Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Matt McCall Paul Harvey Style: And now you know the rest of the story

Add topic

Been some chatter over the last few months about what really went down with regards to Matt McCall the coaching vacancy left with the departure of Mike Jarvis, so thought I would put color around it. Below is the rough timeline of significant events.

• McCall gets a call while at the Final Four from then new FAU President Kelly.

• This is not a normal practice and should be considered above and beyond.

• They have a great conversation and Kelly verbally communicates FAU's interest in McCall, and desire to fill the opening with him.

• Unbeknownst to McCall, former short timer Reggie Garrett, who was originally hired as a Sr. Assoc. AD for External Relations has had a conversation with Al Skinner at The Dance as well.

• Skinner proclaims the availability of Michael Curry for the job. "An NBA guy".

• Garrett makes the notion known to the powers that be, and recommends the hire, to the steering committee.

• The waters shift, and McCall is quickly out of the running, but not aware yet.

• Melissa Dawson calls McCall and says that FAU is going in a a different direction.

• McCall never officially accepted the job, but was going to accept it.

…And now you know the rest of the story.

Back to the top

Rick said

Been some chatter over the last few months about what really went down with regards to Matt McCall the coaching vacancy left with the departure of Mike Jarvis, so thought I would put color around it. Below is the rough timeline of significant events.

• They have a great conversation and Kelly verbally communicates FAU's interest in McCall, and desire to fill the opening with him.

• Unbeknownst to McCall, former short timer Reggie Garrett, who was originally hired as a Sr. Assoc. AD for External Relations has had a conversation with Al Skinner at The Dance as well.

• Skinner proclaims the availability of Michael Curry for the job. "An NBA guy".

• Garrett makes the notion known to the powers that be, and recommends the hire, to the steering committee.

• The waters shift, and McCall is quickly out of the running, but not aware yet.

• Melissa Dawson calls McCall and says that FAU is going in a a different direction.

Sounds like Matt dodged a bullet.
Back to the top

Rick said

Posted On: Mar 16th 2016, 2:01 PM #355248

This story is enough to fire Chun itself.
Absolutely jaw dropping.
Back to the top

That ticks me off but the one thing I don't get is… if Kelly wanted McCall so bad why didn't he veto Curry?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

That ticks me off but the one thing I don't get is… if Kelly wanted McCall so bad why didn't he veto Curry?
Posted On: Mar 16th 2016, 5:38 PM #355251

To come in brand new as President and take the responsibility of hiring a Men's head basketball coach away from your Athletic Director is a heck of a move to make.  If it didn't work out…there is a HUGE negative downside.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

No.

No.

Why us.

Why.

I don't get it.
Back to the top
Control functions: