Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Offensive Coordinator Search to Replace Wright

teambeer said

Out of the regionally desirable , top 10 passing offenses in the FCS we have:

Samford - I've spoken about Trickett (moreso Chris Hatcher who I like as a HC) before, that's my choice if we were to go after a pass heavy FCS leader.
Jacksonville - Is it right that Kerwin Bell is the HC/OC there? Doubt we could afford him to be an OC.

Murray St - Just promoted their OC to HC this month…he's not going anywhere.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 9:37 AM #352913

Bell was let go as the HC due to long term views of the program with the JU administration. Currently jobless, but again I think this is a long shot candidate.

We have to stop living in the past. Nord hasn't had a job for three years, and to me that speaks volumes.

I actually would prefer someone who is currently running a offense at the FCS level over a QB coach at a FBS program, and has little to no experience putting together a gameplan including calling plays.
Back to the top

OwlGrad2012 said

To be fair we've technically only had "two offenses" maybe three if you count BW with Pelini and with Partridge.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 10:09 AM #352915

Might be able to stretch that to four…

We had the "all we can do is run poorly" offense Howard's last year as well.

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top

I like Jeff Durden from UTC.

http://gomocs.com/staff.aspx?staff=207
Back to the top

IMHO, you won't get a "wise enough owl" at the FCS level.

Just look at what we did in NO TIME FLAT when we entered there - shot straight up to almost the top.

A few good players pretty much sets you apart. The FCS leaders don't have to play ultra competitive football, they enjoy a talent parity. We don't have that luxury, so we have to have a guy who can completely understand the intricacies of personnel and strategy to create one.

See the SEC for example.

I am not saying we are SEC, but just presenting the overall consideration that we need someone who has been around, completely understands the game and how to make tweaks (especially given injuries) and can quickly adjust to defensive strategy presented in counterpoint fashion.

C-USA is quickly moving this direction from a needs perspective. Do we want to roll the dice again?

Back to the top

than why dont we just hire mario cristobal while we are at it.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 12:59 PM #352923

Forget the red font?
Back to the top

Rick said

IMHO, you won't get a "wise enough owl" at the FCS level.

Just look at what we did in NO TIME FLAT when we entered there - shot straight up to almost the top.

A few good players pretty much sets you apart. The FCS leaders don't have to play ultra competitive football, they enjoy a talent parity. We don't have that luxury, so we have to have a guy who can completely understand the intricacies of personnel and strategy to create one.

See the SEC for example.

I am not saying we are SEC, but just presenting the overall consideration that we need someone who has been around, completely understands the game and how to make tweaks (especially given injuries) and can quickly adjust to defensive strategy presented in counterpoint fashion.

C-USA is quickly moving this direction from a needs perspective. Do we want to roll the dice again?

Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 12:17 PM #352922

In the end FAU will have choose between a guy who has been around and probably failed somewhere or take your chances on an FCS coach.
Ill take my chances with the young coach 10/10 Especially on offense.
How many young guys have been successful calling plays in football the last 10 years.
This isn't a an FCS coach, but a name to think of is Taylor Mazzone UCLA QB coach.
He is a upcoming young coach who mark my words will be a Head coach of a P5 program in 10 years or sooner.
Back to the top

Rick said

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 12:59 PM #352923

Forget the red font?
Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 1:04 PM #352924

i did thank you.
Back to the top

Rick said

OwlGrad2012 said

To be fair we've technically only had "two offenses" maybe three if you count BW with Pelini and with Partridge.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 10:09 AM #352915

Might be able to stretch that to four…

We had the "all we can do is run poorly" offense Howard's last year as well.

:Big-Grin:

Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 10:35 AM #352919

We should just call that the "Alfred Morris"…although he was the only one that could run. Maybe the "We have no O-line and a bad QB so we'll hand it off to Alfred Morris everytime" offense. Ya, that's got a nice ring to it!
Back to the top

Thought one BIG reason for going more to spread O from pro O ws you need biger lineman to run a pro O and we still don't have BIG lineman for the most (310+ accross the board on the line) part like the BigBoy or quality power5 teams do. Heck, we could'nt block Charlotte!
Back to the top
Control functions: