Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

From the university press "Football: the case for firing head coach Charlie Partridge"

OC, your point on"how the kids grew up in Florida" is right on. I know a coach that told his top D player last season during a time out , "I don't care how you do it, don't let them get a first down". That is how some of these guys were coached. Turn them lose and let them fly around. Yes, there needs to be some order and scheme. But I 100% agree that at times we are hand cuffing our guys. Maybe I am off base. But I don't think so.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

OC, your point on"how the kids grew up in Florida" is right on. I know a coach that told his top D player last season during a time out , "I don't care how you do it, don't let them get a first down". That is how some of these guys were coached. Turn them lose and let them fly around. Yes, there needs to be some order and scheme. But I 100% agree that at times we are hand cuffing our guys. Maybe I am off base. But I don't think so.

Posted On: Oct 21st 2016, 4:46 PM #361503

There are more risks with that type of play, but when our have great Florida athletes it works.

Last week Marshall the Slot WR ran that out maybe 100 times.
Our safety was playing 10 yards back and Marshall was just taking 6 yards at a time.
Now the idea there is to keep the guy in front of us and make the QB and WR connect on that pass multiple times and not give up major plays.
Roc does Blitz more than most college coaches I see, but we are not great at blitzing at all.
Back to the top

I read both articles in favor and against keeping Coach P.

My conclusion is the players like him and respect him. They're the ones with him everyday and the ones doing all the dirty work. I say let him finish out his contract. Assuming the program is at rock bottom, we can only go up from here.

I understand there are ramifications to that decision. But I guess we'll deal with them when his contract is up.
Back to the top

@Island Owl… my guess is that is what will happen. If I were the HAIC , it would be different. But with the current AD and financial status, he remains. One stat that bothered me most was our attendance ranking. Very very bad. Wish it was different.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

I read both articles in favor and against keeping Coach P.

My conclusion is the players like him and respect him. They're the ones with him everyday and the ones doing all the dirty work. I say let him finish out his contract. Assuming the program is at rock bottom, we can only go up from here.

I understand there are ramifications to that decision. But I guess we'll deal with them when his contract is up.

Posted On: Oct 21st 2016, 5:29 PM #361506

You can keep thinking that, but if he keeps loosing he will be gone.
Kelly can honestly feel right that he will keep Charlie till the end, but when losses mount and mount people tend to change their mind because they can only take so much.
For example Les Miles last year he won a late season game and was carried off the field  everyone felt good and the players loved him and why would ou fire him after he has done.
Well look how that changed after a slow start.
Players loving the coach doesn't mean anything I mean look how players are treated by the NCAA so they sure won't care when their felling get hurt when a coach is fired because he couldn't win games.
Back to the top

In the meantime W. Michigan is still undefeated and MT beat an SEC team.
Back to the top

MTSU looks impressive. WMU, not so mush today. But they are still undefeated.
Back to the top

Here is a quote from a Yahoo Sports article regarding WKU;

"Western Kentucky: One win from bowl eligibility for a sixth straight season, the Hilltoppers travel to Florida Atlantic on Saturday."

WKU bowl eligible for a sixth straight year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we sit at 1-6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And have been to how many Bowls in that same span - ZERO!

Who else does did mere fact p__s off????????????????

Makes a VERY STRONG POINT for the fire side, especially with all of our "South Florida recruiting advantage" AND Charlie being such a "great recruiter" B.S.!
Back to the top

There's certainly that feeling like we should be ahead of programs like WKU, Charlotte, ODU… but with regard to WKU specifically, I had a feeling like they wouldn't take long to rise up.

Sixth straight I did not expect…
Back to the top

Their win over us in the stadium debut was only their 2nd FBS win EVER! Not really does not seem that long ago, OR that we have been this bad since! Total polar opposites sadly and SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED BY OUR UNIVERSITY!

As much as I want us to win I have to admit that I would not be surprised by a BLOW OUT LOSS and IF SO, THAT HAD BETTER START THE CHANGES NEEDED! The last thing we need is yet another "close loss" and being "so close to our breakthrough". With a bye and an extra week to prepare, this had BETTER BE CHARLIE'S FINAL PASS/FAIL EXAM!

Back to the top
Control functions: