Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Baseball Stadium

Add topic

I just had a thought and I am not sure I even like the idea but thought it could generate some discussion.

What if they played baseball in the football stadium?

My random thoughts (in no particular order):

I think the die hard baseball fans would not like it.

We have a $70M stadium that sits empty for about 350 days a year.

Would it have to be reconfigured and thus cost as much as a new stadium and then not worth it.

I hated when the Marlins & Dolphins shared a stadium because the Dolphins would have to play on the infield for a few games but the college game does not overlap, giving 3 months to get the football field in shape.

Which is better (or worse), a small stadium with no restrooms & no chance to host a regional, or a really nice stadium with the amenities but way too large for the function?

Is it viable as a solution until the program can pay for a new baseball stadium which could be many years from now?

My guess is it would be too much money to make it worth it. Depends on how much reconfig needs to be done.
Back to the top

well the foul lines would be really short or long and you would have to install temporary fencing probably.
Back to the top

I would rather put up with the dump we have. I hated Joe Robbie/Sun Life/Pro Player/LandShark etc  when baseball was there.
Back to the top

Just saw a tweet from a D1 baseball writer claiming that Rice will be spending 9-10 million dollars in upgrades of the baseball facilities. Rice understands what they are good at. 
Back to the top

What does $10 million get you in a baseball field? Just curious
Back to the top

voss749 said

What does $10 million get you in a baseball field? Just curious
Posted On: Mar 13th 2016, 10:31 PM #355222

Probably new seating, new concessions, and a brand new scoreboard with video capablilty.   
Back to the top

Looking at the Athletics Business showcase, university stadiums can range from $12M (IU) to $38M (LSU's Alex Box). Professional stadiums are obviously quite a bit more.

Indiana University spent $12M in 2014 for this new stadium.

UF spent $11M for renovations in 2006 for this.

Point being, if we can get another $12M seed money deal, we can have a new impressive baseball stadium finally befitting of the winning team on the field. We could also renovate for less $3M-5M, but it doesn't look like it would be that impressive. Better than what we have, for sure, but I think a little piece of your heart would always feel like we should have just built a new stadium instead of tacking on to the old one.
Back to the top

Do those schools have toilets ?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Looking at the Athletics Business showcase, university stadiums can range from $12M (IU) to $38M (LSU's Alex Box). Professional stadiums are obviously quite a bit more.

Point being, if we can get another $12M seed money deal, we can have a new impressive baseball stadium finally befitting of the winning team on the field. We could also renovate for less $3M-5M, but it doesn't look like it would be that impressive. Better than what we have, for sure, but I think a little piece of your heart would always feel like we should have just built a new stadium instead of tacking on to the old one.

Posted On: Mar 14th 2016, 12:22 AM #355224

One thing we could do is get a co-sponsor such as a minor league ball team, then you could tap into convention money. Can you say Spring Training???
Back to the top

voss749 said

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Mar 14th 2016, 12:22 AM #355224

One thing we could do is get a co-sponsor such as a minor league ball team, then you could tap into convention money. Can you say Spring Training???
Posted On: Mar 14th 2016, 8:15 AM #355227

No, this would cost a lot more and cause a ton of logistical problems if you want spring tanning and MLB would have to build an MLB training  facility as well.
This will also cause scheduling issues through out the year especially this month when FAU usually play 15 homes games.
Back to the top
Control functions: