Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU's Ron Turner relieved of duties effective immediately

Add topic

This just in:

FIU football coach Ron Turner has been relieved of his duties effective immediately, Executive Director of Sports and Entertainment Pete Garcia announced on Sunday.

“I want to thank Coach Turner for his contributions to the FIU football program, most importantly his commitment to academics and community service,” Garcia said. “At this time Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Ron Cooper has been named interim head coach.”

A national search will begin at the appropriate time.

Back to the top

That is unfortunate. Both of these programs are having so much trouble making any consistent progress. Good luck coach Turner.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

That is unfortunate. Both of these programs are having so much trouble making any consistent progress. Good luck coach Turner.
Posted On: Sep 25th 2016, 4:59 PM #359844

I think it shows just how difficult it is to build a Football program for the group of 5 schools.  Look no further than the state of Florida.

We all like to tout how much potential we all have because of all the talent around us.  While all of the FLA schools have had their "moment" or two.  None have had the success of the Big 3 in FLA.

Maybe it is because it is not as easy to build a football program than everyone thinks.  The "marketing" of the Group of 5 is always about the potential and waking the sleeping giant, blah blah blah.  We all use the same message.

I think the reality of the task to build a group of 5 school into a consistently successful program is beginning to show.

It is clear that there are 3 tiers of schools in the state for football. Tier 1: UF, FSU, MIA. Tier 2: UCF, USF. Tier 3: FAU, FIU. Conference affiliation is a factor, which also impacts budget, which then impacts every aspect of program building.

The pecking order is absolutely clear.  We need to change up that dynamic. Another thing is clear: it ain't easy.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Fired coaches....FIU, LSU.
Back to the top

fauowl said

illinoisowl said

Posted On: Sep 25th 2016, 4:59 PM #359844

I think it shows just how difficult it is to build a Football program for the group of 5 schools.  Look no further than the state of Florida.

We all like to tout how much potential we all have because of all the talent around us.  While all of the FLA schools have had their "moment" or two.  None have had the success of the Big 3 in FLA.

Maybe it is because it is not as easy to build a football program than everyone thinks.  The "marketing" of the Group of 5 is always about the potential and waking the sleeping giant, blah blah blah.  We all use the same message.

I think the reality of the task to build a group of 5 school into a consistently successful program is beginning to show.

It is clear that there are 3 tiers of schools in the state for football. Tier 1: UF, FSU, MIA. Tier 2: UCF, USF. Tier 3: FAU, FIU. Conference affiliation is a factor, which also impacts budget, which then impacts every aspect of program building.

The pecking order is absolutely clear.  We need to change up that dynamic. Another thing is clear: it ain't easy.

Go Owls!!

Posted On: Sep 25th 2016, 6:11 PM #359850

FAU and FIU get the scrap leftovers from Florida, S. Florida in particular. The reason WE must recruit more regionally at miminm andd add in 6-10 JUCOSa year. That win=ll make us mpore copmpetitive. Heck, we can't block (OR STOP) Ball St. or even S. Illinois!
Back to the top

The "Butch Davis to FIU" idea is building momentum. Didn't realize that he and Garcia were connected. Would be a huge hire for them and potentially a big problem for us.

Butch Davis Expected To Be Next FIU Coach

Butch Davis is frontrunner to become next FIU football coach, sources tell SN

Guess we'll find out soon if this is just another swirling pool of wishful thinking or these guys got it right...
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

The "Butch Davis to FIU" idea is building momentum. Didn't realize that he and Garcia were connected. Would be a huge hire for them and potentially a big problem for us.

Butch Davis Expected To Be Next FIU Coach

Butch Davis is frontrunner to become next FIU football coach, sources tell SN

Guess we'll find out soon if this is just another swirling pool of wishful thinking or these guys got it right...
Posted On: Nov 6th 2016, 10:03 AM #362153

This would not be good for us…especially since we've won 15% of our games in the last 3 years.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

But would he really much different than Turner?

60's and out of coaching for how long????

Back to the top
Control functions: