Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FULL SHOW: FAU Sports Talk with Coach Partridge and Ken LaVicka 10/12/16

ERROR: A link was posted here (flash) but it appears to be a broken link.

The "breakthrough" talk emerges again at the 3:10 mark.

Worth noting, Ken prompts for example programs of such taking place, which Coach Partridge responds with Colorado, and Iowa State.

Colorado was 4-8, 2-10, 4-9 the last three seasons and is now 4-2 in 2016.

Iowa State went 3-9, 2-10, and 3-9 from 2012 - 2015 and is now 1-5 so far in 2016 so I have no idea why they were brought up.
Back to the top

Colorado hasn't beat a team with winning record this year and lost to a first year head coach to a pretty underwhelming USC team.
They are not what I would call a ''breakthrough'', but hey he is grasping at straws to make it sound like he has handle on this program.  

I just feel like they are insulating our intelligence as fans like we are just supposed to go ''hey this is normal because it was what happened at CU"  While ignoring all the coaches who turn it around in year one and two.

In Charlie's 1st home game we beat a bad Tulsa team by almost 30 and now we are losing to UNCC and he sells it a close.

Just come out and say "we are not close to where we need to be and we have to flip this thing around"
Back to the top

Rick said

The "breakthrough" talk emerges again at the 3:10 mark.

Worth noting, Ken prompts for example programs of such taking place, which Coach Partridge responds with Colorado, and Iowa State.

Colorado was 4-8, 2-10, 4-9 the last three seasons and is now 4-2 in 2016.

Iowa State went 3-9, 2-10, and 3-9 from 2012 - 2015 and is now 1-5 so far in 2016 so I have no idea why they were brought up.

Posted On: Oct 14th 2016, 11:49 AM #361087

haha!  It's really comical.  We are doing some great things, steering this ship like the titanic.  We're taking off like the space shuttle "challanger" into space!!!!

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Just come out and say "we are not close to where we need to be and we have to flip this thing around"
Posted On: Oct 14th 2016, 12:25 PM #361089

I feel like we've been hearing "we're not where we need to be" since 2009. We're perpetually out of place, unprepared, banged-up, in transition, outcoached, whatever.

So the question is why. Injuries are inevitable, not a whole lot you can do about that. But the rest?

Our finances are not great but they're not horrible either (it's not like we're paying Partridge $125k). Our facilities are not BCS level but they're still good (stadium makes up for the Oxley) and the Athletic Center will change the "Oxley problem". Our location is perfect for recruiting good players. Our school has a steadily-increasing academic reputation.

So why do we continually have these problems?

I honestly don't understand it. I don't think anybody does. We're all grasping at straws here. We should be a better program than we are. We should at least be a middle-of-the-pack team in our conference. We shouldn't be one of the Bottom 10 in the nation, given the above resources and benefits.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

owlcountry40 said

Posted On: Oct 14th 2016, 12:25 PM #361089

I feel like we've been hearing "we're not where we need to be" since 2009. We're perpetually out of place, unprepared, banged-up, in transition, outcoached, whatever.

So the question is why. Injuries are inevitable, not a whole lot you can do about that. But the rest?

Our finances are not great but they're not horrible either (it's not like we're paying Partridge $125k). Our facilities are not BCS level but they're still good (stadium makes up for the Oxley) and the Athletic Center will change the "Oxley problem". Our location is perfect for recruiting good players. Our school has a steadily-increasing academic reputation.

So why do we continually have these problems?

I honestly don't understand it. I don't think anybody does. We're all grasping at straws here. We should be a better program than we are. We should at least be a middle-of-the-pack team in our conference. We shouldn't be one of the Bottom 10 in the nation, given the above resources and benefits.
Posted On: Oct 14th 2016, 1:15 PM #361094

We simply need a good coach…. finding the right guy is obviously harder than it looks.
Back to the top

walty12 said

haha!  It's really comical.

Posted On: Oct 14th 2016, 12:51 PM #361092

Walty I was going to let this slide as not to pour salt in an open wound, but queue to 20:00 and you will learn that all the fan talk and discontent on social media is just "noise" They "have a plan and are moving forward and that is all that matters". That's why you and others were blocked on twitter. Simply too much noise…

"Everyone wants whatever they want now - microwave it for me now - give it to me now." "We are very close to wins, we're one possession, no one wants to hear that. When you first start you had four or five years to build a program, now it is two or three."

Here is my BIG issue(s) with the above statement:

We've been one possession for the last three years.

Where in the contract he signed does it say that it is going to take a four-year plan to produce a winning record? If winning wasn't expected up front then you would have no penalty for leaving early built in.

If taking that stance on performance so far is noise, then let it be noise. To me, it is really perplexing that we will have spent over $1.5M on a coach now and are likely to end up with another 3-9 mark in their third year.

Back to the top

Rick said

walty12 said

haha!  It's really comical.

Posted On: Oct 14th 2016, 12:51 PM #361092

Where in the contract he signed does it say that it is going to take a four-year plan to produce a winning record?

Posted On: Oct 14th 2016, 1:46 PM #361097

When you give a 5 year contract and the buyout is more than our program can afford to pay to get rid of a coach it basically saying it will take 4 to 5 years.  I don't think it is acceptable, but that is the reality.  Charlie's strength is he is likable and people want to believe what he has to say and therefore are pretty ticked at the lack of production.  If we get clobbered tomorrow and no changes are made on staff then you know we are riding it out.
Back to the top

OC Irritant said

When you give a 5 year contract and the buyout is more than our program can afford to pay to get rid of a coach it basically saying it will take 4 to 5 years.  I don't think it is acceptable, but that is the reality
Posted On: Oct 14th 2016, 2:18 PM #361100

My point was that if he leaves after year one he has to pay us $1M.

Why put that in there if you are expecting to suck balls the first year?

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top

And with the number of quick turnarounds WE have lost to, it can be and id being done all the time! 7-23 guys = great job Charlie, we are REALLY CLOSE NOW! (I guess in his mind).
Back to the top

By the way, IF we win Sat. vs. Marshall and IF Marshall lets Doc go, we would be STUPID to not fire Charlie and jump on DOC ON THE SPOT! Coaches AND recruits better than Charlie, agreed!
Back to the top
Control functions: