Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Hopefully-Yet-To-Be-Finished Story of One Time FAU Recruit James King

Add topic

No but your first job interview out of college in the Midwest would have likely been with someone who's heard of Miami…versus having to explain that FAU isn't an online college. :D 

The few Harvard grads I've spoken to about the rigors of school there all claim it's no harder than where I went, it was just waaaay harder to get in. 
Back to the top

My first job out of college was in Florida where I am from. The question raised wasn't about reputation. A comment was made that UM is better academically. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

When I went to FAU ('75) it was still just a 2-year college you went to after Community College. As long as you passed at the CC level, FAU and it's like had to accept you.

I would NEVER get in with my old grades and the new standards we have for acceptance and admission now!

Proud of being able to get through FAU for my degree but very proud of how FAU has grown and changed and improved!
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

If I majored in accounting at UM instead of FAU, what would I have learned more?
Posted On: Jun 24th 2016, 6:40 PM #356846

That depends on you.  People tend to learn better in a class of 10 compared to a class of 30.  In addition, if more resources such as tutors, TAs, better computer programs (speaking specifically for accounting), etc, conceivably you could learn more.  Also, more access to advisors, better funding, better paid professors (which should mean better qualified) would lead to a better academic experience.   
Back to the top

The quality of my education at FAU varied widely class-to-class. Sometimes I basically just had to show up and other times I had to bust my ass. Sometimes the professors read quite unassuredly from a Powerpoint and other times the professors roamed the class while giving a powerful monologue. So when people ask if the education is good at FAU, or better somewhere else, it's so hard to say from personal experience.

I know when people criticize FAU on college websites they like to say they came from XYZ where the work must be more demanding, calling our assignments "busywork" rather than truly challenging us.

So when you ask whether you would have learned the same thing, I think it depends on if they are able to cover more material than we are, give harder assignments, etc. Their reputation is built on research. Good researchers don't always - perhaps rarely - make good teachers. We know this, just like we know large 500 seat auditoriums don't get through to people the same way that 30-seat classrooms do.

The one thing that bothers me… I was watching Matt Damon's commencement speech at Harvard, a little while after I re-watched the Social Network… and one of the things that they tell their students is that they expect them to invent great things, start new businesses, change the world… that you should endeavor to be the boss instead of the employee… and I think that's something that we don't communicate well to our freshmen.
Back to the top

I scored high enough on the senior exam or what ever it was called back then to get into any of the state universities in FL at the time. My grades were good enough too. It's a long story but I originally wanted to go to UF but a few life circumstances changed those plans. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Back to the original subject. I remember a couple of years ago, local star Keith Bryant  took his official visit and was promptly sent home when he took the whole thing as a joke. He had no intention to go to FAU and later signed with FSU. Trust me. He didn't go to Tally because it was better academically.  Four years later….what a bust. He has barely played. He has been out played by younger guys. This may be his year. But what a waste.
Back to the top

I know we are all FAU homers but we are being a little harsh on a 18 year old kid.

Let's remember, they are around other students/athletes/parents all the time asking them where they are going to college to play football.  There is a lot of pressure to go to the biggest name schools, also these kids are used to be being the best of the best at thier level.  Just because some website lists him as '3 stars' you think in his mind he doensn't believe he can compete with other Miami LB recruits?  I sure hope that is not how he thinks.

On top of all that, Miami has won national championships and is ranked as a top 50 academic university in the country.  We dont have that resume….not yet.  (I really hate Miami btw).

Golden is gone, new regime is in.  Lots of transfers happen after coaching change.  This kid did what he thought best for himself.  There is no proof any coaches lie, they gave him a scholarship to come compete for a starting LB role.  By the way he is still really young, career is far from over.

If he is interested, by all means we should offer him an opportunity if he is talented enough.  I know a lot of people that move to big cities like NY, Chicago and LA only to realize they are more suited for smaller places…I dont think that makes them bad people.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Back to the original subject. I remember a couple of years ago, local star Keith Bryant  took his official visit and was promptly sent home when he took the whole thing as a joke. He had no intention to go to FAU and later signed with FSU. Trust me. He didn't go to Tally because it was better academically.  Four years later….what a bust. He has barely played. He has been out played by younger guys. This may be his year. But what a waste.
Posted On: Jun 26th 2016, 8:43 PM #356865

I remember, him acting like a fool was the only headlines he has made since graduating.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: