Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

REGIONAL THREAD: Coral Gables, FL - June 3rd - 6th, 2016

Add topic

Local Owl said

It's not the facilities. We just need to hit off speed and breaking stuff. Our stats will prove we hit fastball throwers way better. Brandon Rhodes gave up 5 in six innings. I'm way ok with that.The problem is we only put one on the board. You can't make the other pitcher look that great. Brandon gave up one big hit but we didn't do the smart things on the field to help him. Throwing behind a guy that is hung up between third and home is high school stuff. Letting a runner go from first to third on a single to left is unheard of. Again , happy with our arms , not our bats. Too bad. Great season. Did not deserve to advance. Great memories this season. First one with out my ole buddy Gene. First one where we had other things to think about early on with John and Kevin. Watching CJ grow from a long lancky kid that swung at everything , to the player of the year and future pro. FAU baseball is in a good place. We will turn the corner and we will have our chance at the big stage. That is what makes baseball great and why I love it so much.  NOW….who will be our starting QB ?????
Posted On: Jun 5th 2016, 4:37 PM #356638

GREAT POST local, sorry we lost but we did not hit nor pitch nor play very well down there. Better competition for sure, but ya go play WAY better at the end of the season, last two tourneys pretty raw!
Back to the top

Regarding facilities…we are a southern team, but in some ways at a disadvantage even to northern schools. At least the northern teams have a place they can practice during inclement weather, as do most, if not all, of our conference competitors. Getting coverage batting cages and bullpens would allow us to recover a lot of practice time we lose to Mother Nature which our competition does not. Nothing fully takes place of outdoor practice, but everything is better than a cancelled practice. This is why at last year's Line Drive Luncheon, the covered bullpens and batting cages we named as a priority.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Local Owl said

It's not the facilities. We just need to hit off speed and breaking stuff. Our stats will prove we hit fastball throwers way better. Brandon Rhodes gave up 5 in six innings. I'm way ok with that.The problem is we only put one on the board. You can't make the other pitcher look that great. Brandon gave up one big hit but we didn't do the smart things on the field to help him. Throwing behind a guy that is hung up between third and home is high school stuff. Letting a runner go from first to third on a single to left is unheard of. Again , happy with our arms , not our bats. Too bad. Great season. Did not deserve to advance. Great memories this season. First one with out my ole buddy Gene. First one where we had other things to think about early on with John and Kevin. Watching CJ grow from a long lancky kid that swung at everything , to the player of the year and future pro. FAU baseball is in a good place. We will turn the corner and we will have our chance at the big stage. That is what makes baseball great and why I love it so much.  NOW….who will be our starting QB ?????
Posted On: Jun 5th 2016, 4:37 PM #356638

GREAT POST local, sorry we lost but we did not hit nor pitch nor play very well down there. Better competition for sure, but ya go play WAY better at the end of the season, last two tourneys pretty raw!
Posted On: Jun 5th 2016, 8:05 PM #356642

Which is very true. We should have played better in our two losses, but Long Beach State plays very well when it comes to tourney time. You take a look at LBSU record since 1989, they have played in the college world series, and making it to Omaha or Super Regionals at least four times. They produce very good ball players like we do. We just went cold at the wrong possible time in the season.

MLBBoca said

Regarding facilities…we are a southern team, but in some ways at a disadvantage even to northern schools. At least the northern teams have a place they can practice during inclement weather, as do most, if not all, of our conference competitors. Getting coverage batting cages and bullpens would allow us to recover a lot of practice time we lose to Mother Nature which our competition does not. Nothing fully takes place of outdoor practice, but everything is better than a cancelled practice. This is why at last year's Line Drive Luncheon, the covered bullpens and batting cages we named as a priority.
Posted On: Jun 5th 2016, 8:20 PM #356644

As far as facilities goes, MLBBoca had it right. While indoor batting cages and bullpens dont make up for a outdoor practice, it would allow our team to get some valuable time in that we would lose if we had to wait for weather to clear. Such a upgrade would be cheap compared to the indoor football facility we are currently fundraising for. The cost has to be less than five million I would think.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

As far as facilities goes, MLBBoca had it right. While indoor batting cages and bullpens dont make up for a outdoor practice, it would allow our team to get some valuable time in that we would lose if we had to wait for weather to clear. Such a upgrade would be cheap compared to the indoor football facility we are currently fundraising for. The cost has to be less than five million I would think.
Posted On: Jun 5th 2016, 8:57 PM #356646

We just competed in the equivalent of March madness for Baseball. We have an awesome baseball program. The games were 60 miles away. How many FAU fans did you see there today? Just curious.
Back to the top

unfortunatly i had to this work weekend, so I couldnt go. 
Back to the top

fauowl said

USMCOWL said

We just competed in the equivalent of March madness for Baseball. We have an awesome baseball program. The games were 60 miles away. How many FAU fans did you see there today? Just curious.
Posted On: Jun 5th 2016, 9:20 PM #356649

The attendance today was 1122, and I'd estimate 2/3 to 3/4 were there for FAU.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Actually, for something similar to the what the Marlins and Cardinals have at Roger Dean Stadium, well under $1 million. I don't have the brochure with me, but if my memory is correct, at the 2015 Line Drive Luncheon, the estimate was around $300,000 to $350,000 for about 10,000 square feet.
Back to the top

By the way, one FAU fan down by the tree made a great catch of a line foul.
Back to the top
Control functions: