Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

fauowl said

fauowls44 said

My bet is that there was something to that Rutgers report but one of the sides didn't want it public yet.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2016, 5:48 PM #363380
Could be something to it. Could be like a lot of the media rumors. Because the HC and Charlie are friends, went to the same college (Drake) and both were GAs together at times in their career. Both have been at Wisconsin and Arkansas with Bielema, etc. Lot's of reasons for people to speculate, and could end up being true.

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2016, 5:57 PM #363381

Perhaps, but what motivation would someone have for making that up?  Nobody would care whether it is true or not.  Just my opinion, but it doesn't seem like something worth making up. 
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

OwlFamily said

I just had a HORRIFIC thought.

What if Butch Davis snapped up Charlie for his staff as a Defensive guy?
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2016, 4:13 PM #363375

Did you see our defensive?
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2016, 6:09 PM #363383

I think he was referring to the loss of recruits to them…we have many more three stars than they do.
Back to the top

What about Al Golden? He did a great job at Temple….had a winning record at UM, but they wanted to make room for Richt….he was only making 2.5 mill as HC at UM so he's not going to have a ridiculous price tag…..he's in NFL rehabilitation hell as TE coach for the Detroit Lions….he's never coached in the NFL and might want to come back to the college game…..he's young….he's loyal (cause he could have bailed on the Canes during the looming sanctions)…

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

What about Al Golden?
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2016, 2:07 PM #363406

No way. He and Cristobal are out because they wear ties with rolled up shirt sleeves on the sideline. Not a good look. We cannot have that.  If you are going to wear a tie on the sideline, you better be doing the full-blown Schnellenberger. #Dapper
Back to the top

How bout Randy Shannon?
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

What about Al Golden? He did a great job at Temple….had a winning record at UM, but they wanted to make room for Richt….he was only making 2.5 mill as HC at UM so he's not going to have a ridiculous price tag…..he's in NFL rehabilitation hell as TE coach for the Detroit Lions….he's never coached in the NFL and might want to come back to the college game…..he's young….he's loyal (cause he could have bailed on the Canes during the looming sanctions)…
If we hired Al Golden I would turn in my diploma.
He was awful at recruiting especially down here. 
Randy Shannon is another guy isn't cut out to be a head coach.
Back to the top

I'd really prefer no former Miami guys.

I know we've talked about somebody with head coaching experience… but that means:

A) We gamble on a head coach from a successful FCS program (can he cut it here in the FBS? Trickett and Roc aren't). I don't want to do that.

or

B) Go sideways and grab someone from a comparable program, in which case our incentives would have to be a considerable boost

or

C) We grab a guy on the way down/in rehab, which means guys who got fired from bigger programs with better players and more resources, so you hope that even though they couldn't win there they could somehow win here with 3 star guys and fewer resources… that they're going to put their whole heart into it rather than a "well it's better than nothing, just padding my retirement until they fire me" attitude. Are they going to change their style? If they lost at Michigan or Miami enough to get fired, are they suddenly going to come here and start winning bowl games and championships? Why?
Back to the top

fauowl said

Silver_Bullet32 said

What about Al Golden?

No way. He and Cristobal are out because they wear ties with rolled up shirt sleeves on the sideline. Not a good look. We cannot have that.  If you are going to wear a tie on the sideline, you better be doing the full-blown Schnellenberger. #Dapper
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2016, 2:51 PM #363407

First make sense comment on this entire thread.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Heading coaching experience -Kerwin Bell

Can recruit Florida-Kerwin Bell 

Players coach -Kerwin Bell 

Knows how to build a program-Kerwin Bell 

Explosive/fun offense-Kerwin Bell 
Back to the top

TheOwl93 said

Heading coaching experience -Kerwin Bell

Can recruit Florida-Kerwin Bell 

Players coach -Kerwin Bell 

Knows how to build a program-Kerwin Bell 

Explosive/fun offense-Kerwin Bell 
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2016, 8:59 PM #363427

He has never coached at the FBS level. It is just way to big of a jump. 

Just my opinion 
Back to the top
Control functions: