Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

Add topic

The Sun Sentinel recently put out an article talking about the City's goals from their recent goal-setting session where they discussed still wanting to move forward with 20th Street as a college district. Excerpt:

Anchored on a proposed Tri-Rail Coastal Link station, a college-centric community envisioned by the Boca Raton City Council would be along the 20th Street Corridor, an area generally located east of Florida Atlantic University.

Council members say they want a very walkable, high-end district with cobblestone roads.

The first step will be completing a study of the area, which is currently being conducted by Treasure Coast Regional Planning. The study is designed to assess the impact development would have on the area through interviews, analysis and a public summit.

As imagined by the council, students would have a hub for developing startups and finding places to work. It would be void of dorms and filled with venues for both nightlife and family outings.

"It increases the university's appeal," Councilman Jeremy Rodgers said. "It takes more trips off the road because students are captured in there."

It's good to know they're still adamant about making it happen, and I'm hoping Treasure Coast Planning Council gives us some idea of the direction they think it will go. For instance, do they picture the same things that the students did in their Visioning displays at the Ritter Art Gallery?

How much will this street will be "Boca" and how much of it will be "FAU"? "High-end", "void of dorms", "family outings" sounds Boca. Walkable, cobblestone roads, nightlife is more for us.

It's strange to think of this as a "hub for developing startups" - isn't that what the Research Park is for? Don't we need more student housing here than office space?

Boca and FAU can submit requests but ultimately developer interest will drive what fills the space. Boca can want office space for startups, but seeing as how student housing is in demand and office space in the area isn't in demand, that tune may change.
Back to the top

Five hours later, a new blog appears…

Photo Update and Discussion

Off-campus marketing, Coca-cola on campus, some slight movement on the Breezeway, military and veteran's projects, etc

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Five hours later, a new blog appears…

Photo Update and Discussion

Off-campus marketing, Coca-cola on campus, some slight movement on the Breezeway, military and veteran's projects, etc

Posted On: May 12th 2016, 5:21 PM #356130

Well done, that was a lot of information.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Thanks!
Back to the top

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

Looks like there is finally some movement on Coach Schnellenberger's restaurant as the windows are now blocked out and I saw some vehicles over there today.

The Shoppes at University Park has also picked up a few tenants, though nothing to really get excited about (medical office, "school of rock" music lessons, etc). The facade is being redone to be more modern which should attract more tenants. And Investments Limited knows how to turn these things around.

I mentioned before about escape rooms and a while back really hoped one would come to Boca near FAU. Well, a few months ago one opened on Dixie just south of 20th called Master Escape Room that's great. Now TWO more opened near campus on NW 2nd: Try-n-escape (has a wild west room, also the cheapest I've seen at $25/person vs the industry standard of $28) and Adventure Vault, although I believe they only have one room with plans for at least 2 more. There's also technically one called Sherlock Escape Room off of Hillsboro and 95. Now, I can only speak to the quality of the Master Escape Room having done it but hopefully the others are done well. Not surprised they opened two on NW 2nd in the industrial area because you have plenty of open modifiable space there.

There are a lot of other recreational concepts that would work in warehouse settings - indoor paintball, indoor archery tag, indoor bubble soccer - so even if that area stays industrial for awhile we may see some interesting things to do.

Back to the top

How is the construction of the interchange coming along? Boca hasnt updated the page in a while and i havent been down that way in while also?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Looks like there is finally some movement on Coach Schnellenberger's restaurant as the windows are now blocked out and I saw some vehicles over there today.
Posted On: May 28th 2016, 9:40 AM #356374

Any movement there will not be for his restaurant. I believe that ship has sailed, at least on 20th Street.
Back to the top

fauowl said

owl2Doc said

Posted On: May 28th 2016, 9:40 AM #356374

Any movement there will not be for his restaurant. I believe that ship has sailed, at least on 20th Street.
Posted On: May 28th 2016, 2:20 PM #356380

REALLY, wow. Any more to the story?

Did our tepid reaction on TON cause him to rethink it? Couldn't get investors? Change of heart?

There ARE a lot of burger places opening in the area he'd have to compete with, what with Tucker Duke's, Delish and now Boca Burger House opening a second location downtown…
Back to the top

I don't think the opinions of a bunch of Owl's Nest bloggers carried too much weight on whether or not to invest a bunch of money. I'm sure they had a little more to go on. Probably too many similar establishments in the area or not a desired location. The food business is very tricky.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

How is the construction of the interchange coming along? Boca hasnt updated the page in a while and i havent been down that way in while also?
Posted On: May 28th 2016, 12:52 PM #356377

I don't have any insider information on it, just eyeballing it:

Noticed that the Spanish River bridge has been expanded and they're cleaning that up. Land has been cleared and is being cleared for the ramps, of which there are several pieces being constructed along 95 near Yamato and hence there have been some road closures/slowdown in that area to accommodate the construction.

They're making progress but it's not "almost done" by any means. The Spanish River blvd bridge is closest to completion.

It's really pretty remarkable to see this take shape and how it's going to affect the university.

Speaking of the university, I haven't noticed any real changes to the north entrance (Spanish River) of FAU; I expect there will be landscaping and new signage because it's a confusing entrance if you're not familiar with the layout in reference to the Research Park, PBSC and the support buildings all before you hit campus.
Back to the top
Control functions: