Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Some interesting data

Add topic

So I have to admit sometimes I like to read the fiu blog in the Miami Herald (I wish we had that coverage from the Sentinel), anyway, David Neal put together an interesting comparison of CUSA programs based on athletic accomplishments. Here is the link to the first part of two that he wrote:

How Does FIU Compare to Its Conference USA Peers? (Part 1) | FIU Panthers Prowl
Back to the top

Raul, I think the Herald is doing better financially than the Sentinal and PBP. Therefore , they can have more writers and cover more subjects. The sports pages at the SS and PBP truly only cover pro sports and the three big colleges. If that doesn't interest you, there is no real reason to go to their sites.
Back to the top

Sun Sentinel (as of 2013)
Daily 163.7k
Sunday 228.9k

Miami Herald (2011)
Daily 147.1k
Sunday 190.7k

Palm Beach Post (2012)
Daily 88.2k
Sunday 142.6k

But I am sure the Miami Herald is doing better financially
Back to the top

So posting ONE story a week on the LOCAL U would hurt them and cost them too much?  Hard to build readership (and thus REVENUES) when you limit yourself!
Back to the top

oc irritant said

Daily 163.7k
Sunday 228.9k

Miami Herald (2011)
Daily 147.1k
Sunday 190.7k

Palm Beach Post (2012)
Daily 88.2k
Sunday 142.6k

Posted On: Jan 8th 2016, 10:58 PM #353596

Print media makes their money off advertising dollars not subscriptions. Subscriptions are used to sell advertising. Obviously, website "hits" pay a few bills as well. Kinda like our very own owls nest.

Back to the top

cbboarder said

oc irritant said

Daily 163.7k
Sunday 228.9k

Miami Herald (2011)
Daily 147.1k
Sunday 190.7k

Palm Beach Post (2012)
Daily 88.2k
Sunday 142.6k

Posted On: Jan 8th 2016, 10:58 PM #353596
Print media makes their money off advertising dollars not subscriptions. Subscriptions are used to sell advertising. Obviously, website "hits" pay a few bills as well. Kinda like our very own owls nest.

Posted On: Jan 9th 2016, 9:58 AM #353599

True.  Higher circulation; higher views; higher advertising rates.  on the surface Sun Sentinel is healthier.  Although Miami Herald sold their building a few years ago for a boat load and built in Doral.  So they may have a huge treasure chest, but cash flows from operations would be more important.
Back to the top

I know I used to (as did many other owl fans) go to the Sentinel everyday for Ted's blog/reporting on FAU.

Miss it A LOT! What is up with Ted now anyhow, he was VERY GOOD!

On another note regarding FAU football and public news/acceptance of the program, they need to DROP the secrative attitude and open practices to all and go back to having Owl fans being a part of the team more than JUST on game day or for the select few. We ARE NOT THAT GOOD to have to hide our secrets from the opposition, I know we don't scare them in the least to be so afraid of them stealing our teams secrets. We are a combined 15-33 (31%) since Howard retired for God's sake!!!

Let the community BE A PART OF THE TEAM if they wish to be.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I know I used to (as did many other owl fans) go to the Sentinel everyday for Ted's blog/reporting on FAU.

Miss it A LOT!

Same. His blog is irreplaceable.

He tried to continue it a bit here on TON and some a-hole poster told him he was doing a bad job so he threw his hands up and walked away from it.

One of the Top 5 worst things to ever happen on this site, IMO. Wish he'd come back. I doubt you can follow that closely and then just give up the team. I'm sure he still keeps an eye on things.

GeorgiaOwl said

What is up with Ted now anyhow, he was VERY GOOD!
Posted On: Jan 9th 2016, 3:30 PM #353605

He should be a nurse now, if he's doing the same thing he was when he left the paper.
Back to the top

I wish he would too, and would tell him so myself if I ever saw him. Hope he is doing well (Ted, if you are reading this - good - get back involved with the owl nation, PLEASE!). Don't even know where he is living. But who cares, the net is worldwide, right!
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

He should be a nurse now, if he's doing the same thing he was when he left the paper.
Posted On: Jan 9th 2016, 3:43 PM #353606

He's been a nurse now for a while.

The blog was a conflict of interest to his studies, so it had to go…

Riding into the sunset.... - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top
Control functions: