Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Regression

It hurts to see FAU get destroyed by a weak K-state team. We played them 10 years ago and got blown out and same result but worse now.  Why is there no sense of urgency to compete against these teams?  The only thing I can come up with is regression.  If you want to compete set up a  better schedule with winnable Power 5 games like a Vanderbilt, Boston College or Northwestern.  Pay them to come down here for exposure and beat them. I know Angelos and Pelini set us back but they have been gone a few years now. We are like the mets of college football. The losing has been a culture and we are pointing fingers and still making excuses.  It's making it hard for die hard fans like myself to beleive and I still do. I was there from the Lockhart days And trust me we have more and are doing less.  Back then we had way less and did more, hence regression.  Going forward we need to show that we want it more.  Ball st.  Will be no pushover but winnable. I want Parr to start.  Driskel is good but I want to see our other option now.  Remember Rusty Smith he emerged and shined and the rest was history.  

Go Owls!
Back to the top

I think we start Driskell but have a VERY short leash, he performs and protects the ball or parr goes in - WITH THE SAME MESSAGE!

WE OPEN UP AND ATTACK OR WE DIE ON O GUYS. OTHER NON POWER 5 TEAMS CAN SCORE AND AT LEAST COMPETE BUT LOOK AT OUR LAST 5 QUARTERS - DISASTER AND AWFUL FOOTBALL - IF YA CAN CALL IT FOOTBALL!

GUT AND BALL CHECK TIME GUYS - NOW - THIS WEEK!
Back to the top

I understand the financial benefit for the athletic department in playing these kind of match ups, but it has to be hard to overcome for the team and coaches.  For every close game at UF, there's multiple blow outs in other big name stadiums.

FAU really needs to focus on winning the conference games first and foremost, but again - overcoming a loss like this makes it tough to regroup.

My observations and frustrations come from a breakdown in fundamentals - missing the open pass with little pressure, not catching the ball while not in tight coverage, no defensive contain on the weakside of the play resulting in large offensive gains, the defenders throwing their body instead of wrapping their arms to make a tackle (when obviously undersized against the big name teams).

The losing against the big boys is one thing - these breakdowns through coaching, drills, and conditioning is another.

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I think we start Driskell but have a VERY short leash, he performs and protects the ball or parr goes in - WITH THE SAME MESSAGE!

WE OPEN UP AND ATTACK OR WE DIE ON O GUYS. OTHER NON POWER 5 TEAMS CAN SCORE AND AT LEAST COMPETE BUT LOOK AT OUR LAST 5 QUARTERS - DISASTER AND AWFUL FOOTBALL - IF YA CAN CALL IT FOOTBALL!

GUT AND BALL CHECK TIME GUYS - NOW - THIS WEEK!

Posted On: Sep 18th 2016, 11:43 AM #359419

You cant play QB's with them looking over their shoulders it kills confidence and makes them play on edge.

Driskel or Parr or  even Cam Newton no one is going to have confidence behind the oline.

Many saw Driskel sailing balls over guys head yesterday.
When QB's sail ball its because they aren't stepping into their throws with the front foot.
Its hard mentally to step into a throw when you getting smashed every play.

I could tell that Driskel was just trying to get ball out of his hands as fast as possible and thus the mistakes

I'm worried either Driskel or Parr confidence will be destroyed playing behind this swinging gate.  
Back to the top

Partridge said after the game that Parr's performance vs Kansas State still showed that he had work to do with the fundamentals. I don't think he's going to get the start vs Ball State.
Back to the top

Not sure what he is referring to, but considering the guy we played the entire game overthrew receivers to the point where the announcers commented on it at least four times, and practically did nothing to protect the ball when he got hit and ended up losing it twice within our own 10 yard line. Aren't those key "fundamentals" for a QB?

Driskell sure thinks so:

“The first pick was a bad read, the second pick was a bad ball. The first fumble was third grade stuff, the ball comes out of your hand when no one is even around you, and then the second fumble is lack of ball security. These are the things that we work on every single day, I have been doing them my whole life. It is inexcusable and it was horrible to watch I am sure. It felt horrible to do out there, it felt terrible.”

Back to the top

I agree.

Let me transcribe the exact quote from Partridge in his post-game exchange with ESPN:

"Again, it's about operating our offense. When Parr went in there, you know, he showed a couple things that he needs to do better to operate the offense. There's a thing or two that he missed on the first play. So we just gotta keep growing with Jason (I think he meant Daniel), he needs to be able to operate first before we give him a chance to take the reins."

So "fundamentals" being my word but the same basic idea.
Back to the top

Right,  ok head knowledge (play book adjustment) …that has been a constant so far when they have given grading out… 
Back to the top

Rick said

Not sure what he is referring to, but considering the guy we played the entire game overthrew receivers to the point where the announcers commented on it at least four times, and practically did nothing to protect the ball when he got hit and ended up losing it twice within our own 10 yard line. Aren't those key "fundamentals" for a QB?

Driskell sure thinks so:

“The first pick was a bad read, the second pick was a bad ball. The first fumble was third grade stuff, the ball comes out of your hand when no one is even around you, and then the second fumble is lack of ball security. These are the things that we work on every single day, I have been doing them my whole life. It is inexcusable and it was horrible to watch I am sure. It felt horrible to do out there, it felt terrible.”

Posted On: Sep 18th 2016, 4:28 PM #359436
I am glad Jeff is taking responsibility for his errors, mental and physical, shows maturity and leadership. Not real sure about our HC though! When a team sucks ya need to say so and demand fixes, mental and physical if ya wanna keep playing (or Coaching, even at ONLY a half a MIL a year!).
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Rick said

Driskell sure thinks so:

Posted On: Sep 18th 2016, 4:28 PM #359436
I am glad Jeff is taking responsibility for his errors, mental and physical, shows maturity and leadership. Not real sure about our HC though! When a team sucks ya need to say so and demand fixes, mental and physical if ya wanna keep playing (or Coaching, even at ONLY a half a MIL a year!).

Posted On: Sep 18th 2016, 7:26 PM #359443

Jeff plays for Cincinnati Bengals I believe.  And if you can't figure out why they are throwing 4 yard passes and not attacking the defense down the field it's because they can't protect Jason.
Back to the top
Control functions: