Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 Conference USA Baseball Tournament Thread

Add topic

Florida Atlantic has won its first regular season Conference USA title and the Owls will be the No. 1 seed at the 2016 C-USA Championship at Pete Taylor Park in Hattiesburg, MS, May 25-29.

Florida Atlantic (37-15 overall) won its final four conference games to finish with a 21-8 record in league play.

The Championship will feature the top eight teams in regular-season league play. The format is two double-elimination brackets with four teams each, with the winners of each bracket meeting in a single-elimination championship game.

Wednesday, May 25
Game 1 (5) Louisiana Tech 12 vs. (4) Rice 13
Game 2 (8) Charlotte 5 vs. (1) Florida Atlantic 7
Game 3 (6) Old Dominion 5 vs. (3) Southern Miss 17
Game 4 (7) FIU 3 vs. (2) Marshall 5

Thursday, May 26
Game 5 Louisiana Tech 13 vs. Charlotte 3
Game 6 Old Dominion 1 vs. FIU 3
Game 7 Rice 6 vs. Florida Atlantic 4 (10)
Game 8 Southern Miss 9 vs. Marshall 3

Friday, May 27
Game 9 Louisiana Tech 5 vs. Florida Atlantic 4 (10)
Game 10 FIU vs. Masrhall @ 7:30p

Saturday, May 28
Game 11 Rice vs. Winner game 9 @ 10:00a
Game 12 Southern Miss vs. Winner game 10 @ 1:30p
Game 13 Same teams as Game 11 @ 5:00p (if necessary)
Game 14 Same teams as Game 12 @ 8:30p (if necessary)

Sunday May 29
Championship Game TBD vs. TBD 2:00p (CBS Sports Network)

Back to the top

The tourney bracket shown is odd, UAB a bye into next round AND in a bracket spot where a round one winner has to go? That can't be.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

The tourney bracket shown is odd, UAB a bye into next round AND in a bracket spot where a round one winner has to go? That can't be.
Posted On: May 21st 2016, 6:40 PM #356276

It has to be a misprint. I don't believe UAB qualified for the tournament. 

It's unfortunate that rice ended up as the 4 seed would have preferred southern miss on our side of the bracket. 
Back to the top

Why does FIU scare me so much. They have a way of sneaking up on you when it's tourney time.
Back to the top

Maybe catching Rice at the right time though, not so hot right now! Any way you look at it, gotta keep winning to win the tourney.
Back to the top

Also, Rice will probably use their stud left hander before we face them. The rest of the staff looks very hitable.
Back to the top

that kid from rice could be a second or third round pick. it will be a very interesting series. I say take tomorrow off, then hit the field monday for practice. What is the word on Labsan?
Back to the top

Just another note it is a extremely disappointing that we do not have a facility that is up to par to host a regional. Because it is pretty clear cut we would be hosting this year. 

Now we could be a one seed at a regional on the west coast, or losing a regional to UF because we don't have the facility this program deserves. 

I know it's like beating a dead horse here, but it's never been more apparent than at this time to me. 
Back to the top

Man, don't get me started. I laugh to myself at the beginning of every home game when the announcer says"for your convenience, restrooms are located behind the stadium ,at the swimming complex". Even that is false as we now have jiffy johns due to construction at the complex. This is what it is and will not change any time soon. We do not have the money to do anything about it. But yes, we would be a host this year. Our baseball stadium ranks right at the bottom of CUSA schools. Good thing the team is good. The field is first class and the stadium is second rate.
Back to the top

The baseball stadium issues are not new. We have had the same issues for 20 years.

I went to the game Thursday to see our Top 20 team play and there were about 100 people there and half of those were WKU fans.

Sometimes there are more issues than "just build it and they will come" or "just win and they will come." Neither concept has proven to build our fan base that I have seen. Unfortunately, the only concept that may work is time.
Back to the top
Control functions: