Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NOTABLES: Coach Partridge's Western Kentucky Presser 10/24/16

NOTABLES: Coach Partridge's Western Kentucky Presser 10/24/16

Opening statement on WKU

"What jumps right out to you is special teams. They are outstanding on special teams; both their coverage unit and their return units. They have popped a couple of touchdowns on punt returns, actually had a touchdown and a long return on kickoff return and are very dangerous. On offense, and this jumps out to you, in their starters they have one redshirt sophomore, so a third-year sophomore and 10 juniors or seniors in their starting group. That says a lot to the success that they are having. Tremendous O-line, maybe the best we have seen all season, and I mean that regardless of all opponents. It starts with #76 Forrest Lamp, left tackle. [He] is an outstanding player. We have been facing him the last couple of years. He is a high-rated draft pick at this point for a reason. He is a very good football player. Quarterback Mike White, I know Mike. U [University] School graduate, went to South Florida, since transferred here [WKU]. Mike is playing very well. Running back #20 Anthony Wales, who I think has over 700 (739) yards if I remember the stats right, is running it very well. They have three true threats at the wide receiver position, #2 [Taywan] Taylor, #1 [Nacarius] Fant and #15 [Nicholas] Norris, who is from down in this area, down in Dade County. On defense, again you look at their starting lineup: two redshirt sophomores, or two third-year sophomores and nine juniors and seniors. Again, it speaks to where their defense has come over the last couple of years. D tackle Chris Johnson, #3, jumps off the film, has a bunch of TFLs. Linebacker Keith Brown with 81 tackles, I think is a heck of a football player and their entire secondary [is] athletic and aggressive. This week is really about us continuing to play with passion, play for each other and [to] keep fighting to get better for each other and to prepare for the challenges that Western Kentucky presents."

On the WKU attack this year versus last year

"It is a little less [rhythm oriented] than it was last year. You see similar pass concepts but they are willing to let him [Mike White] develop a little more. Last year, with Doughty it was one, two, three bang. A lot of quick hit the top of the drop and go. It is a little bit different this year where they will let some of those routes develop. Reality is, this is a physical team with an O-line that they have confidence in, and I can see why. They are going to work to establish the run for sure."

Did you put more stuff in during the bye week?

"It is not like we changed the playbook. We will do a couple of new things, focused on some things that have been successful for us, take a look at things that haven’t worked in all three phases and just make adjustments based on what we have seen in our self-scouts."  

On what has been hindering the run defense

"The growth of six first and/or second year players on defense…I don’t want to create excuses, but I’m going to tell the truth. You lose four guys who were in NFL camps. That bridge is now gone and they are still developing into only their second year. The [Trevon] Coleys, the [Brandin] Bryants, the [Sharrod] Neasmans and [Cre’von] LeBlanc. That is four pretty good players. That bridge is gone. The things on tape that you guys didn’t see, that we saw last year. So, their progress really hasn’t stopped. Now there are some things you are seeing that weren’t noticed last year because they were covered up."

On Driskel's continued development

"His decision-making has been pretty good. There have been a couple of plays that you would want him to take back. He has shown his athleticism not only to extend plays but if you think about the touchdown run where he pulls his own read. So, that is good to see. That adds another element for defenses to have to deal with. Some inaccuracies, pin-point type throws that could be a little more leading the receiver. A little higher here. There are some plays that drift down on him. That is probably the most consistent thing you would want to see. There are a couple points right there."

On what he saw in Singletary when recruiting him

"I saw a lot of things that are showing up now at the next level - great balance, great vision. He runs zone and he can see spaces at the press point and all the way back, which is fun. For someone his age, he can continue to press, even though he probably knows or feels that he is probably going to end up cutting it back, maybe two or three lanes back behind. He is hard to tackle, has a great spin move. Can turn what looks like a straight-on physical tackle, from the defender’s standpoint, into an arm tackle and then maybe something that doesn’t make a highlight film but what looks like a zero gain becomes a four, five or six-yard gain because it becomes an arm tackle. All those things are showing up, which is exciting, especially when you think about what he is going to be moving forward in the future. "
Back to the top

"blah blah blah one mission at a time"

"blah blah blah the other missions have gone exactly as planned"

"the losses were on purpose to create 'learning experiences' for our players"

"blah blah blah I know how to coach!"
Back to the top

The worst is the part where talks about losing players to the NFL and its a major part of the teams struggles this year.
1st We were bad on D last year with being 72nd in scoring and 80th in total D.

Also aren't you the one that was supposed to recruit better talent here?

It's year three and he's making year one excuses.  
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

The worst is the part where talks about losing players to the NFL and its a major part of the teams struggles this year.
1st We were bad on D last year with being 72nd in scoring and 80th in total D.

Also aren't you the one that was supposed to recruit better talent here?

It's year three and he's making year one excuses.  
Posted On: Oct 25th 2016, 9:08 AM #361564

EXACTLY!

And this is why you DON'T count on hs freshman to fill holes left by NFL caliber players! Just stupid IMHO. In 21st century football, ALL DECENT PROGRAMs RECRUIT AT LEAST SOME JUCOS TO HELP FILL HOLES AND/OR GIVE IMMEDIATE DEPTH!

Oh, and I also don;t think he really recruits all that well. 7th in CUSA last year, average at best. WAY BETTER THAN LAST but still not outstanding, especially in the "football recruiting hotbed" that is S. Florida.

GET 'ER DONE THIS WEEK COACH! Ooops, I think I said that last week. And the week before….And the week before…….And the week before………And the week before……..And the week before. Six, there ya go!
Back to the top

"Oh, and I also don;t think he really recruits all that well. 7th in CUSA last year, average at best. WAY BETTER THAN LAST but still not outstanding, especially in the "football recruiting hotbed" that is S. Florida."

Not defending Charlie, but a large contributer to our recruiting ranking last year was due to the number of kids we signed.  It was a small class and that is a big part of the "rankings".

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

True but we did stretch it up to 19 I believe, Not big but not tiny either
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

True but we did stretch it up to 19 I believe, Not big but not tiny either
Posted On: Oct 25th 2016, 4:10 PM #361579

Yea I think that's right.  But its hard to beat out teams that signed 25-28 the way the rankings are setup.

I can straight faced say our recruiting has been better under Charlie.  But sports are a results driven business and he isn't driving them.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Recruiting has been better under Charlie on those websites no doubt and I'm hopeful the next coach will really be able to maximize those players.
Back to the top

To be fair, it was an absolute surprise that Coley, Bryant, Leblanc and Neasman left for the NFL, who really saw those seniors without any eligibility left leaving the program???
Back to the top

When is the prediction blog starting. With our O line and our D, we will lose by 28. That is not sarcasm.
Back to the top
Control functions: