Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The "I don't want to go off on a rant here but..." Thread

We've had a thread or two (thanks Owl2Doc for starting those conversations) that have got me thinking about...communication and our lack of it at FAU. This board is probably the MOST plugged in 1% of FAU alumni/fans in the universe and most of us have NO idea of half of the things that are going on at FAU in Athletics, or just about anywhere else, it's mad. 

I was going to start a thread about Watch Party locations this fall, because maybe I missed it, maybe we've done away with them, who knows, but I haven't heard a thing about it this year. Is Tilted Kilt still the bar I have to go to to ask a bartender to please put the FAU game on one TV for me in the corner even though that's supposed to be our home spot? Because that was my experience last year the few times I went there. Where are the staff members when we host events like that? Are we having watch parties this year? 

What's the theme for next Saturday against Ball St? First responders day? Family day? In my opinion, that game could really make this season. Many of us hoped for a 2-2 start and though there's a better chance of us beating KState than Miami, it's still not likely so our bowl chances get helped a TON if we can beat Ball St but from my seat, I've hardly seen a thing about the game anywhere. It's all well and good that we lie to ourselves about how many people attend these games, and maybe that's all Chun cares about, the surface numbers, but we don't have a home field advantage right now given how lackluster our fan support is. I get that everyone reports tickets sold, FIU just committed a felony reporting anything higher than 500 for their last home game but people have to see it right? We hardly had any people on our HOME side in the last game yet I don't see the Athletics Department throwing the kitchen sink at us to get attendance up...in fact, I'd say I've seen less marketing this year than in years past. 

Maybe this is just me, so correct me if I'm wrong but if the people who really care don't have an idea of what is going on, how are the fairweather fans supposed to find out about anything? 
Back to the top

100%.
Back to the top

I have to agree. I know that times have changed but I remember those billboards all over 95, owls Pepsi marketing. I feel at times that our marketing was better when we were at Lockhart, as well as our attendance. Definitely our marketing department can improve. 
Back to the top

WE have a Marketing Dept.???? :Big-Grin:

From all the way up here I get the same feeling, very little effort into getting the alum base ANYWHERE moving and growing. And for us out-of -staters, no effort to get us to come down there for a game.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

WE have a Marketing Dept.???? :Big-Grin:

From all the way up here I get the same feeling, very little effort into getting the alum base ANYWHERE moving and growing. And for us out-of -staters, no effort to get us to come down there for a game.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted On: Sep 12th 2016, 2:38 PM #359083

totally agree with you GeorgiaOwl.  I live in Wake Forest, NC and I feel the same way.  I am going to the Marshall and MTSU games.

GoOwls!
Back to the top

FAU 05 said

I have to agree. I know that times have changed but I remember those billboards all over 95, owls Pepsi marketing. I feel at times that our marketing was better when we were at Lockhart, as well as our attendance. Definitely our marketing department can improve. 
Posted On: Sep 12th 2016, 2:32 PM #359082

FAU marketing is great and they do all they can do (and I don't have a friend who works there lol)

It's 2016 Billboards, Pepsi, stuff are all a waste of money.
Idk if it an age thing, but I simple don't notice those advertisements and many people don't.

We do a great job of social media advertisement their is constantly videos, and ad's of FB and twitter for every game and the season this also included highlight of recent games and videos of people tailgating. Posting most stuff on social media is free BTW.
Our attendance was just under 15k the last game and maybe 1k or so more because of some not getting tickets scanned.
The good thing about our first home was the fact out of those 15k 14k were in the seats cheering hard for the owls as opposed to 1k like FIU.

You guys forget FAU has undergrad since 1988 and you can for the most part FAU wasn't a real college experience until the last 10 years.
I have a group that started as 2 young alumni holding season tickets to now 8.
It just takes time and word of mouth?

Did you know there was a watch party in NYC for the UM game because advertised on social media.  
I know all the season tickets holders get emails for things like the coaches show.
I'm sure every alum has gotten a call from a student asking for information on how you are doing and slowly working to the point of asking for money.
FAU has a small calling center  with students who get paid to call alumi for this information all the time and if you haven't been called it means you need to update information.

You want more people in the stands?
1.Ask your friends to buy tickets over and over and over and over again.
2. Every time that guy in the office (who wears  a gator polo on Fridays) aks about FAU football sell the program to him no matter how hard it might be sometimes because you never know who he might tell.
 3. Its out of control "kinda"  and it been talked about this forum till death, but we gotta win and win for years.

I work in field that is somewhat recruiting so I tend to be more aggressive, so I do see missed opportunities for athletics.
Like during graduations I would hand every graduate a card with the ad for the 200$ young alumni season tickets plan.
I would have team that literally  went business to business asking people about FAU football (get the city to help you because higher attendance only help them.
It doesn't even have to be a ''salesy'' pitch if you go in with the approach you are doing research.

Walk into business
Ask manager or whoever have you ever been to an FAU football game?
"No" then ask why?
You will be amazed what people might think to themselves if asked "why" one out of 50 might say "that's a good question" and boom that person bring there family to one game a year
If they ask what you are doing this for say local research for FAU athletics in order to help learn more about the community and how they can reach more people (which isn't a lie).

Tell me what you guys think, but I know a billboard and an ad on a coke can isn't what advertisement is in 2016 or heading into the future.

Also wish you guys has this much passion about our team looking the same against UM as we did 4 years ago………..  
Back to the top

I am pretty sure we are all in agreement, that the outreach to the general public by the marketing department has been very weak at general marketing of events for FAU teams. We are also in agreement that reach out by the alumni department has also been very dismissal as well, but hopefully the new hire made by President Kelly will change that. As far as general marketing, it probably all falls within what the university can actually afford to market out there. But maybe with the new tv show that the football team has, improved performance by the team and other sports will help in that department by bringing in additional sponors and getting the brand out there, which all of us agree that needs to happen. But time will tell.
Back to the top

Bottom line though is the team HAS TO IMPROVE to get people in S. FL to wanna buy tickets and alums to take notice and be proud of their education at FAU!
Back to the top

I tend to agree with the social media aspect of advertising these days.

We can help by reposting, reTweeting, etc into our own social media outlets to pass along the "excitement" of attending FAU home games.

People in SoFla will usually show up if it's the cool thing to do, so help sell it!  Family, friends, neighbors, church groups, co workers - whatever.

We've watched our group grow from a few in the first season to almost 40 in our block for the first game this season.  Keep selling the experience.

Back to the top

We are a pretty well kept secret, but it's getting better.  Thank guys like Alfred Morris,  Lucky Whitehead  Trey Hendrickson and Buddy Howell that get us some ink.  Local sports media treats us as second rate, but it is getting a little better.

We do have a few things going for us.  Our stadium is a great place to watch a game.  Tough to beat really.

Easy in and out, no trouble parking, lots of space to tailgate.  The seats are right on top of the field.  I sit on the 45 yd line 9 rows up and I can't ever see giving those seats up (unless I can slide over to the 50).  Plenty of concessions and restrooms.  It's a real game day experience.

For away games that are on TV, I love to sync the video with our radio guy Ken Lavicka.  Calls the game like a rabid fan with genuine excitement.

The 6 pm starts make life much nicer.  We have to make that permanent, at least until  late October.  Then maybe no earlier than 4 pm?

I understand we are not progressing in the win column like all of us want.  I don't think anyone understands the complete disarray Pellini left the program.  I commend Coach Partridge for taking this program  and rebuilding it from ground up - the right way.  We are recruiting better than ever.  FAU has a lot to offer a student athlete.

Coach Trickett  is going to turn our offense in to a scoring machine.  He's only had 2 games.  Remember we have no preseason and practice isn't what it used to be.  Way slower  than game speed and a fraction of the contact.  It is going to take a bit longer. We have some players on this team.  We have two more games before we start conference play.  I am confident we will be ready.

I wasn't always a proud alum, but I have become one.  A couple of significant wins will move the needle quite a bit.
Back to the top
Control functions: