Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: Georgetown vs #15 FAU - Mar 4th - 6th, 2016

Add topic

Who: No. 15 Florida Atlantic (7-0) vs. Georgetown (3-4)

Friday 3/4 @ 6:30 PM

FAU: RHP David McKay (2-0, 1.50 ERA, 12 IP, 20 K, 2 BB, 2 ER)
GU: RHP Matt Smith (0-2, 7.56 ERA, 8.1 IP, 8 K, 5 BB, 7 ER)

Saturday 3/5 @ 4:00 PM

FAU: LHP Brandon Rhodes (2-0, 1.64 ERA, 11 IP, 6 K, 1 BB, 2 ER)
GU: RHP Simon Mathews (1-1, 1.54 ERA. 11.2 IP, 8 K, 5 BB, 2 ER)

Sunday 3/6 @ 12:00 PM

FAU: RHP Marc Stewart (1-0, 0 ERA, 12 IP, 3 K, 5 BB, 0 ER)
GU: RHP Kevin Superko (0-1, 6.30 ERA, 10 IP, 6 K, 1 BB, 7 ER)

Notes

The Owls are coming off a 13-6 exhibition outing against the St. Louis Cardinals. FAU actually led 6-1 in the bottom of the 8th inning when the Cards exploded for 12 runs to pull away.

On an official note, Florida Atlantic remained undefeated at 7-0 following a weekend sweep of LIU Brooklyn. Head Coach John McCormack earned his 250th win on Sunday. Heading into this weekend's action against the Hoyas, Florida Atlantic will look to move to 8-0 for the first time since the 2006 season.

Junior 1B Esteban Puerta (photo below) continued the incredible start to his season last week with 7 RBI on two home runs and a double. On the year, Puerta is hitting .593 with 15 RBI, three home runs and three doubles in just seven games, with an on-base percentage of .625.

The Owls are hitting .322 as a team with an on-base percentage of .433 and have posted 21 extra-base hits. FAU has out-scored opponents 55-19 and drawn 40 walks to just 19 allowed. The Owls are currently tied for the nation’s lead in win percentage and is 7th in fielding percentage. FAU also rank 29th in shutouts and 31st in walks.

On the hill the Owls are sporting a 2.14 team ERA which is 1st in C-USA  and 18th nationally. RHP David McKay struck out a career-high 14 batters Friday night against LIU, including fanning the side in each of the first two innings, to lead FAU to its second-best strikeout performance in program history (17 total).

Georgetown is coming of a 1-2 weekend at Davidson. After falling, 9-3, on Friday night, the Hoyas bounced back for a 5-3 win on Saturday before dropping the series finale, 12-8 on Sunday.

GU's Saturday starter was named the Big East Pitcher of the Week after 6.0 innings pitched with a 0.00 ERA against Davidson in the Hoyas' lone weekend win. He allowed just five hits and three walks and struck out five batters.

Outfielder Michael DeRenzi was solid at the plate while posting a .533 (8-for-15) for the week with four runs scored and a stolen base. He went 6-for-6, with three runs scored and a stolen base, on Sunday.

The visiting Hoyas' strength this season will lie in its pitching staff. They return two of three starting pitchers from last season, and all but one member of the bullpen. As a staff last year, GU's pitchers set a program record with a 3.95 team ERA, lowering the mark by more than a point from the 2014 season.

Georgetown will play eight games in 10 days in the Sunshine State before returning home.
Back to the top

The Owls fell behind early and had a rough time in the 5th, but almost made the late comeback:

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2016 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

Offensive Notables:

Back to the top

Our pitching looked off from the first pitch. Very little command last night. The Hoya pitchers are all hittable. All we need to do is get decent pitching. We can score a lot of runs on them. And we will Saturday and Sunday. Lets just take the next two.
Back to the top

Owls will be on the hunt for the series tomorrow afternoon, make a trip to shutout city today:

Back to the top

This was a well played game . All aspects were almost perfection.Baseball is crazy. Dicks has found his groove and is hitting the ball hard. Too many defensive plays to mention . Great pitching by Rhodes. It will be tough not to move Brandon to Friday nights. But that isn't my decision. This is one of the best hitting FAU team I've seen. From top to bottom. I tip my hat to the Freshman catcher. He is doing a great job. Not only behind the plate, but at the plate. Talented player. PS .. even the umps were on their game . Line drive to right field, first base ump went out to make the call and the third base ump was in position to make a call at first. Impressive for C-USA guys.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

This was a well played game . All aspects were almost perfection.Baseball is crazy. Dicks has found his groove and is hitting the ball hard. Too many defensive plays to mention . Great pitching by Rhodes. It will be tough not to move Brandon to Friday nights. But that isn't my decision. This is one of the best hitting FAU team I've seen. From top to bottom. I tip my hat to the Freshman catcher. He is doing a great job. Not only behind the plate, but at the plate. Talented player.
Posted On: Mar 5th 2016, 8:04 PM #355017

+1 - on everything!
Back to the top

Local Owl said

This was a well played game . All aspects were almost perfection.Baseball is crazy. Dicks has found his groove and is hitting the ball hard. Too many defensive plays to mention . Great pitching by Rhodes. It will be tough not to move Brandon to Friday nights. But that isn't my decision. This is one of the best hitting FAU team I've seen. From top to bottom. I tip my hat to the Freshman catcher. He is doing a great job. Not only behind the plate, but at the plate. Talented player. PS .. even the umps were on their game . Line drive to right field, first base ump went out to make the call and the third base ump was in position to make a call at first. Impressive for C-USA guys.
Posted On: Mar 5th 2016, 8:04 PM #355017

Not to take anything away from C-USA, but rather to give credit where credit is due, non-conference game umpires are generally from Florida Collegiate Umpires (FCU, floridaumpires.com). The list of C-USA umpires is in the C-USA media guide, page 9. Everyone here would probably want to download the PDF of the C-USA media guide (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/2016-media-guide.pdf) or go to conferenceuusa.com, select baseball, and in the upper right click on the link for the media guide.
Back to the top

Thanks MLBBOCA. They deserve the credit. That third base ump was on the ball. I've seen so many games where the unps are just lazy. Sometimes, frustratingly lazy. Great to see guys that go out thinking  that if they are getting a paycheck, then they should earn it. Again, thanks for your knowledge on such matters.
Back to the top

The Owls bounce back after Friday's 13-11 loss by pounding the Hoyas 20-2 over the final two contests, and take the series:

Team will next face St. Josephs for a two game midweek series at FAU baseball Stadium.

Back to the top
Control functions: