
Nate Terry did not take a step forward catching the ball.
This goes back to me pointing out how bad Dukes was his senior year.
You guys can talk about a Juco WR,but this staff has proven they haven't been able to get the most out of our WR core. 

Also Rick I have two questions out of curiosity 
1st why, so confident in Parr.?
Parr was good in high school, but it's hard to predict QB's let alone ones who played at too high schools loaded with talent.
NFL teams spend thousands of hours trying to figure out if they should take a QB in the 1st round and yet that's only sucssful 40 percent of the time.

Also why is 7-5 your expectation?
If guys like Monken, Taggert, and Funtes all won 8-9 thier third year with a bowl game still to come why would Charile get away with a mediocre 7-5? 
Back to the top

"I don't know how good Driskel can be and I've never seen Parr play.  However, I don't get why we are all so quick to dismiss Driskel. I thought he had some good moments where you saw flashes of how he'd fit into this offense."

To be clear…I have not given up on or dismissed Driskell.  I have said many times…I think he needs another 2 years of development before he is ready for the field.  Or at least to win at the rate people on this board think our program should be winning.  No way he is ready to lead our team to 8-9 wins.  He is a RS Freshman this year, I believe he will be good enough to start and win as a RS Junior (which is how football used to work).  And please spare me the…but this one program has a RS Freshman or this one time a program turned it around in 2 years.

I wasn't watching the game live yesterday but was following twitter and the nest.  I read all these comment about how amazing Driskell looks…I get home and watch the game and wonder what in the heck people are talking about.  He has a strong arm.  Aside from being able to throw a football, he rates low in everything else.

According to some on this board, players dont develop.  They are as freshman as they will be as seniors.  I hope this staff can develop Driskell and Parr…the regression of Quez makes a little nervous about capabilities.  I am not sure how much of that was coaching compared to injury.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

walty12 said

On top of that, they are now back at square one.  Lets build the infrastructure and get qualified people in fundraising positions so when we find our Fuente…we can keep him.

Makes me wonder when we'll be in a position to offer somebody $1M to coach here. A decade? More? 

If Partridge knocked it out of the park in years 3 and 4 and left, could we do something like Arkansas State and jump from 500k to 700-800k? They've had good success in the past few years since offering money at that level: Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, Bryan Harsin. They finally stabilized with Blake Anderson by adding a $3M buyout but even he's done well this season as the Red Wolves are 8-3 and perfect in the Sun Belt.

Maybe Pat Chun needs to contact former FAU employee and current ASU AD Terry Mohajir for some coach- hiring tips.

Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 9:31 AM #352625

This is literally the million dollar question.

We have the lowest compensation package in our conference….not good.  This is just the HC salary, I think our package for assistant coaches is at the cellar as well.

NCAAF | Coaches | Salaries | USA TODAY Sports

What angers me is this…we charge our students through the nose in athletics fees.  But IMO, as we do with coaches we hire fundraisers with a low compensation package.  We are in the middle of a tri-county area of 5 million people with an askew number of them being weatlhy.  We need to hire fundraisers that are able to tap into this.

I know, "but the old rich people down here didn't go to FAU"….thats an objection a talented fundraiser could overcome.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Ralph Leonard was supposed to be a recruiting steal for us "SEC WR" as Charile said, yet only one catch this year.

If guys like Monken, Taggert, and Funtes all won 8-9 thier third year with a bowl game still to come why would Charile get away with a mediocre 7-5? 

Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 10:37 AM #352627

I agree with everything you said especially the part about expectations for next year.

However, I do have to point out that Nate Terry stepped up big time. I do beleive he took major strides forward.

As far as Ralph Leonard, I beleive he didn't get much playing time. I'veonly seen him in the depth chart just lately.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

owlcountry40 said

Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 10:37 AM #352627

I agree with everything you said especially the part about expectations for next year.

However, I do have to point out that Nate Terry stepped up big time. I do beleive he took major strides forward.

As far as Ralph Leonard, I beleive he didn't get much playing time. I'veonly seen him in the depth chart just lately.

Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 11:07 AM #352630

Nate Terry only had 16 grabs for 185 yards and 4 TD's.
All while loosing most of his playing time to a transfer QB…..
Back to the top

This might be one of the most important years ever for the program on player development. With all the freshman we played this year if we don't develop them they will play like freshman once again next year. 

I don't see anyone from the senior class who is irreplaceable except from maybe Coley right away. 

Without seeing Parr there is no way I can judge and say he will be the starting QB come September. Driskell can sling that ball around. He does need to develop some instincts to put some touch on passes, and his accuracy can get wild at times. 

Back to the top

I support Gary Nord as our offensive coordinator because unlike you, OC, I'm familiar with FAU's history. Nord was on our staff when we had our best offenses from 04-08 and most notably, could develop an offense. Player development tanked when he left. Howard did terribly at Oklahoma and was successful here, based on your logic, Howard is a bad coach and Chip Kelly's offense sucks.

I'm not saying we need to hire Nord, but if he's available we should definitely give him a look because as many have said. Who's going to want to come to FAU knowing that they'll only be here for one year if Charlie doesn't succeed. We're not going to get some big name OC so we should explore all possibilities.

I'll care more about this conversation if there's actually a change at OC because right now there's no point in arguing who we should hire when there's not even a position available.
Back to the top
Control functions: