Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Jason Driskel named as FAU Football's starter at QB versus Southern Illinois

Rick said

Now that "the big announcement" is over and the dust has settled…

THIS JUST IN FROM THE EDITORIAL NEWS DESK:

No one ever said that Driskell was the starter, they said he was the starter for Southern Illinois.

If Driskell so much as flounders even a bit, Parr will be on the field.

There were some non-playing factors that carried significant weight in this decision as well, but when it comes down to it the guy who gets the wins will get the job long term.

My money has and will continue to be on Parr in the long term.

We now return you to regularly scheduled programming…

Posted On: Aug 25th 2016, 12:03 PM #357972

Just curious what are your reasons for believing Parr is the long term answer? Not being critical just curious.
Back to the top

EVERY team needs two capable QB's, at minimum!
Back to the top

I was in the Parr camp all along. First, I know nothing about Jason and his ability. That being said I do know what Parr can do.I previously said if Parr gets a chance he will shine. I still believe that. I respect the coach's decision and I hope Jason tears it up. But if needed , Daniel has the ability to be a star at this level.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

First, I know nothing about Jason and his ability. That being said I do know what Parr can do.
Posted On: Aug 25th 2016, 3:59 PM #357983

A lot of people feel the absolute opposite way. We've all seen Jason in action.
Back to the top

Rick said

Now that "the big announcement" is over and the dust has settled…

THIS JUST IN FROM THE EDITORIAL NEWS DESK:

No one ever said that Driskell was the starter, they said he was the starter for Southern Illinois.

If Driskell so much as flounders even a bit, Parr will be on the field.

There were some non-playing factors that carried significant weight in this decision as well, but when it comes down to it the guy who gets the wins will get the job long term.

My money has and will continue to be on Parr in the long term.

We now return you to regularly scheduled programming…

Posted On: Aug 25th 2016, 12:03 PM #357972

Right. And you have to think that if things go accordingly (ie comfortable lead in the 2nd half) we should get a real good look at Parr in a live game scenario
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I was in the Parr camp all along. First, I know nothing about Jason and his ability. That being said I do know what Parr can do.I previously said if Parr gets a chance he will shine. I still believe that. I respect the coach's decision and I hope Jason tears it up. But if needed , Daniel has the ability to be a star at this level.

How do you know what Parr can do? He has never played a snap in college. That is not say that is bad thing plenty of QB's did amazing things as redshirt Freshman.

I just want to hear the reasons why those who think Parr should be the starter. Because I haven't seen enough of him to judge.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Local Owl said

How do you know what Parr can do? He has never played a snap in college. That is not say that is bad thing plenty of QB's did amazing things as redshirt Freshman.

I just want to hear the reasons why those who think Parr should be the starter. Because I haven't seen enough of him to judge.
Posted On: Aug 25th 2016, 4:59 PM #357986

Most people just want the hype of Parr to be true.
He went to a local power house in Dwyer (only went (8-4Parr's senior year BTW)and chose us over Miami.
It's not as sexy for Driskel to be the starter and get progressively better each year.

QB is the hardest position to evaluate in all of sports no question.
NFL GM's bring in scientists practically to figure who will be good and it's still only a 1/3 shot a 1st round pick will be a starter for more than 3 years.
So IDK how anyone on the forum can think Parr can have "it" when he has never played.
Maybe he does but the fact it he couldn't be out a guy only a year ahead of him.
Also to Rick's comment on he's just named for this game.
It would be a poor poor decision to name a QB per game and have one guy looking over his shoulder every snap.
Also as for "off the field stuff" Charile is 6-18 unless a QB committed a felony the better guy was going to start he needs to win.
Back to the top

MGIII gets the start!!! I'm telling you guys, he's gonna be amazing
Back to the top

If I am the coaching staff I look at the situation this way…remember it's hard to evaluate how a QB will play (Parr) in live game situation from watching practice and scrimmage.

Driskell has game experience and will be able to handle the pressure of starting the first game.  I would put Parr in for a few series if the game is relatively tight.  If we are ahead by a good margin you let him play more.

Then we play tough games that experts think we have less than a 10% chance to win (@Miami, @Kstate % in Vegas).  You let Driskell start those games as well, those are tough games for a RS Freshman to start with zero playing time his freshman year.  If Parr starts and has a really tough go, his confidence could be shaken.  If Driskell keeps us in the games and we compete fantastic.  Hopefully this doesn't happen (but it happened to Quez last year) if he gets injured in any way, you have Parr.  If we get blown out you let Parr play the 2nd half or 4th quarter depending on how the game goes.

After those 3 games, you have a true idea of what Parr is capable of in a live college football game.  Also, you can gauge Driskell's progress and if his leadership abilities make us competitive.  Then you make the true decision of who our starting QB is going into Conference play having seen them both play.

As fans, lets just hope one of them comes out like Rusty did as a quality QB that we can have success with over the next 3-4 years.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Just curious what are your reasons for believing Parr is the long term answer? Not being critical just curious.

Posted On: Aug 25th 2016, 1:31 PM #357976

Intangible:

• The "It Factor"

Tangibles:

• Ultra competitive
  • Strong arm
  • Accuracy

Reminds me of another QB we used to have, and another one we lost.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:smile:

Back to the top