Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Ball State @ FAU Game Thread - September 17th, 2016

Add topic

I've been barking this for over two years now since the Wyoming game.

Coaches either have it or they don't. 
Look at Scott Frost who took over an 0-12 teams and now comes in running a completely different offense he's 2-2 with a OT loss to Maryland and is already 50 points better then FIU.
His QB is true freshmen.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

GeorgiaOwl said

Now we have to beat FIU, Charlotte, UTEP and ODU at home plus Rice on the road. No mess-ups or no Bowl. Can we do it - what do you guys think?

No. 

We may win one of those games but not all of them. Probably FIU, because the guys "get up" for games against Florida teams.

But I think it would be impossible for anybody to look at our performance as of late and confidently say we can get 5-6 more wins.

We could also win no games for the rest of the year. The team is broken and it's not just the cut-and-paste O-line. (Actually, it's the defense I'm most worried about)

Here's the thing. We want to go to a bowl game because we haven't since 2008 and because that would validate that we're making progress. But that 2008 team LOOKED like a bowl team DURING the season. This 2016 team (just like the team the last two years) does not.
Posted On: Sep 25th 2016, 10:45 AM #359821

The thing with 2008 – we started out 1 - 5 that season I believe, 1-5! We along with Troy were the odds on favorites to win the Belt and we were playing like garbage through half of the season and then went on a roll. So while we went to and won a bowl, in a certain way that was an underachieving team since we were coming off that magical 2007 Bowl team. There was never any real progress to me after that 2008 year - - through different coaches, stadium, (right now at least) better recruiting, new conference etc. Yet we have been stuck in the mud for about 8 years as a program.

All those "easy" teams, including FIU, think they will have a chance against us, as they should. There is nothing I am seeing that makes me think this is remotely a bowl year. The first game against a FCS team at home, while a win, was telling.

Back to the top

My solution to the D is fire "Coach" Roc and let the guys awarm to the ball like WKU does.

THEY should have beaten SEC Vandy again yest but went "our" style D with the lead late and blew it, couldn't stop a cold from that point!WKU brings 6 guys ACROSS the LOS almost every play disrupting the O and chasing the QB EVERY PLAY. You CANNOT overcoach zero and 2* and even 3* players, that is a part of ehy they are rated so low.

Fire Roc  TODAY and simplify and we win the 5 more (probably 6) guaranteed!

And for ALL the Coaches, where is the fire coming out of a delay. We have none and make no statetment plays on either side of the ball yet FRIGGIN Ball St. has not one but TWO TD's drive right out of the delays. THAT is on the Coaches to not have THEIR team come out of a delay ON FIRE!

And Pres. Kelly, we will be luck to have 10-12 K the rest of the year! Try paying the stadium debt and athletic budget with THAT!
Back to the top

And the O, I did not see a porting of tota1 halftime stats but apparently 2nd half we had only 79 yards passing and a YPP O of 3.9! Way to keep the pedal to the metal and keep on scoring. HECK, a 10 point 2nd half (SUCKS) would have won this!

QUITE A FRIGGIN DROP OFF COACHES!

From 245 passing yards and a YPP of 8.3 to that, against a MAC team with a first year HC!

GREAT 2ND HALF (3 POINTS ON O) and DON'T BLAME THE delays! THEY scored 2 2nd half TD's coming right off of delays!
Back to the top

Did anyone else notice how ball state came out of every weather delay and warmed up as a team and huddled and got psyched to play again? 

The owls walked out, went straight to the sidelines and were left to their own to warm up…coaching. 

Butch Davis really wants to get back into coaching Pres Kelly…you won't have be embarrassed and stop attending games like you did last year and will be doing again soon. 
Back to the top

First, we will NOT be bowling this year. Why, because we still suck. Second, I have been around south Florida football a lot. Kids from the city leagues to high school are told when playing defense , run fast and hit hard. It feels to me like these kids are being reigned in. Almost like taking away what made them so dynamic at the lower level. OC 40 said it best. Coaches have it or they don't. The hard part is picking the one that has it. The easy part is realizing quickly when the coach does not. Tip for the next AD, never ,ever give more than three years on a new coaches first contract.
Back to the top

In case my earlier post was toooo long, has anyone else ever had there tickets refused ? I will admit, it actually pi–ed me way off at the time.When I think of FAU  football as a business, all I do is shake my head. I think it is time for leadership change. I just don't know if it is financially possible.
Back to the top

d-owl said

The thing with 2008 – we started out 1 - 5 that season I believe, 1-5! We along with Troy were the odds on favorites to win the Belt and we were playing like garbage through half of the season and then went on a roll. So while we went to and won a bowl, in a certain way that was an underachieving team since we were coming off that magical 2007 Bowl team.
You're right about that; after the 2007 bowl win we started wondering what our ceiling might be.

But to be fair, the first six games of the 2008 season were at #10 Texas (L 52-10), UAB (W 49-34), at #18 Michigan State (L 17-0), at Minnesota (L 37-3), MTSU (L 14-13), Troy (L 30-17)

What I remember there is a bad snap at Texas over Rusty's head and he scrambled to get it, but the ensuing tackle to recover the ball resulted in a shoulder injury that took awhile for Rusty to come back from… he wasn't the same for several games. Michigan State, I believe that was the game where it rained the entire game and nobody could hold onto the ball except MSU's one RB that eventually went to the NFL. Minnesota and Troy wanted revenge for previous losses and Middle Tennessee, well, that game is always close. Actually, Troy usually beat us from what I remember, so it was kind of an anomaly that we beat them in 2007.

Point is, in retrospect, not too surprised we started 1-5, and we truly #foundaway to win 5 of 6 games in the end to catapult us into that bowl. That's what was impressive about that team. It didn't feel like the team was outcoached or underprepared, when they lost it's because they were truly beat (or in the MSU case, because of the rain)
Back to the top

I left after the 2nd to last weather delay and tuned in to ESPN106.3 to catch the rest of the game. When we were up by 3 and we didn't convert on 4th and 2, right before the last delay, I turned off the radio because I already knew what the outcome would be. I wasn't wrong.

If you were in the stadium, you should be please pleased with our Offensive output (at least for the most part).

If you were in the stadium, you should be beyond frustrated with our Defensive output. Our tackling was.. wait… hold on there was barely any of that to speak of.
This guys get the ball on their 25, and 3 plays and 45 seconds later they're on our 40. Whatever defensive packages Roc is sending out are not working.

I blame last night's loss completely on our defense. Our defensive unit was (quoting HRC here) DEPLORABLE!!!! I'm only saying this because I've seen the potential of this defense and they dropped the ball big time last night.
IMHO, our HC and OC were not the problem last night, or DC was. (Coach Roc if you're reading this, whatever new tackling techniques you taught these kids, take it, find the nearest dumpster, throw it in there and never speak of it ever again.)

Shout out to our Special team unit, our Ace unit of the night… Kerryth White is making a name for himself. I like him returning the ball. He runs the ball well.
Offensively, We finally get to see some big plays downfield. We have fast and TALL WR. There should be more of those plays. Buddy did good last night, but I'm actually more shocked than dissapointed that we couldn't score after 3 tries from the 2 yard line at the goal line. I think we should've gone for it on 4th down.

I won't jump on the fire _____ bandwagon until the end of the season. But for now, I'll say that some folk seats are warming up right now. But if we lose to FIU then I'll be passing out pink slips to everyone like Oprah giving away cars. You get a slip, you get a slip, you get a slip!!!! A loss to the kitties is never acceptable, especially when they're 0-4.

As always,

GO OWLS!!!!

One last thing… WHERE THE HELL IS WARREN?! Sit Singleterry and play Warren!!!!
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

d-owl said

The thing with 2008 – we started out 1 - 5 that season I believe, 1-5! We along with Troy were the odds on favorites to win the Belt and we were playing like garbage through half of the season and then went on a roll. So while we went to and won a bowl, in a certain way that was an underachieving team since we were coming off that magical 2007 Bowl team.
You're right about that; after the 2007 bowl win we started wondering what our ceiling might be.

But to be fair, the first six games of the 2008 season were at #10 Texas (L 52-10), UAB (W 49-34), at #18 Michigan State (L 17-0), at Minnesota (L 37-3), MTSU (L 14-13), Troy (L 30-17)

What I remember there is a bad snap at Texas over Rusty's head and he scrambled to get it, but the ensuing tackle to recover the ball resulted in a shoulder injury that took awhile for Rusty to come back from… he wasn't the same for several games. Michigan State, I believe that was the game where it rained the entire game and nobody could hold onto the ball except MSU's one RB that eventually went to the NFL. Minnesota and Troy wanted revenge for previous losses and Middle Tennessee, well, that game is always close. Actually, Troy usually beat us from what I remember, so it was kind of an anomaly that we beat them in 2007.

Point is, in retrospect, not too surprised we started 1-5, and we truly #foundaway to win 5 of 6 games in the end to catapult us into that bowl. That's what was impressive about that team. It didn't feel like the team was outcoached or underprepared, when they lost it's because they were truly beat (or in the MSU case, because of the rain)

Posted On: Sep 25th 2016, 12:21 PM #359830

Good points about 2008 – I think everyone probably overestimated their chances that year: we literally thought there was a chance against a Tx or a MSU on the road (to a degree), assumed we'd beat Minn again and the Troy game was at home, so we figured that was a win. They played really sloppy – remember that Troy game being on ESPN or ESPN2 and it was embarrassingly sloppy. But they beat the teams they should have on the way to Central Michigan (and amazingly got by FIU when they looked dead in the water). There was a ton of momentum after 2 straight bowl games, and we have just fallen flat since. The Brian Wright 6-6 finish was acceptable, but it's time for this program to turn the corner already. This program repeats the same mistake like a broken record. It's tiring and the finish last night was unacceptable.
Back to the top
Control functions: