Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Winning against K-State

I went to the UM game with excitement of at least a great showing by the Owls.  I love this team and I have traveled over the span of years to many of these Power 5 games.  We hung tough, but eventually we could not stop UM who is riding a high with Richt.  Other Sun Belt teams such as South Alabama, Georgia Southern and Troy are putting up a fight and making their appearances on ESPN.  They are making their name known, and  have done it with less.  Look at their facilities, conference affiliation and geographic presence.  Georgia Southern alone has had more  of an impact against Power 5 teams than we have had ever in our D-1  program existence.  I am leaving out the fact we beat a 1-11 Minnesota team in 2007 and UF was close but still no win.  In order to get remembered you need to win those games you need others to take notice may it be fans, conferences and future recruits.  Perception is reality and the reality is we haven't done much in 8 years.  We went from having a high hopes with back to back bowl wins to being a ghost team in a mid major conference.  I told one of my buddies who is a Nebraska fan  about FAU football and he couldn't believe that we ever went to a bowl game.  Some of our students  that are freshman may even question if we are D-1, once again perception of losses, low attendance, losing to inferior competition creates this perception.  I must admit that we are way better than what we were years ago.  I believe Charlie is doing a good job and the program is buzzing and  flourishing with better talent.  A win at K-state broadens our exposure and word of mouth.  K-state is no Alabama or not even a UM, it is a winnable game and it should be treated as such.  A win of that nature may help with a win over Ball st. and the start of a winning streak.  If we continue to win people  will show up.  We have opportunities to go further and a possible move to a better conference such as the American.  The sky is the limit, but we need to stop treating these Power 5 games  like soccer friendly's.  Let Driskel unleash his talent, let him evolve into the player he wants to become. If we are  down bring in Parr.We need to mentality off sense of urgency, that its our last resort no room for error.  We can beat K-state.  If we get blown out again I doubt we have what it takes to become bowl eligible.

"You have to want it"
Back to the top

There's a progression to winning.  First you have to beat the teams lower than you.  Then you have to beat your equals.  Then you have to compete for your conference and win it!  Some happen all at once and some take time to build.  Just because we have been losing for 8 years and the fans want to win NOW doesn't mean it will happen.

This is a young team (with a ton a talent we may never have seen around here before) whether fans want to acknowledge it or not.  Before the season I was (and still) hoping that Driskel's learning curve would be short and the implementation of Trickett's offense would be quick.  It doesn't look like that is happening.  The state of the offensive line is a whole other matter.  Moving guys around constantly doesn't bode well to continuity on the offense.

We competed against Miami, and we should compete against K-State.  With a much better chance to win.  But the reality is if we finish the first 4 games 2-2 then we are exactly where we should be.  A win Saturday is a chance to say we are ahead of the curve.
Back to the top

I would think K State is beatable at home and a win there would be good for the program.

Don't know how much national attention it would garner with them being down recently, but still a great win.

I believe the latest lines have FAU as a 22 point underdog.
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Don't know how much national attention it would garner with them being down recently, but still a great win. .
Posted On: Sep 13th 2016, 9:39 PM #359128

It would be the biggest win in program history.  Those don't come easily.
Back to the top

Yeah, 22 points. That's what I'm seeing too.

Went from "we should be competitive" to "we'll probably be blown out by K State".

I mean, every big team thinks they're going to steamroll us… that doesn't surprise me anymore. And we're coming off consecutive 3-8 seasons, given up 68 points so far, and could have lost to an FCS team at home.

I get it.

I just wish that this team would give these beat writers, sports bettors and fans more reason to pause. I mean, Miami is "facing a huge test in Appalachian State"? I wish they were saying things like that about us, especially after the UF game last year.
Back to the top

K State held Stanford to under 300 yards of total O we had neg 1 rushing in a half vs UM.

My issue is the fact this staff hasn't show they bring any advantage on gameday.

Yea we are talented, yea the players play hard for Charlie, but the fact is in 26 games under Charlie we have played maybe 1 complete well played game on both sides of the ball.

I see some good things happening with this staff ], but i'm worried they have a ceiling.

Great coaches have made more with way less then this team.  
Back to the top

@Doc…this team hasn't done anything to give the writers a reason to use that angle. Other than UF last season. most teams cover the point spread. KSU's 22 is about right. I know everyone whats/hopes/prays that the football team does great. But a more realistic goal should be to get bowl eligible. Heck, that would mean we had twice the wins as last season. We will have that chance if at some point we are 2/2. If we miss the 2/2 mark, I will just sit here and enjoy reading the OC40 posts. Because he will be correct.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

@Doc…this team hasn't done anything to give the writers a reason to use that angle. Other than UF last season. most teams cover the point spread. KSU's 22 is about right. I know everyone whats/hopes/prays that the football team does great. But a more realistic goal should be to get bowl eligible. Heck, that would mean we had twice the wins as last season. We will have that chance if at some point we are 2/2. If we miss the 2/2 mark, I will just sit here and enjoy reading the OC40 posts. Because he will be correct.
Posted On: Sep 14th 2016, 6:00 AM #359143

Same. I think we can all agree that Ball St. Is a must win
Back to the top

Local Owl said

@Doc…this team hasn't done anything to give the writers a reason to use that angle.

I agree with you, which is what's frustrating as a fan. Looking forward to being a team that bigger teams need to watch out for… 
Back to the top

Tyson Summers who I said I would have loved to be Fau's head coach is 2-0 already at GSU and beat USA who we all know beat Miss state and neither game was close.
Back to the top
Control functions: