Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If I won the 1.4 billion powerball

1. Add a Dome to FAU stadium and get the stadium named Voss Stadium with a statue of my dad standing right next to Schnelly.
  2. Rename the College of Education Dean Ballard Simmons College of Education (first dean was actually named Dean I kid you not)
  3. Light Rail loop around campus, stopping at the stadium, the breezeway, the dorms and the library and the major parking lots and the trirail drop off point.
  4. Fund a Doctoral programs in Poli Sci and Economics.
  5. Create a fund where enrolled students would have Free parking stickers in perpetuity.
  6. Buy a plot of land near the school and get ALDI to build a grocery store on it.
  7. Baseball stadium
  8. New Basketball arena
  9. Peoplemover in the breezeway
Back to the top

voss749 said

1. Add a Dome to FAU stadium and get the stadium named Voss Stadium with a statue of my dad standing right next to Schnelly.
  2. Rename the College of Education Dean Ballard Simmons College of Education (first dean was actually named Dean I kid you not)
  3. Light Rail loop around campus, stopping at the stadium, the breezeway, the dorms and the library and the major parking lots and the trirail drop off point.
  4. Fund a Doctoral programs in Poli Sci and Economics.
  5. Create a fund where enrolled students would have Free parking stickers in perpetuity.
  6. Buy a plot of land near the school and get ALDI to build a grocery store on it.
  7. Baseball stadium
  8. New Basketball arena
  9. Peoplemover in the breezeway

Posted On: Jan 11th 2016, 9:35 AM #353644

Claim the ticket on a Friday, go back to your job on Monday!  But nice dreams!!
Back to the top

Nice topic Voss  :cool:

To add:

Fix ALL roof leaks in the breezway, both floors.

Hire a full time staff to wash the duck poop off the sidewalks.
Back to the top

Yes! Agreed. Nice topic.

FWIW the $1.4 billion as a lump sum is (according to lotterycalculator.com) a lump sum of $868 million or $46million once + $28 million for payments, so that's what you have to work with  :cool:

As a proponent of public transportation I like the (albeit very expensive, at $15+ million per MILE) idea of light rail, particularly for picking students up at the Administration Building and taking them down to the 5th Avenue Shoppes, stopping along the way on 20th Street especially as that picks up and becomes Owl Avenue (or whatever they end up calling it). Granted, the shuttle can do this instead without laying down money for infrastructure and whatnot, but light rail is definitely cooler.

At some point if Boca keeps expanding we might see light rail along Glades and that would be great to see light rail going all the way from Federal Highway to 441 - which would be especially useful if residential students were told they couldn't have cars on campus.

one thing to consider would be building airport-style mega-garages peripherally around campus (north of the stadium, in the southeast corner near Glades, etc) and then the current on-campus shuttles could pick them up and deliver people around campus. Right now the shuttles are most useful for this purpose - getting people to their cars in distant parking lots - because campus is so centrally-consolidated you don't really need to take a shuttle from, say, the Spaceship to the Business building.

Anyway…

My list includes:

1) $50M to finish funding to the new Athletic Center and ensure it's an NFL level facility, including the nation's largest college weight room (50k square feet). Outside, "O W L S" letter sculptures and a new fountain.

2) $10M naming rights for football: Paradise Stadium.

3) Miscellaneous stadium renovations.

4) $20M for baseball stadium modeled after University of Virginia's setup, to be named Mac-Cooney Stadium.

5) $20M seed money for new basketball arena to be attached to the current Burrow (which will become the practice/volleyball facility) plus fauowl's recommended upgrades for the program. The new basketball arena would have a large ribbon screen outside (like Hard Rock in Davie). Inside will be saltwater fish tanks.

6) $60M for 4 new parking garages, one west of the Student Union, one west of Parking Garage 3, one north of the new Engineering Building and one south of Lot 23.

7) $10M for various campus improvements like re-done Glades entrance with pavers and fountains.

8) $30M for 6 Greek houses. Since Kelly doesn't seem to want any more houses on campuses, thinking it would have to be off-campus, and that would take a bit of advising to get that to work. Wonder if the Greeks would want to be in houses above retail/bars/restaurants in mixed use housing on 20th Street? That would be an interesting twist on an old concept.

9) $100M for a new "Googleplex" Student Union.

10) $100M+ for 20th Street renovations. First domino would have to be buying Smith & DeShields, then Boca Bargoons, and work on offering Awakenings/the other halfway houses a spot somewhere else so I can redevelop that plot. The east end of the street by Sunbelt Rentals/train tracks I'd like to buy those warehouse buildings and try to redevelop it as a craft brewery street, bring in some of the local craft brewery winner contests and find out who is serious to open a brewery. Would also work with the passenger line to get a station built on 20th so students can get on and off to go to Atlantic Avenue and Mizner (hopefully)

11) $10-20M to develop the area east of University Commons as University Crossing with Tijuana Flats, Mellow Mushroom, Buffalo Wild Wings. I wonder if I could get a Margaritaville with enough money  :Big-Grin:

12) As part of the renovation, give It's Owl Time a new, bigger store, hopefully with an FAU museum in it too. Maybe on the southeast corner of 20th and NW 2nd so as students walking down there see that upfront and center at the front edge.

So that's like, what, half of the winnings right there. I would need to form a pretty big development company to manage this empire. Maybe it's better if I don't win.
Back to the top

Regarding the Aldi, that could come true if they win the bid for the grocery store at the entrance plaza to University Village but methinks Publix will probably fight for and ultimately win that spot.

Publix is pretty territorial; I used to work for one and they built a new store on each of two vacant parcels one mile in each direction just so Winn-Dixie or someone else wouldn't open one there.
Back to the top

Please remember its comes to somewhere near 800 million after taxes are taken out.

1.) 35 million for new athletic complex.
2.) 30 million for new basketball arena
3.) 75 million for new indoor swimming and diving center built on old burrow site.
4.) 40 million for new baseball stadium and softball stadium upgrades.
5.) 150 million for hotel and convention center on campus.
6.) 45 million general donation to the university for greatest needs.
Back to the top

Wow, no coin for TON from anyone…

:Rainning:
Back to the top

Oops. I knew I forgot something. Lol.
Back to the top

TON would be fine… Everybody would be rushing to the site once all these upgrades are implemented  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Please remember its comes to somewhere near 800 million after taxes are taken out.

1.) 35 million for new athletic complex.
2.) 30 million for new basketball arena
3.) 75 million for new indoor swimming and diving center built on old burrow site.
4.) 40 million for new baseball stadium and softball stadium upgrades.
5.) 150 million for hotel and convention center on campus.
6.) 45 million general donation to the university for greatest needs.
Posted On: Jan 12th 2016, 11:36 PM #353699

It will be way less than 800 million remember they take 40 percent of the top and what's left of that will be taxed as income the following year.
Also 40 million for a new baseball stadium FAU could put something together that would perfect for us  15 million and that would include redoing the baseball offices.
Back to the top
Control functions: