Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

USF campus to get a Publix as part of new Student Village

Add topic

Story here

Thought it was only a matter of time before Publix did this. Kinda disappointed we didn't do it first but when has FAU ever done something first?

Oh well. Maybe we can do it after everybody else does it.

Unless they open in the new University Village, which is probably what'll happen. And that's close enough.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Thought it was only a matter of time before Publix did this. Kinda disappointed we didn't do it first but when has FAU ever done something first?
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2016, 5:46 PM #353929

It may not always be FAU not acting on being first for something. I honestly can't imagine corporate Publix thinking it is a huge opportunity at FAU…yet.  Not enough on campus activity. No matter how cool we think something would be, the reality is Publix needs to think they are going to get a return on an investment. I don't think we are there yet. One day. Not bad to dream tho!
Back to the top

I was going to respond here but then realized I had enough to say and it was relevant enough to just go ahead and blog about it.

With regard to FAU not being first, I meant that we are almost never the First College Campus to Have A ________________, whether it's an Athletic Village, hotel, mall-style food court (I don't consider the old Breezeway Cafe to be mall-style as much as it was cafeteria-style), big on-campus pool, etc.

The first time we had really done something innovative was the beach-themed stadium that can see the ocean, but I have to wonder if FAU requested that or that the architects came up with it. Either way, that's a first, and personally I'd like to see FAU continue to build on those kinds of ideas and build a reputation for innovation, even if that means failing every once in awhile.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I was going to respond here but then realized I had enough to say and it was relevant enough to just go ahead and blog about it.

With regard to FAU not being first, I meant that we are almost never the First College Campus to Have A ________________, whether it's an Athletic Village, hotel, mall-style food court (I don't consider the old Breezeway Cafe to be mall-style as much as it was cafeteria-style), big on-campus pool, etc.

The first time we had really done something innovative was the beach-themed stadium that can see the ocean, but I have to wonder if FAU requested that or that the architects came up with it. Either way, that's a first, and personally I'd like to see FAU continue to build on those kinds of ideas and build a reputation for innovation, even if that means failing every once in awhile.

Posted On: Jan 23rd 2016, 9:15 AM #353941

I can't imagine the city wanting to add congestion to Glades Rd.  Also how many students live on campus at USF v. FAU.  Removing a grocery cart from the stores property is a misdemeanor tell the police to write citations when observed.  I don't think it's necessary or fits for FAU.

Back to the top

Couple things.

Owl2Doc… Appreciate you getting the ball rolling on a conversation that needs to be had.  We may not have been the first but I can't think of any campus with a legit movie theatre (I dont mean an auditorium with a screen).  Also Tampa is what 30 minutes from Lakeland, there's probably a ton of USF grads that work there and had a hand in making this happen.  Next, honestly it would be more hassle than convenience to go there if you lived off campus, you have to fight the traffic which can be a real pain at certain times of the day plus you have 5 or 6 home football games (not to mention we want more events in the stadium).  I think there are solutions that would fit our needs better.  
Back to the top

owlmart said

Couple things.

Owl2Doc… Appreciate you getting the ball rolling on a conversation that needs to be had.  

No problem. The university has briefly mentioned the idea of something like this bask when they were talking about the retail portion of Innovation Village, when ideas were tossed out for food/pharmacy options, although they probably stopped just short of saying a grocery store.

I don't think Outtakes is a suitable alternative. They have a broad but limited selection and the prices can be pretty steep. One of the advantages of having a national brand like Publix is they have their own line of products which brings down costs relative to the name brands.

Furthermore, the fact that Outtakes failed in GPT makes me think students weren't really happy with the selection there. I know I wasn't, the same way you wouldn't go hunting for dinner on a Thursday night at a gas station or a CVS.

Now, I've been to several large cities - Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago - and experienced these small grocery store/convenience store/bodegas, whatever you want to call them. And I wondered if something like that could work for us, but at what minimum level?

Just saying… if Publix is willing to open on campus, and we're willing to let them open on campus, why settle for a bodega?

owlmart said

We may not have been the first but I can't think of any campus with a legit movie theatre (I don't mean an auditorium with a screen).

You're absolutely right! I had forgotten about that. At the time I believed it was billed as the nation's only digital movie theater on a college campus.

So that's two.

owlmart said

Also Tampa is what 30 minutes from Lakeland, there's probably a ton of USF grads that work there and had a hand in making this happen.

Makes sense. And hey, they paved the way. Now this is a more realistic possibility but I think FAU would need to initiate the conversation.

owlmart said

Next, honestly it would be more hassle than convenience to go there if you lived off campus, you have to fight the traffic which can be a real pain at certain times of the day plus you have 5 or 6 home football games (not to mention we want more events in the stadium).  I think there are solutions that would fit our needs better.  
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2016, 3:44 PM #353949

True. The traffic on Glades is always an issue but hasn't stopped people from going to Whole Foods. Granted, they have a larger parking lot than Publix would have to work with here, but I've seen a lot of small Publixes too - they're not all the same size, so I think we could scale it.

My thinking is that there are three entrances to FAU along Glades, including one right near that entrance. In theory people could zip in and out. There isn't a terrible amount of traffic along Indian River as it is but it would be increased with a Publix there, yes.

For the general public, I think it's a matter of where is there a Publix on my way home. If you're driving on Glades to/from 95, for instance, you could stop there.

A new 95 exit will obviously help too.

And I don't think 6 home games a year on the other side of campus, even in a sellout situation, would impact a Publix in that spot. You've been to home games. Getting in and out isn't bad. And I haven't seen anybody tailgate on that side of campus on gamedays.

Like you said, the post is about beginning the conversation and seeing where it takes us. I obviously have my opinions on it, as do other people, but if USF can make it work, I think we can make it work here.
Back to the top
Control functions: