Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ FIU - Shula Bowl XV Game Thread - October 1, 2016

Add topic

Silver_Bullet32 said

Rick said

The Owls open as 5 point favorites for this weekend's contest. First time they have been favored this year - SIU had no line.
Posted On: Sep 25th 2016, 5:12 PM #359846

I wonder if they took a peek at the weather forecast…..I mean, if there's a weather delay…..
Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 3:17 AM #359879

:Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:
Back to the top

Notables from Coach Partridge's Monday FIU Presser:

About FIU

"Quarterbacks, let’s talk about them. They are playing two quarterbacks. [Alex] MGough started off the year. Maurice Alexander has also come in. If you look at the explosive tape, McGough throws a nice ball. I couldn’t tell you what decisions come into play with them and I don’t know if that will change with the coaching change that they have down there. Jonnu Smith is as what we expected. He is a great player and continues to be a great player. Alex Gardner has been explosive so they are a spread offense with a ton of potential. On defense, Anthony Wint jumps out and Deonte Wilson leads a group of athletic players. They have a system that they believe in on special teams. They play hard and they have a really good punt returner."

Tarrick Thomas Update

"Unfortunately, he is going to be out for the season."

On Buddy Howell's Short Gains at times

"I would be willing to bet that if you took Adrian Peterson’s tape you would see some one- and two-yard gains. That is part of football. So, we are looking at the mosaic of Buddy. Buddy is having a heck of a year. I’m proud of a lot of things Buddy is doing right now. Buddy is a polarizing leader. He is having a tremendous impact on our kids’ effort. He is fighting to help the group become more consistent. We are a better team with Buddy Howell."

Defensive Line Performance against Ball State

"Josh [Kendall] is one of the guys that stood out on film. Shalom [Ogbonda] had what I thought was one of his best days of his career. Josh Kendall, who is young in his career, was a bright spot for sure. We are excited about Josh. Josh will contend for a lot more playing time this week.

[Ogbanda] played the hardest I have seen him play. I’m proud of him cause he got challenged a couple of weeks ago in his preparation and in his approach. He was doing some very good things. Again, he was very inconsistent. He took a huge step towards being a consistent player on Saturday. We need to keep seeing that out of him. His preparation showed on Saturday. That is a great example for us to use."

On Kerrith Whyte

"He is now starting to do what we have seen on the practice field which is great. He is explosive. He is someone that we will continue to get touches to.
"

On Jay Warren

"He is healthy. He is fighting. He is a great teammate and I love Jay. I’m glad he is with us. Right now the touches are going with who we want to get the touches to."

Back to the top

OwlsleyTheOwl said

FIU will win if our coaches repeat the Ball State performance:

(1)  If we get the ball in first and goal at the 4 yard line….run three times behind a weak offensive line.
(2)  Make halftime adjustments and end up scoring only 3 points in the second half.

I think our OC may be in over his head.
Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 2:37 PM #359905

Just to be clear, if we cant run for 4 yards on 4 straight plays vs Ball State we dont deserve to win.  We dont deserve to go to a bowl.  I deserve another drink.

This game is fought and won in the trenches.  If we cant line up and run the ball in a goal line situation, we dont have the attitude/players to win.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

OwlsleyTheOwl said

FIU will win if our coaches repeat the Ball State performance:

(1)  If we get the ball in first and goal at the 4 yard line….run three times behind a weak offensive line.
(2)  Make halftime adjustments and end up scoring only 3 points in the second half.

I think our OC may be in over his head.
Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 2:37 PM #359905

Just to be clear, if we cant run for 4 yards on 4 straight plays vs Ball State we dont deserve to win.  We dont deserve to go to a bowl.  I deserve another drink.

This game is fought and won in the trenches.  If we cant line up and run the ball in a goal line situation, we dont have the attitude/players to win.  
Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 9:57 PM #359922

100% agreed, Ball St. wanted that game much more than we did IMHO!
Back to the top

Finally a Jay update… but I still don't understand why Singletarry is getting touches and Jay isn't…
Back to the top

Owls are as high as -7.5 favs now…that's saying a lot about the state of the FIU program.
Back to the top

What we've learned over the years is that despite the record of either team, this will be a competitive game.

And we also don't know what the interim HC will do. He might turn out to be a more effective coach than Turner. Then again, he only has a few days to get the gears moving so we probably won't see too much change by this game.
Back to the top

Notables from Panther Interim Head Coach Ron Cooper:

On Florida Atlantic

"They’re a good football team. Defensively, they’re going to get up in the receivers face and play press, and play quarters press, and one-hot press. They’re going to bring some pressure. They’re aggressive up front at linebacker. So, we’re going to have to run it in passage. We can’t be one dimensional; we won’t, we haven’t been. On offense, they are very multiple. They spread the field, they’ll bring a ‘Y,’ an ‘N,’ he’ll be the second-back in the backfield. They’re going to run, they’re going to throw. They are multiple. We just have to be ready to play. Again, it’s like I told the team, it’s really not about what they’re doing, we’re concerned about what we have to do. If we play, and play our rules, everything else will work out."

On Transition to Interim Head Coach

"You know, it went well. As I said to the guys earlier, the most important thing right now is our players. We’ve got one-hundred players; I want them to know that some things change, but at the same time it’s about winning. We’re here to get better every day. Keep doing what we’ve been doing off the field. The guys have done a great job academically and in the community. We have to find a way to win some games and have fun. So it’s about the players. I want the players to know that we’re going to have some fun, but at the same time we know what we have to do."
Back to the top

Back to the top

I heard McGoughooghoo (sp -5) probably isn't starting.
Back to the top
Control functions: