Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Old Dominion Game Thread - November 28th, 2015

Add topic

And Walty, you are right in that all of the schools and Coaches I mentioned REALLY grew in their 3rd year. I guess I see it as our 3rd year after Howard and we are not producing wins any better yet, actually backslid from 6-6 to 3-9 two years running.
Back to the top

UGA and former Boca High School great Mark Richt was fired.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I support Gary Nord as our offensive coordinator because unlike you, OC, I'm familiar with FAU's history. Nord was on our staff when we had our best offenses from 04-08 and most notably, could develop an offense. Player development tanked when he left. Howard did terribly at Oklahoma and was successful here, based on your logic, Howard is a bad coach and Chip Kelly's offense sucks.

I'm not saying we need to hire Nord, but if he's available we should definitely give him a look because as many have said. Who's going to want to come to FAU knowing that they'll only be here for one year if Charlie doesn't succeed. We're not going to get some big name OC so we should explore all possibilities.

I'll care more about this conversation if there's actually a change at OC because right now there's no point in arguing who we should hire when there's not even a position available.
Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 1:42 PM #352633
Dude I know FAU history please stop. Stop trying to dig up some old OC that coached us 7 years ago because he reminds you of the glory days.
My logic can't be that dumb because noy one school has hired him in three years.
So more people seem to agree with me then you.
Before Nick went to Bama they tried to hire everyone that sat next to the Bear on a bus once and it failed.
Find some hungry young coach who wants to take the next step and runs and offensive that reflects football in 2016.
Back to the top

Oh, you mean like Wright? A young coach that wants to take the next steps? Hmm..that sounds familiar. And an offense that reflects football in 2016? You mean like a read-option that utilizes a running QB? Like the one that Wright tried to run? And you want to run that with two Pro-style QBs?

Oh, and you want some hungry young coach (who I'm assuming will already be successful) to be OK with being paid what we're going to pay him?

I want us to succeed just as much as the next guy, but I'm also realistic in who we are and what we can offer coaches.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

1st why, so confident in Parr.?

Also why is 7-5 your expectation?

Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 10:37 AM #352627

1. Largely because I have seen him play numerous times, and he has "it". No, you can't define "it", but you know "it" when you see "it". Additionally, his arm is ridiculous.

2. I never said 7-5 is my expectation, I said it would be a great year record wise in 2016. Not from a desire standpoint, but from what i see on the field and on the schedule - in other words a confidence "expectation".

We start off 2-2 at best, which means there are 8 games left. Does anyone really expect us to go 7-1 or 6-2??? We have more holes to fill on the defensive line and offensive line we are going to probably have to play some RS FR.

Therefore, I expect a 6-6 finish, possibly 7-5 if things go well.

Back to the top

I agree with Rick. #1 I too have seen Parr play. He was head and shoulders above the competition. I think of him as a Doughty type. A record setter down the road. My goal for wins…..Bowl eligible. Not 9-3 or 8-4. Just Bowl eligible. I don't think that is an unreasonable goal.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Oh, you mean like Wright? A young coach that wants to take the next steps? Hmm..that sounds familiar. And an offense that reflects football in 2016? You mean like a read-option that utilizes a running QB? Like the one that Wright tried to run? And you want to run that with two Pro-style QBs?

Oh, and you want some hungry young coach (who I'm assuming will already be successful) to be OK with being paid what we're going to pay him?

I want us to succeed just as much as the next guy, but I'm also realistic in who we are and what we can offer coaches.

Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 2:49 PM #352638

Yea exactly!
Just because wright has failed running a spread doesn't mean others will.
Tannehill is a bust for the Dolphins doesn't mean they shouldn't draft another young QB.
Like I said find some other young hungry coach and all you can do is cross your fingers, but you can't keep what you have.

As for the expectations as it looks now we are returning 8 starters on D and 8 on O (4olinemen)on offense. This number could drop If younger guys beat them out which would be good for the team.
You better win more than 7…..
Good coach takes this team to 8-9 wins.
If Charlie takes this roster to 6-7 wins he underachieved.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Is this Oyster bowl a real thing? If so how did they come up with this as a rival game? 
Posted On: Nov 29th 2015, 1:40 AM #352618

Yeah, it is a real thing.
It is a regular season game between teams chosen and a portion of the proceeds/other activity revenues go to the Shriners charitable causes for children.  Long history.  Warren is in good company..

From Wiki: "Many well known players participated in the Oyster Bowl during the time it featured Division I teams. These include Ernie Davis of Syracuse, Don Meredith of SMU, Bruce Smith of Virginia Tech, Roger Staubach of Navy, Fran Tarkenton of Georgia, and Randy White of Maryland.[5]"

I lived in Norfolk/Va Beach until I was 14 and I remember something about the game that Staubach had. No specifics, and I can't find it, but his performance was notable.
Back to the top

Parr Nation baby!
Back to the top
Control functions: