Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Partridge's Parting Tweet Message to FAU Fans, Friends, Coworkers, and Players

Waited a while to say this to allow proper time for the true meaning of the post to transpire.

But, I do find it ironic that the students were not mentioned in his tweet…after all, they pay the bills almost exclusively, and are the sole reason the University even exists.

Then again, should anyone be surprised?

Not saying Partridge didn't appreciate them, because I am certain he did, but the "tax and spend" form of budgetary provision is always an exercise in take money from others and then do your own thing with little to no accountability until it hurts. Then when public outcry becomes enough of a leverage mark to change course before jeopardizing it, change is experienced.

Someone (sorry can't recall who) raised the question about students possibly organizing and voting down the athletics fee (success realization implied). I have always been a proponent of them steering the bus on what they want to spend money on. Unfortunately, the system is rigged against that. As fauowl (I believe) commented on the matter, if you don't want to pay the fee then you have the choice to enroll somewhere that doesn't have a major program that needs to be funded regardless of the outcome.

Anyways, just my…

Back to the top

I agree that students should have more control than they currently do though students have to realize that their athletic fees cover all sports, not just football, so you downgrade it and the other sports suffer too.

The only way around that is to keep the other sports at their current levels and decrease the appropriation to football, but come on - that kind of control over the Athletics budget would never happen. Or cut out the program altogether which went over like gangbusters at UAB.

So they've got us and they know it. That said, I do think if the BOT increased the fee by something significant, like $10+/credit hour, there would be some very unhappy students and they might be able to successfully reverse the last increase. They can fight each small increase. We're already at… $17.27 an hour, I think. We don't want to be the university with the highest fees in the state so that's something to think about.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I agree that students should have more control than they currently do though students have to realize that their athletic fees cover all sports, not just football, so you downgrade it and the other sports suffer too.

The only way around that is to keep the other sports at their current levels and decrease the appropriation to football, but come on - that kind of control over the Athletics budget would never happen. Or cut out the program altogether which went over like gangbusters at UAB.

So they've got us and they know it. That said, I do think if the BOT increased the fee by something significant, like $10+/credit hour, there would be some very unhappy students and they might be able to successfully reverse the last increase. They can fight each small increase. We're already at… $17.27 an hour, I think. We don't want to be the university with the highest fees in the state so that's something to think about.

Posted On: Nov 28th 2016, 10:55 PM #363233

An in depth article that speaks to the issue:

Why students foot the bill for college sports, and how some are fighting back - The Washington Post

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: