Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs SIU

As a longtime contributor and grad of both FAU and SIU, I thought it would be appropriate to get a thread rolling. Admittedly, I have been to more SIU games as of late than FAU. This is largely due to geographic proximity. Thoughts on the game? Let's go....

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

SIU didn't do real well last year. I have no idea what to expect this year. No one up here in this part of the state talks about college football. Probably because UI never has a good team.
If FAU has gotten all the kinks out this year it shouldn't be a close game.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I did see SIU has added a good number of FBS transfers, what can you tell us about them?
Back to the top

SIU lost a number of games by less than 7 points. Most losses are very close. The record is not indicative of overall performance. Not too sure about transfers. Always have a number of solid D1 transfers. About half of them pan out. I expect that the D will move back to a 4-3. Played 3-4 the past few years and were undersized. The new coach will probably use more vertical passing than past seasons and more of a pro-style offense than years past. Hard to know what SIU will bring. I can say that they have talent and should play a competitive game.

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

SIU lost a number of games by less than 7 points. Most losses are very close. The record is not indicative of overall performance. Not too sure about transfers. Always have a number of solid D1 transfers. About half of them pan out. I expect that the D will move back to a 4-3. Played 3-4 the past few years and were undersized. The new coach will probably use more vertical passing than past seasons and more of a pro-style offense than years past. Hard to know what SIU will bring. I can say that they have talent and should play a competitive game.

Posted On: Aug 1st 2016, 10:06 PM #357448

If we are on the path we think we are on I expect to be up 7 to 14 points at half and run away with it in the second half due to our depth at offensive line and defensive line.  I hope for a healthy game and a confidence builder.  IF we have a 7-3 Wagner game I will be going to a liquor store immediately after the game to stock up for the season.
Back to the top

OC Irritant said

owlfan1 said

Posted On: Aug 1st 2016, 10:06 PM #357448

If we are on the path we think we are on I expect to be up 7 to 14 points at half and run away with it in the second half due to our depth at offensive line and defensive line.  I hope for a healthy game and a confidence builder.  IF we have a 7-3 Wagner game I will be going to a liquor store immediately after the game to stock up for the season.
Posted On: Aug 1st 2016, 11:05 PM #357449

I dont think we need to run up the score. I think we need to

a) Be dominant on defense including lots of turnovers.
b) Clean quick well executed plays on offense without stupid mistakes or unnecessary penalties.  

Back to the top

OC Irritant said

IF we have a 7-3 Wagner game I will be going to a liquor store immediately after the game to stock up for the season.
Posted On: Aug 1st 2016, 11:05 PM #357449

I'll be right behind ya.

And if we lose that game, I'll be attending the remainder of the home games, sitting in the Hyundai deck area where I have access to the bar :)
Back to the top

Let me point something out. The SIU fan has stated they lost some close games last season and doesn't know what to expect this season. We are saying, it shouldn't be close,we should run away with it ,etc. Reality check! We are exactly what he said. We have no idea what we will see. They, like us, have talent. How that will translate onto the field is anybodies guess. This is not a negative comment. I am pretty sure we should be better than last season. I simply don't know how much distance we made up on the conference leaders.
Back to the top

SIU lost close games in Div ll to not great teams, FAU lost close games in Div I including taking the then #8 ranked gators to OT and taking it to Miami late in the 3rd until we lost our starting QB and RB.

If this is a close game the program is in big trouble and I will heading to the liquor store as well.  I was going there anyway I'm just going to buy more than usual.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

SIU lost close games in Div ll to not great teams, FAU lost close games in Div I including taking the then #8 ranked gators to OT and taking it to Miami late in the 3rd until we lost our starting QB and RB.

If this is a close game the program is in big trouble and I will heading to the liquor store as well.  I was going there anyway I'm just going to buy more than usual.
Posted On: Aug 2nd 2016, 7:23 AM #357453

Not division 2. SIU is in the strongest conference in 1-AA. Lost to multiple playoff teams and Big Ten Indiana. 6 losses came by a total of 19 points. Again, I do not know what to expect with a new coach on board. I do think it will be close at the half. That is how SIU plays. Depth will likely be the difference. 

Back to the top
Control functions: