Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Hopefully-Yet-To-Be-Finished Story of One Time FAU Recruit James King

Add topic

Two years ago Miami's recruiting class was falling apart. Desperate for linebackers, Al Golden reached in to FAU's pocket and lured James King away. Now, this may seem fantastic for James, as he got to go to his dream school on full scholarship. But those on the outside looking in could all tell that King would never even be given the opportunity to turn in to more than a practice player. 

Fast forward to the present day, and King has been granted a release to transfer.

He could have come to FAU and started, but instead followed his dream (and likely listened to golden's lies) in flipping to Miami on signing day. 

Will we pursue? Who knows. What I do know is that it hurts to see a kid's collegiate career follow this pattern knowing what he could have been at a school like FAU. More recruits need to know that being offered a scholly on signing day is not a good thing. 

Hopefully King resurfaces, finishes his eligibility strong, and, most of all, gets his degree. 
Back to the top

Great post! Good points.

Not sure if we need to pursue or even have a scholly available for him.
It's sad to see him end up that way. Maybe he can transfer down to FCS, play right away and see what happens in 2017.
Back to the top

Sometimes these guys trickle back to us.

If he really wants to be here, I'm sure he could walk-on now and vie for a scholarship in the near future. He may not want to do that, understandably.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

If he really wants to be here, I'm sure he could walk-on now and vie for a scholarship in the near future. He may not want to do that, understandably.
Posted On: Jun 22nd 2016, 12:57 PM #356802

He's already "sat out" 2 years, I have a feeling he wants to see some action right now.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

owl2Doc said

He's already "sat out" 2 years, I have a feeling he wants to see some action right now.
Posted On: Jun 22nd 2016, 1:36 PM #356805

Good luck to him, but I hope we don't pursue him to come here.

I think it would send the wrong message that you can just come here whenever you want. When a recruit moves on, we need to move on as well. I feel confident the staff would feel the same way.
Back to the top

This is the story with tha vast majority of 2* recruits lied to by the Power 5 coaches. Can we name ANY recruit who turned us down for a Power 5 scholly other than Baker Mayfield (who walked on at TT) who has become successful? Any of the rest have simply disappeared from the face of the football world.
I wish Mr King luck though.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

This is the story with tha vast majority of 2* recruits lied to by the Power 5 coaches. Can we name ANY recruit who turned us down for a Power 5 scholly other than Baker Mayfield (who walked on at TT) who has become successful? Any of the rest have simply disappeared from the face of the football world.
I wish Mr King luck though.
Posted On: Jun 22nd 2016, 2:56 PM #356810
King was a 3 star recruit.

And Baker Mayfield walked on. He did not originally have a scholarship offer. He planned on committing to FAU, and then his dad actually said to him, "Are you sure you want to go to FAU?" So he pursued his dream. But you are correct, that will not happen often with recruits that we have lost. 
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Jun 22nd 2016, 1:36 PM #356805

He was granted an unconditional release by Richt but he will still need to sit out the mandatory year required by the NCAA.

Also, he has not sat out the last two years.  While he may not have been a starter or a significant contributor, he played on special teams and saw time playing defense against Bethune Cookman, Nebraska, and Cincinnati.
Back to the top

Well hopefully Richt WILL raise UM's sights in recruiting and STOP competing with us. With the exception of Parr, as soon as one of ours gets a U offer, boom they are gone.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Well hopefully Richt WILL raise UM's sights in recruiting and STOP competing with us. With the exception of Parr, as soon as one of ours gets a U offer, boom they are gone.
Posted On: Jun 22nd 2016, 4:33 PM #356815

In an ideal world, sure, but unfortunately we're at the level now where both teams are using 3 star players and we won't stop competing for those "middle ground" guys (as opposed to 4 and 5 star guys) unless one of us drops football.
Back to the top
Control functions: