Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

REGIONAL THREAD: Coral Gables, FL - June 3rd - 6th, 2016

Add topic

2016 NCAA Baseball Coral Gables Regional Primer

What:    2016 NCAA Coral Gables Baseball Regional

Where:  Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field

Who

1. Miami 45-11 (At Large)
2. Florida Atlantic 38-17 (At Large)
3. Long Beach State 36-20 (At Large)
4. Stetson 29-29 (A-Sun Auto)

When

Friday, June 3rd
Game 1: #2 FAU 1 vs. #3 LBSU 5
Game 2: #1 Miami 4 vs. #4 Stetson 2

Saturday, June 4th
Game 3: FAU 8 vs. Stetson 4
Game 4: LBSU 3 vs. Miami 4 (11)

Sunday, June 5th
Game 5: FAU vs. LBSU @ 1:00 PM
Game 6: Miami vs. Winner Game 5 @ 7:00 PM

Monday, June 6th
Game 7: 7:00 PM *
*If necessary

Pre-Tournament Notes

Florida Atlantic (38-17) will be playing in their third regional in the last four seasons, and their 12th overall. The Owls last appeared in the Coral Gables Regional in 2005. FAU has been in the Coral Gable regional six times with eight wins in those tournaments. FAU will be looking to advance to its second Super Regional after winning the Tuscaloosa Regional in 2002. The team split with Miami during the regular season 1-1, with both games being played in Miami. FAU posted eight wins over ranked teams in 2016 play, which included three against Top-5 programs. The Owls own the best team ERA in the tournament at 3.17, and are batting 2.92 collectively.

The host Hurricanes, who finished the 2016 season with a 45-11 record and their second ACC Regular Season Championship in the past three years, have made the NCAA Division I Baseball Championship each season since 1973, and own an all-time NCAA Regional record of 123-46 (.728). Miami sports a team batting average of .300 and has a cumulative ERA of 3.54 on the mound.

Long Beach State (36-20) returns to the postseason following a one-year hiatus after nabbing an at-large selection in the postseason. The Dirtbags, who finished second in the Big West Conference, enter the Miami Regional as the only non-Florida school. Long Beach State trails the overall series against Miami, 8-16, and has never faced FAU or Stetson. The 49ers enjoy a 3.18 team ERA, and are hitting .269 as a unit.

For Stetson, it will be the Hatters 18th appearance in the NCAA Tournament and their fourth appearance in the event in Coral Gables. The Hatters (29-29) defeated Florida Gulf Coast 5-4 to capture the 2016 Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament title. The last time Stetson played in the Coral Gables Regional was 2001 where they lost to the eventual national champion Hurricanes after eliminating Bucknell and Florida. Stetson has not played FAU since 2006, but own a 35-25 all-time series advantage over the Owls. The team is hitting .262, while the pitching staff owns a collective ERA of 3.87.

Weather wise, Friday and Saturday are currently offering the typical chance of a June shower or thunderstorm, but the chances go up significantly for Sunday. Accordingly, start times are subject to change.

The winner of the Miami Regional takes on the victor of the Oxford Regional which includes Mississippi, Utah, Boston College and Tulane.
Back to the top

Let's see if they can flip the script.
Back to the top

This is rough. Miami very well could win the national championship. In fact, they may be the favorite to do so, they are that good. Long Beach State have seen players such as Evan Longoria go through their program. They could easily be the best #3 seed in the whole tournament.

But something that I have learned first hand of late: Nothing great in life is achieved with ease.

The boys are really going to have to earn this own. Go Owls!!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Jack David Whidden III (2) said

Long Beach State …They could easily be the best #3 seed in the whole tournament.
Posted On: May 31st 2016, 11:49 AM #356412

+1

They have good pitching, and their ace is legit.

We have to score runs, this will not go well if we get into 4-3, 5-4 type games again.
Back to the top

Here is a behind the plate look at 49er ace Darren McCaughan:

Back to the top

A lot of cut fastballs.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

A lot of cut fastballs.
Posted On: Jun 1st 2016, 4:14 PM #356421

Maybe, but he was named a 2nd Team All-American today…

Hope they go with their normal Friday guy!
Back to the top

I would bet they go with the stud Rick. Got to win the first one.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I would bet they go with the stud Rick. Got to win the first one.
Posted On: Jun 2nd 2016, 6:28 PM #356446

They sure are keeping it a big secret…and the game is tomorrow at 1:00 PM.

I have asked twice now for the starter and mum is the word from their coach.

Looks like they are going to keep it that way up until the cards being turned in.
Back to the top

Of course as soon as I write the above the e-mail comes with the selection…

:Laughing:

They are going with their normal Friday guy, RHP Chris Mathewson tomorrow.

So, we need to take care of business…
Back to the top
Control functions: