Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

Add topic

Anything happening with the big project just north of campus? And how is the !-95 ramp project coming along???
Back to the top

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

GeorgiaOwl said

Anything happening with the big project just north of campus?
Posted On: Sep 20th 2016, 4:08 PM #359532

University Village? No construction yet. The Penn Florida website lists it as "Status: Final Development Approval Services: Development + Asset Management+ Leasing".

Remember, the project will be built in phases. What I'm unclear on is how much Penn Florida will build vs how much Penn Florida will lease to other developers to build the desired mixed-use housing, grocery store, hotel, etc.

I'm hoping it will be a "cooler" and more diverse version of Mizner Park.

GeorgiaOwl said

And how is the !-95 ramp project coming along???
Posted On: Sep 20th 2016, 4:08 PM #359532

Several large segments are in place and they're starting to connect them now. I've taken photos but they never come out well because of the distance and angle. I believe the project will be finished in Fall of next year, so they still have some time to go.
Back to the top

New blog entry:

Monday Mish-Mash

Baseball facility news, tennis court update, new spirit banners, master plan update, renovations, homecoming thoughts and more. Bunch of pictures.
Back to the top

That is a terrific post on your blog and it hits the mark square on regarding alumni involvement on campus FOR ANYTHING actually, not just homecoming.

Offering a fuller experience to alumni would help alumni feel more apart of the school (super important IMHO regarding CONTRIBUTION$$$$$!

They need to poll alums from everywhere but to me die to my location, especially those out of state or even over say 200 miles away, why they are OR ARE NOT involved and correct whatever top get FAU PEOPLE INVOLVED!

We are a "young" University BUT NOT THAT YOUNG ANYMORE, FAU HAS BEEN AROUND NOW FOR OVER 50 YEARS! Like our football "team", let's stop using that nice easy EXCUSE to why we are not say UF (large public) or even UM (smaller private)! Do more than just ask for $$$ all the time. provide some value to the events and INCLUDE those you want contributions from! Believe me, those involved will be much more prone or even open to helping IF THEY FEEL INCLUDED!
Back to the top

From the blog, "Since Kelly tends to be a bold thinker with big plans, I’m especially curious to see how he envisions FAU over the next 10 years or so covered by the new Master Plan."

The plan may cover a longer term (statute even states "10 to 20 years"), but, by statute, must be updated every five years. The November 18, 2009 plan was given an initial extension of one year in 2014, and last November 24, an additional two-year extension. The extensions were due to sudden and unforeseen changes in FAU administration that could, and likely will, show significant changes in the vision for FAU. One of my favorite adages is, "You either have time to do it right, or time to do it over." Though granted a two year extension, at the Council meeting last November, Azita Dotiwala, FAU's Campus Planner, testified that FAU had just finished its strategic plan, and hoped to have a new Master Plan within a year. It sounds like FAU will meet that earlier expectation.

One thing I always found interesting is that the 2009 plan had a new power substation north of Airport Rd/Spanish River Blvd and east of i-95. FAU last year (?) renewed the lease for that and other property north of Spanish River Blvd (I believe it is three parcels) for several more years.

As for the statute, which is for the intent of the City being able to access an impact fees, such as the I-95 interchange for which FAU met its obligation a long, long time ago. Members of City staff have stated the new master plan needs to be in effect prior to groundbreaking for new athletic facility (though it sounds like it is simply replacing the "Convocation Center / Arena" on the old plan). The timing of the new master plan may be perfect.

§1303.30(3):

Each university board of trustees shall prepare and adopt a campus master plan for the university and maintain a copy of the plan on the university’s website. The master plan must identify general land uses and address the need for and plans for provision of roads, parking, public transportation, solid waste, drainage, sewer, potable water, and recreation and open space during the coming 10 to 20 years. The plans must contain elements relating to future land use, intergovernmental coordination, capital improvements, recreation and open space, general infrastructure, housing, and conservation. Each element must address compatibility with the surrounding community. The master plan must identify specific land uses, general location of structures, densities and intensities of use, and contain standards for onsite development, site design, environmental management, and the preservation of historic and archaeological resources. The transportation element must address reasonable transportation demand management techniques to minimize offsite impacts where possible. Data and analyses on which the elements are based must include, at a minimum: the characteristics of vacant lands; projected impacts of development on onsite and offsite infrastructure, public services, and natural resources; student enrollment projections; student housing needs; and the need for academic and support facilities. Master plans must be updated at least every 5 years.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=1000-1099/1013/Sections/1013.30.html
Back to the top

it was another great posting Owl2Doc. Glad to see everything coming together. While going through the fact sheets and master plans, i came across a document in which besides the plans for upgrading the buildings, it also calls for upgrading the infrastructure as well. Looks like the campus is going to be a bee hive of construction for the next few years.
Back to the top

Obviously I'm pretty invested in the 20th Street project and I've been scouring the Treasure Coast Regional Planning Council, FAU and Raton City websites trying to find out more information about upcoming public meetings.

For months now, nothing. I figured it'd happen eventually, kept checking every 2 weeks or so.

Today on Twitter I see they're meeting literally right now about it. Went on the Boca city website, see a posting for the public meeting. Not sure when that posting went up or how I missed it but I was pretty p****ed that I missed the meeting today.

Emailed the lady at TCRPC behind it. Trying to get the Powerpoint, maybe get the meeting audio too so I can parse through and give you guys the Cliff Notes version of what they're thinking. No response yet. Was hoping somebody in the media would write about it, since the meeting was over almost 12 hours ago now, but haven't found anything about that either.

Hope to find out more soon.
Back to the top

Boca Mag talks a little bit about the interaction between Kim Delaney of the Treasure Coast Regional Planning Committee and 20th Street.

The most encouraging news is that they want to get this done quickly. I am going to reach out to TCRPC to see what I can find out.
Back to the top

Boca Mag offered THIS update on the 20th Street district. Key quotes:

- "The Treasure Coast Regional Planning Council has submitted its report on the proposed student district for FAU along 20th Street east of the campus. Administrators are reviewing the report and will prepare a presentation for the Boca Raton City Council." Slowly but surely.

- "The report recommends that the city begin work this spring on a University District Master Plan" which sounds like it may grow beyond just 20th street.

- "As FAU implements its plan to have all freshman and sophomores live on campus" … keyword ALL. Wonder if this means they're getting rid of the "if you live in X miles radius from campus you can live at home" exception

- "campus police would be the first responders, with the city’s department assisting if needed" to all issues within the University District (great idea)

- "To improve relations between FAU and the city, the planning council recommends that they establish a chapter of the International Town & Gown Association." This should have been initiated a long time ago.
Back to the top

I've heard the President wants to increase campus housing to around 10,000. We're right around 4,200 now. Requiring campus housing for the 1st two years would help achieve that goal but I worry about the cost of on campus housing already. If the new housing is as expensive at Parliament is then I think we run the risk of hurting our already struggling retention rate.
Back to the top
Control functions: