Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Jason Driskel named as FAU Football's starter at QB versus Southern Illinois

Jason Driskell named as FAU Football's starter at QB versus Southern Illinois

Head Coach Charlie Partridge

·         “I am proud of both quarterbacks and the entire football team for how they have handled the quarterback competition. The entire body of work from January until now has been taken into account to make the decision. As we approach game week, the recent performances were weighted more heavily. We anticipate and expect both to continue to prepare and compete as if they were starting. Jason Driskel will be the starting quarterback versus Southern Illinois”

Jason Driskel

On earning the starting spot versus Southern Illinois and knowing the competition will continue

·         “The thing about playing football, it is such a physical sport, you are one play away, especially at quarterback where one guy plays. You have to prepare like you are playing every snap for 14 games this season and I’m sure Daniel will feel the same way.”

On his relationship with Daniel Parr

·         “Daniel has been here two of the three years that I have been in college; 67% of the time I have been at FAU he has been here. I think we have built a really good relationship. Obviously in the same position room, you are friends with all of the guys, especially at quarterback when there are five of us. You can really see each person’s personalities come out. Not only mine and Daniel’s relationship, but our relationship with Coach [Travis] Trickett and all of the quarterbacks has a really, really special dynamic.”

Daniel Parr

On his comfort with both the “1s” and “2s” to step in

·         “I think our two-deep crew is a very solid crew and I feel comfortable playing with any one of these guys and will prepare to be ready at any time for this team. Whatever string you are, you have to prepare each week like you are a starter. Depending on what happens in the game between injuries or performance, you have to be prepared and I will definitely be prepared each week to play.”

On his relationship with Jason

·         “Since coming here, I have had a steady and good relationship with Jason [Driskel]. We have been able to learn from each other, especially when I first got here. As a freshman, I was able to learn from all the quarterbacks and have gained from their experience. Overall, it has definitely been very good.”
Back to the top

You were rooting for Driskel over Parr, I take it. Any reason why?
Back to the top

Congrats to Driskel.

Some were worried that Parr would leave in this instance. I sincerely hope that's not the case.
Back to the top

You can't make a decision based off somebody transferring out. If that happens it will be unfortunate, but I think we have that covered with Frank, and the current commits.

The competition will continue I do not think it will be a short leash, but if Driskel struggles for a stretch of game I have no doubt Parr will be put in.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

You were rooting for Driskel over Parr, I take it. Any reason why?
Posted On: Aug 23rd 2016, 5:58 PM #357898

I saw some good things last year.
I also want guy who has played and will let the D and carry us to wins.
Why take a chance with an QB who has never played?
I have also heard from a couple players I still know that Driskel had a good camp.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Congrats to Driskel.

Some were worried that Parr would leave in this instance. I sincerely hope that's not the case.
Posted On: Aug 23rd 2016, 6:00 PM #357899

If he does then it means Driskel is playing well and we have our QB for the next three years.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

You can't make a decision based off somebody transferring out. If that happens it will be unfortunate, but I think we have that covered with Frank, and the current commits.

The competition will continue I do not think it will be a short leash, but if Driskel struggles for a stretch of game I have no doubt Parr will be put in.
Posted On: Aug 23rd 2016, 6:09 PM #357900

Parr was an exciting QB committ at the time for us.  He was a level of recruit at the QB position we could never recruit and sign before.  I dont know how to say this without sounding bad, but we will be able to recruit a QB on Parr's level pretty much every year going forward.  We have 2 QB's committed right now that are as talented from a recruiting standpoint.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Charlie deserves credit for this decision as well. He had way more personal incentive to start Parr. That was his prized recruit two years ago. Driskell was a Pelini recruit who just kinda stuck. To me it shows Driskell won this job without a doubt. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Charlie deserves credit for this decision as well. He had way more personal incentive to start Parr. That was his prized recruit two years ago. Driskell was a Pelini recruit who just kinda stuck. To me it shows Driskell won this job without a doubt. 
Posted On: Aug 23rd 2016, 6:30 PM #357905

That's a good point, choosing Pelini's guy over his big win in recruiting has to show that Driskel won the job outright.  Congrats!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Everyone can sleep well tonight…

Back to the top