Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If you could change one thing with the NCAA sports

Add topic

If you were allowed to change one thing within the NCAA concerning sports whether being rule changes for particular sports, to different guidelines or safety and academic standings, what would that one thing be.

Mine would be all sports officials must be evaluated by both the NCAA and their individual conferences, perhaps based on the professional style of evaluations used by the professional sports. IMHO. 
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

If you were allowed to change one thing within the NCAA concerning sports whether being rule changes for particular sports, to different guidelines or safety and academic standings, what would that one thing be.
Posted On: Jun 6th 2016, 11:32 PM #356660

My change would be to have more structure in football scheduling. Look at Pro sports, every sports team in every sport has the same number of home games and the same number of away games as all teams in their leagues.

In college football the conferences with the money (SEC) can schedule 8 home games and 4 away games simply because they have the power and money to do it. It gives them a huge and unfair advantage. The rich get richer.  

What if the Patriots played four more home games than any everyone else because they have power and money?
Back to the top

fauowl said

USMCOWL said

My change would be to have more structure in football scheduling. Look at Pro sports, every sports team in every sport has the same number of home games and the same number of away games as all teams in their leagues.

In college football the conferences with the money (SEC) can schedule 8 home games and 4 away games simply because they have the power and money to do it. It gives them a huge and unfair advantage. The rich get richer.  

What if the Patriots played four more home games than any everyone else because they have power and money?
Posted On: Jun 7th 2016, 7:01 AM #356661

A better analogy for my statement would be where the NFL NFC would all get 9 home games and the teams in the AFC would all get 7 home games. The NFC would get better opportunities for more revenue, more opportunities for more victories, both which leads to being more capable of having better stadiums and attracting better players, and having more fans.

That's how college football operates.
Back to the top

A 16 team playoff in football.  The stop of collusionary/anti-trust activity perpetrated by the Power 5.  Easier transfer rules, especially for walk on athletes.  Immediate "free agency" or guarantee of scholarship for the remaining years of your 4 year bachelor program if your recruiting head coach leaves.  Real punishment for administrators and/or coaches for violations instead of the innocents players who are left behind after scandals.  And the death penalty for FIU.  Just for being FIU.
Back to the top

Just choosing one is difficult.

Probably that any athlete found guilty of battery, rape, theft or drug-dealing leads to automatic ineligibility of college sports for life.

It's time to clean up the landscape.

People will rise to the standards you set.

Playing college sports on scholarship is a privilege, not a right.
Back to the top

fauowl said

USMCOWL said

Agreed.
Back to the top

fauowl said

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Jun 7th 2016, 7:01 AM #356661

I also agree with you Mark. A level playing field would help balance some of the imbalance of power out there now. Group of 5 is at a HUGE disadvantage financially, in recruiting, facilities and coaching, and obviously competitively too. The deck is totally stacked in favor of the Power5! Just check out the new CUSA media deal as proof;

Report: Conference USA to get less than $3 million in TV revenue | Dr. Saturday - Yahoo Sports
Back to the top

OC Irritant said

And the death penalty for FIU.  Just for being FIU.
Posted On: Jun 7th 2016, 1:21 PM #356663

:cool:
 :Big-Grin:

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

OC Irritant said

A 16 team playoff in football.  The stop of collusionary/anti-trust activity perpetrated by the Power 5.  Easier transfer rules, especially for walk on athletes.  Immediate "free agency" or guarantee of scholarship for the remaining years of your 4 year bachelor program if your recruiting head coach leaves.  Real punishment for administrators and/or coaches for violations instead of the innocents players who are left behind after scandals.  And the death penalty for FIU.  Just for being FIU.
I disagree with everything here aside from FIU.

The only thing that needs to be changed is, schollys should be guaranteed for full bachelors degree.  Aside from breaking any serious rules/laws they should be guaranteed that.

If they want to be paid like professional athletes, go play in minor leagues.  Dont commit to a coach, commit to a school.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

OC Irritant said

I disagree with everything here aside from FIU.

The only thing that needs to be changed is, schollys should be guaranteed for full bachelors degree.  Aside from breaking any serious rules/laws they should be guaranteed that.

If they want to be paid like professional athletes, go play in minor leagues.  Dont commit to a coach, commit to a school.

Posted On: Jun 23rd 2016, 4:17 PM #356829

Then you are correct onLY on 1 item.
Back to the top
Control functions: