Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Set to Build New Tennis Facility

Add topic

FAU Set to Build New Tennis Facility

The facility will feature eight NCAA sanctioned hard courts with a walkway running between the courts and a shaded viewing area.

“An on-campus tennis facility is transformative for both the men’s and women’s tennis programs", said Ricardo Gonzalez, FAU Head Men’s Tennis Coach. "We are excited about building fan engagement at our matches, especially for the students, and are thrilled about the potential opportunities to host collegiate, USTA and ITF tournaments.”

“The addition of a tennis facility adds to the continued growth of the world class campus and athletic program FAU has been developing", said Marcy Hora-Cava, FAU Head Women’s Tennis Coach. "It will help in bringing the community and students to view our growing tennis teams as we pursue our goal to be a nationally ranked tennis program.”

Back to the top

Good news!  No reason why FAU shouldn't have a top tennis program considering the talent that plays in South Florida.  Now, we should clear that overgrown area northwest of the stadium and build a golf course followed by upgrading the track facility and then of course the indoor swim facility.
Back to the top

Here's the layout and location of the new facility:

Back to the top

OC Irritant said

Good news!  No reason why FAU shouldn't have a top tennis program considering the talent that plays in South Florida.  Now, we should clear that overgrown area northwest of the stadium and build a golf course followed by upgrading the track facility and then of course the indoor swim facility.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2016, 9:55 AM #356887

FAU should be top 25 EVERY year in soccer, golf, swimming, baseball and tennis almost literally by default.  The number of athletes in south florida for these sports is incredible.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

OC Irritant said

Posted On: Jul 1st 2016, 9:55 AM #356887

FAU should be top 25 EVERY year in soccer, golf, swimming, baseball and tennis almost literally by default.  The number of athletes in south florida for these sports is incredible.  
Posted On: Jul 1st 2016, 10:57 AM #356889
St.Thomas and Bolles in Jax have two of the best swimming programs in the country and they basically just flow into UF.

FAU has had the same old golf coach for years who hasn't produced anything and  I have only heard bad things from guys I knew who were on the team. No reason FAU couldn't find 1 in a million golf pros in south Florida who would love to coach a D-1 program.
It would be nice to see have FAU golf have an indoor swing bay etc.

Also at @Owl2doc Would it be worth it into FAU buying/having its own course not only for the Golf team, but for the public to be able to play on it, host fund raiser/ charity events.

I know ocean breeze has been in financial trouble it would be nice for FAU to buy it and redo course and club house and turn it into a money generator.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

FAU has had the same old golf coach for years who hasn't produced anything and  I have only heard bad things from guys I knew who were on the team. No reason FAU couldn't find 1 in a million golf pros in south Florida who would love to coach a D-1 program.

FAU should hire away Nova's men's golf coach. Now there's a coach that can win.

owlcountry40 said

Also at @Owl2doc Would it be worth it into FAU buying/having its own course not only for the Golf team, but for the public to be able to play on it, host fund raiser/ charity events.

I know ocean breeze has been in financial trouble it would be nice for FAU to buy it and redo course and club house and turn it into a money generator.

Posted On: Jul 1st 2016, 11:42 AM #356890

Funny enough there has been talk of that because the City is looking at all options to try and hold onto that golf course.

Unfortunately the maintenance cost is high and obviously outweighs the current revenue generated by the course, so I have to believe FAU will ultimately pass on the deal unless it's a joint deal with the City or the City and somebody else. TBH I am not optimistic that will happen, though…. at least not with Ocean Breeze.

There are other courses in the City that developers are trying to poach and FAU may be able to get in on one of them. Most desirable would be Red Reef on the ocean. That would be an incredible thing to brag about.
Back to the top

There is a movement to obtain further interest from the City to enter into a three way deal with BTUOA (Boca Teeca Unit Owners Association) and Lennar for a housing project on the existing course with upgrades.

I live there…

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

An "everybody wins" situation eh?

Kind of like what they're trying to do for the Wildflower property by the intracostal bridge on Palmetto. Don't know if you guys are familiar there but the City bought it for like $6M and wants to lease the space to Hillstone, which would build a Houston's restaurant there for waterfront dining on the intracostal… meanwhile citizens want a waterfront park… it's a whole big thing. They're trying to see if they can do both, maybe buy the property north of it and have a park there.
Back to the top

Rick said

There is a movement to obtain further interest from the City to enter into a three way deal with BTUOA (Boca Teeca Unit Owners Association) and Lennar for a housing project on the existing course with upgrades.

I live there…

:Big-Grin:
Posted On: Jul 1st 2016, 2:01 PM #356893
The latest and greatest I've heard on this is…

Ocean Breeze closed down on Thursday for good.  Lenar bought the land with no plans of keeping a golf course.

However, their are going to be zoning issues which Lenar will have a tough time overcoming.  I have heard the city of Boca wants to get rid of the current Boca Muni, which doesn't have the zoning issues Ocean Breeze does.  So Lenar might literally swap with the city and make OB the city of Boca's municipal golf course.

I'd like to see that happen.  Ocean Breeze is in a great geographical location, with city $ invested to make it the boca muni,  could be a really nice place to play golf (basically a place off 95 and Yamato in the shape Osprey Point is in).

As far as FAU goes, not sure if the city woudl be interested in partnering with us or not.  If they were, FAU would be stupid not to hop on this.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Well again golf courses are expensive to maintain so FAU would have to be expected to at least break even on their investment.

Do the golf teams draw any spectators? I'm curious because I actually have no idea. I don't imagine it's anything close to a significant source of revenue for the Athletic Dept even if they do.

Using it for fundraisers is a no-brainer but I think they just do that one every year, right?

If they open it up to general students you could make an argument for raising athletics fees but that's always a touchy subject. There could be a three way partnership between the students, the Foundation and Athletics maybe, and even that is weird to say because Athletics is funded by the other two, so it's really a two-way deal.

Just wondering how to spin it.
Back to the top
Control functions: