Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New C-USA TV deal

I don't know how many of you have been following, but C-USA has been in TV negations for the last year or so.

C-USA is the 1st of the G-5 conferences to be have a deal in this new shrinking TV market as many younger people are opting out of capable and just using streaming App like Hulu, Netflix, and Sling Box devices.

C-USA is expected to get a lot less income (some say up 700,00k less )on this TV deal because the TV bubble has mostly popped.
It has sprung much debate that is being at the mercy of TV times worth many weeknight games (like the Tuesday games the Mac plays) and more noon start times.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/05/02/In-Depth/Media-rights.aspx
Here is a link to a good article that talks about C-USA
My opinion is that TV isn't worth the start times.
If C-USA has a deal with ESPN and all ESPN three games can be streamed and we can control more of our start times it will add the revenue back with ticket sales and concession's at the game.
A noon start time isn't worth playing on FS700 where only fans watching on TV is the few fans that actually root for either team.  
Back to the top

Good conversation guys.........
Back to the top

It sucks.
Back to the top

CUSA needs to add Ga. St. and UMass to add the metro Atlanta and Boston media markets to help in these media contracts, biggest media markets out ther available to the conference.
Back to the top

No Beuno said

It sucks.
Posted On: May 6th 2016, 1:46 PM #356020

+1

On a side note, getting five ESPN games is a move in the right direction, but still not enough. At least they are Thursday and Friday games and not Tuesday's as well…

Hope that doesn't change!

(at least for us)
Back to the top

Here is a counter view though
1st ESPN three is nice to have with so many people having smart TV's its becomes very easy to watch games and know that no matter what we can watch our OWLS.
Also like ESPN or not they get more viewers when you Joe Blow sports fan is coming home and sitting on the coach on a Thursday he will flip on ESPN.

Also what if this results in us having better start times which results in higher attendance.

If having 3 less noon times a year results in a total of maybe 3-4k showing up to those games and those people obviously buy tickets, concessions and parking it could recoup much of the TV loss.
If having 12k total more fans over 6 games is an AVG of 50 bucks a head in revenue that's 600,00k right there.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

If having 3 less noon times a year results in a total of maybe 3-4k showing up to those games and those people obviously buy tickets, concessions and parking it could recoup much of the TV loss.
If having 12k total more fans over 6 games is an AVG of 50 bucks a head in revenue that's 600,00k right there.
Posted On: May 6th 2016, 4:27 PM #356024

I am with you!  There is absolutely no way we are growing the fan base with all of these noon games…unless we are winning conference championships and going to bowl games for about 10 years in a row. If these changes give us better control over our own destiny, then I am all for it.  If it doesn't change anything except we just get less money then it sucks.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

I don&#39;t know how many of you have been following, but C-USA has been in TV negations for the last year or so.<br />
<br />
C-USA is the&nbsp;1st of the G-5&nbsp;conferences to be have a deal in this new&nbsp;shrinking TV market&nbsp;as many younger people are opting out of capable and just using streaming&nbsp;App like Hulu, Netflix, and Sling Box devices.<br />
<br />
C-USA is expected to get a lot less income (some say up 700,00k less )on this TV deal because the TV bubble has mostly popped.<br />
Posted On: May 4th 2016, 12:06 PM #356003

Based on the discussions I have seen on Bloomberg and CNBC this is occurring but much slower than what people believe especially when you add sports into the mix.

Where did you hear the 700k number?  That seems rather large. Are we getting the increases we were getting, no but I find that number hard to believe.

Very few people watch entire live games on espn3 imo.  I use it to watch in addition to what's on tv, not instead of.

I can't stand the noon starts either but in order for the game to be broadcast on espn3 doesn't it have to be shown in the local area?  Someone has to be producing the broadcast and ESPN picks it up.

It seems to me a compromise would be best here, 1 or 2 games during the week and 1 or 2 games at noon, max 3 total but preferably 2.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

This is the way tv service is going now. Especially with computers and smart TV's. You dont even need cable or UVerse anymore. Maybe CUSA and ESPN and other sport networks should jump aboard and join that market a little bit. Like the creation of apps where for a cost you can select what games you want to watch. but that is my opinon.
Back to the top

I think everything is driven by demand. Unfortunately, there is not much of one for our product right now as we see nearly empty stadiums at FAU and probably many CUSA stadiums.

Whether technology moves us to smart phones and smart TVs or apps to watch isn't the issue.

There are costs associated with a company to deploy crews and cameras, etc., whether it is a TV network or some content provider. If you are one of those companies and you have to make those types of investments, are you spending it to deliver FAU games to 1000s of people or on Big 5 games to millions of people?
Back to the top
Control functions: