Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIRE CHARLIE!!!

I have always said, all good teams start with good lines. They are not the exciting guys on the HS team, but they can make or break a team.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

voss749 said

owlcountry40 said

North Texas went 1-11 last year with 66-7 loss to Portland State and now are 4-3 with first year head coach…..
The it take time to turn a team around is such s***.

Posted On: Oct 24th 2016, 11:25 AM #361551

It depends on whether the problems are JUST bad coaching or lots of holes to fill and retraining to do.
Posted On: Oct 25th 2016, 8:56 AM #361562

NT outscored 182-495 last year! Per game that is 15-41! And their ONLY Power5 game was vs. Iowa.

I swear Coaching is SO overrated, way too many Coaches think football IS rocket science and they are a genius. So they OVER COACH and make their '"system" WAY TOO COMPLICATED.

Sounds like US IMHO!
Posted On: Oct 25th 2016, 3:51 PM #361573

Man you have no idea what you are talking about.
Coaching is underrated! There is a reason why one coach goes 1-11 with a team and another goes 4-3 with pretty much the same players.
Schemes can be insanely complicated, trying to figure out how to practice and what to spend your time on I near impossible.

Back to the top

In the time the Charlie has been our coach, there have been about a dozen games that were considered 50-50 toss up games. In those games we lost 80% of the time. Food for thought. 
Back to the top

Not only would it cost $1M to fire Charlie, we might need to approach that for the next one.

BG Daily News reports that WKU HC Brohm is near the top of the conference at $808,720 (the top spot goes to "David Baliff, Rice – $903,556").

Eight of the 13 total coaches are paid higher than the $591,250 Charlie currently makes.

Two of them make in the 600s, one in 700s, four in 800s, one in 900s.

Point I'm getting at is that this league is starting to knock on the door of the $1M head coach and we may need to figure out how we're going to stay competitive if we can't match that.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

…the $591,250 Charlie currently makes.
Posted On: Oct 27th 2016, 1:27 PM #361615

Not even…$525K flat as of Sept 1st:

Back to the top

"one coach goes 1-11 with a team and another goes 4-3 with pretty much the same players."

What? Nice math!

"Schemes can be insanely complicated, trying to figure out how to practice and what to spend your time on I near impossible."

EXACTLY! SCHEMES CAN BE EXTREMELY COMPLICATED. WAY TOO COMPLICATED MANY TIMES.

But why do they need to be. Off a play, the qb has one, two reads tops to determine what to do with the ball. the less reads the better. In a higher levl of football there is NOT TIME for multiple (more than two ) reads. Good O's are not really complicated, they runs several plays out of the same formation and based on what is seen at the line, the qb either runs the play or changes the play to a better option.

if you complicate FOOTBALL to the level of rocket science than OUR LEVEL of college players will fail, guaranteed IMHO!

Pelini tried to complicate it and we lost. Wright and staff simplified it and we won. Now Partidge has complicated it and………..1-6 with 4 losses in a row to teams we had NO BUSINESS LOSING TO!
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Not only would it cost $1M to fire Charlie, we might need to approach that for the next one.

BG Daily News reports that WKU HC Brohm is near the top of the conference at $808,720 (the top spot goes to "David Baliff, Rice – $903,556").

Eight of the 13 total coaches are paid higher than the $591,250 Charlie currently makes.

Two of them make in the 600s, one in 700s, four in 800s, one in 900s.

Point I'm getting at is that this league is starting to knock on the door of the $1M head coach and we may need to figure out how we're going to stay competitive if we can't match that.
Posted On: Oct 27th 2016, 1:27 PM #361615

So this is saying we are getting what we are paying for! Actually, not even IMHO!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

"one coach goes 1-11 with a team and another goes 4-3 with pretty much the same players."

What? Nice math!

"Schemes can be insanely complicated, trying to figure out how to practice and what to spend your time on I near impossible."

EXACTLY! SCHEMES CAN BE EXTREMELY COMPLICATED. WAY TOO COMPLICATED MANY TIMES.

But why do they need to be. Off a play, the qb has one, two reads tops to determine what to do with the ball. the less reads the better. In a higher levl of football there is NOT TIME for multiple (more than two ) reads. Good O's are not really complicated, they runs several plays out of the same formation and based on what is seen at the line, the qb either runs the play or changes the play to a better option.

if you complicate FOOTBALL to the level of rocket science than OUR LEVEL of college players will fail, guaranteed IMHO!

Pelini tried to complicate it and we lost. Wright and staff simplified it and we won. Now Partidge has complicated it and………..1-6 with 4 losses in a row to teams we had NO BUSINESS LOSING TO!
Posted On: Oct 27th 2016, 3:02 PM #361622
Ok you don't seem to know much at all about the X'S AND O'S of football.

You make it sound so simple "YEA JUST MAKE THINGS SIMPLE AND THATS IT"
Read this
Nick Saban's defense 'more complicated' than some NFL teams' systems, Mark Barron says | AL.com

5 star recruits are no smarter then ours and it doesn't matter how much money you have you can't make players learn faster.

You have no idea what type of D or how complicated the scheme is none and don't pretend to know.
Because no one knows, there is some basic things that someone who really knows football can pick up but unless you are watching hours of film you are just ranting on this forum.

Listen I want Charlie gone, but I am not going to sit here and pretend I know why exactly why we are not winning.

Coaching in college is 75 percent of what makes a team good or not because the kids are so young and impressionable.

Back to the top

"Coaching in college is 75 percent of what makes a team good or not because the kids are so young and impressionable."

Well I do agree with you on this point. I know I have seen many teams (and eventually the Coach) go down as the Coaches (HC, OC, DC) is so in love with his "system" but either complicates the game too much (and yes I beieive a 5* does have a better capacity to learn a mor e difficult systems - his greater athletic ability makes up for plenty that a 2 or 3* cannot), can't teach hios system, his system does not fit the talent he has or his system simply does not work. OR, his players don't really believe in his system as it is so foreign to what they have done to get them into Collegiate football.

Where WE fit in there may actually be a bit of several factors.

By the way, stop putting me down as inferior to you in football knowledgeor being stupid and not "knowing" or "understanding" the game. I don't insult you!

I played the game for 10+ years and have watched and studied it for 55 or so, THOUSANDS OF GAMES. I watch what SUCCESSFUL TEAMS AND COACHES DO AT OUR LEVEL AND WE ARE NOT DOING WHAT THE GOOD PROGRAMS DO OBVIOUSLY. We don't score near enough on O and are way to soft on D - mentally, physically and in terms of strategy.

Again, when is the last time WE came up with a 4th qtr. drive to score to win or a D hold or turnover to prevent a loss (ACTUALLY UTSA last year in all honesty). On O, we can't even get into FG range for a game winning ATTEMPT or to force an OT! On D, we can't hold a lead.

Go Owls, get it going THIS WEEK VS. WKU!

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

By the way, stop putting me down as inferior to you in football knowledge or being stupid and not "knowing" or "understanding" the game. I don't insult you!
Posted On: Oct 27th 2016, 6:33 PM #361629

Well done, I almost jumped in twice but wanted to see where it would lead.

Now that the offense has been publicly noted, one more instance towards anyone will result in permanent removal from the site for the member.

Done, has happened far too many times, and it is simply time to move on.

Back to the top
Control functions: