Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Countdown to the 2016 FAU Football Season

Here's number 37…

Back to the top

Checking in at number 38 is the Owls' best all-time FB Willie Rose:

Back to the top

I have shared this story before but every time I hear the name, Willie Rose, I think of the story & laugh.

Not sure what game it was, but it was in Lockhart. Willie Rose was just killing it that game. On one series we just kept handing him the ball and driving down the field. He had to be exhausted. On one play he got dinged up and stayed down on the ground (probably to get a breather). The trainers came on and helped him off the field.

As soon as he was out, we stopped moving the ball. After about 2 plays Howard had seen enough. Howard walks over to the training table where Rose was be looked at, says a couple of words and then grabs Rose by the horse collar, yanks him off the table, and shoves him toward the field to get back in the game.

Evidently he was cured of any ailments.  Probably couldn't get away with that these days but watching it happen back then was very entertaining.
Back to the top

That's a great story, and still makes me laugh as well. Can just see Schnelley walking over and asking what is going on, then when he is told shaking his head back quickly and gravelling out "get your (body part)back on the field" with a yank!

Rose was a class act, one of my favorite players…

Back to the top

Its still a couple days away but his TD in the NO Bowl is one my favorite FAU on ESPN memories of Willie.

"I know this cat called way out willie!"
Back to the top

In at number 35 is another  pummeling of the neighbor to the south… 

Back to the top

At the Orange Bowl!

Someone find a video of that 65yard Rob Housler end around TD! Man that guy was great if he didnt have to catch the ball!!
Back to the top

teambeer said

At the Orange Bowl!

Someone find a video of that 65yard Rob Housler end around TD! Man that guy was great if he didnt have to catch the ball!!

Posted On: Jul 30th 2016, 6:53 PM #357406

+1  I just remember him coming around and looking like FIU had the angle, and he just got faster and faster.  To bad he has the hands of a very small man!   I also remember the FIU fans taunting my group with "well we have a law school and a medical school."  I said GREAT!  But we kick your ass every year.
Back to the top

teambeer said

At the Orange Bowl!
Posted On: Jul 30th 2016, 6:53 PM #357406

I remember being at that game. I believe it was the last football game to be played at the OB.
Back to the top

2nd to last, there was a high school game there the next weekend.

I remember a bunch of Miami fans coming to the game and watching them unbolt seats from the stadium to take them home!
Back to the top
Control functions: