Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Red hot Meet and greet

Went to the red hot meet and greet.  was a success from what I can tell. Plenty of students and fans showed up. Didn't get a chance to ask AD Pat Chun how the selection process is going for a architect for the athletic center. But family and I had a blast. Stopped to see the progress of the tennis courts. Not a lot of progress. Black plastic environmental fences up but no real progress beyond that. 
Back to the top

Couldn't make yesterday.  I have the 1st 20 plays for the S. Ill. game scripted.    I wanted to go over them with coach trickett. LOL

Back to the top

we couldn't make it this year either.  I'm guessing still no word on starting qb….no hints either at the meet and greet?
Back to the top

owl in training said

I'm guessing still no word on starting qb
Posted On: Aug 22nd 2016, 1:59 PM #357864

I got my money on Parr, but I think Driskel might get the nod… In other words, I have no clue.
Back to the top

I feel like its going to be Driskle.
We are going to win with defense and running the ball and Driskle provides experience.
Driskle also showed real signs of being a QB last year despite a poor OC.

Back to the top

I also have a feeling like it's going to be Driskel because of his experience. It's interesting because some have said Parr is the highest rated QB prospect we've ever had, implying that he would come in and assume the starter ASAP, but yet he's neck-and-neck with Driskel here. I guess that says something about Driskel's development over time.

One thing I liked about Schnellenberger's system was giving the backup time to play, usually in the second quarter IIRC. That way he doesn't run off because he's "not getting any playing time" and at the same time getting game experience for when the starter goes down or he outright replaces him. I know some don't like that because it disrupts a QB's flow but that always made a lot of sense to me and I wish we'd do that here with Parr if he's not #1.
Back to the top

I don't care who it is. It just needs to be the guy who will take care of the ball, and not make mistakes
Back to the top

I know who I want it to be….BUT, I am not the person whose  job relies on the correct decision. I am 100% certain that the guy they pick to start the game will be the the best guy for the job today. I hope they are right…
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Didn't get a chance to ask AD Pat Chun how the selection process is going for a architect for the athletic center.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2016, 5:17 PM #357856
The Applicant Submittal list is out and there are 13 names on it.

Some of them - like Borrelli & Partners, VIA Design Studios - don't seem to have true websites with their portfolio up.

MC Harry is the architect behind our Breezeway project and let's just say it's been a bumpy relationship. I would not want them in charge of this project, personally.

HKS collaborated on our stadium. Gallo Herbert did our Caf expansion. Zyscovich did Parking Garage 3. LEO A Daly did the new Student Union rendering I shopped around here a little while back that would have taken over the Administration building.

I like Harvard Jolly a lot.

HOK is obviously a beast, having designed a lot of athletic facilities in their day. Crawford and Gensler are fine too.

…yep. Harvard Jolly and HOK probably my top 2 then.

You know, when some of the Big Boys - like Oregon and Alabama - decided to add new football centers, they got cutting edge athletic facilities. I know people want to argue that we're limited on funds (not arguing that) and it could look like a gutted out airplane hangar for all some people care, but remember this is a facility that is supposed to sell four star athletes on coming here. Details matter. It needs to be impressive. You want a firm that understands this is as much about selling our program and our university as it is about training athletes.

There are a lot of architecture firms out there that have given us crappy designs (GPT, anyone?). This is not the time for that.
Back to the top

I have some faith that they're going big with this facility. The $50m goal is evidence of that, that's what Tennessee spent on their version of this facility/center!

both Kelly and Chun have personal experience from 2 of the top 10 facilities on the planet, so they know what amazing looks like. 

Do it right guys!! We only get one shot.

8 wins and a top 3 facility in the state (FSU and UF have a lot of nice things, but we can easily beat the rest when it comes to "stuff") puts us in a great position to dominate CUSA in the future or during expansion talks 
Back to the top
Control functions: