Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

DeltAlumnus said

TheOwl93 said

Heading coaching experience -Kerwin Bell

Can recruit Florida-Kerwin Bell 

Players coach -Kerwin Bell 

Knows how to build a program-Kerwin Bell 

Explosive/fun offense-Kerwin Bell 
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2016, 8:59 PM #363427

He has never coached at the FBS level. It is just way to big of a jump. 

Just my opinion 
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2016, 9:37 PM #363432

Coaching at the FBS level is no guaruntee both Pelini and Partridge had P5 experience
and it didnt do them a lot of good.

I think id rather take a chance with an FCS coach with deep head coaching experience
than someone whos never put all the pieces together.

Back to the top

TheOwl93 said

If Kerwin bell found the "right situation" at FAU he would stay for a good long while.

Hes the kind of coach that would want to create his own legacy here.
Back to the top

voss749 said

TheOwl93 said

If Kerwin bell found the "right situation" at FAU he would stay for a good long while.

Hes the kind of coach that would want to create his own legacy here.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2016, 9:56 PM #363434

But the experience was at a non-scholarship FCS conference and now a division II school. Not like hiring from a power program in the FCS. 

Back to the top

Now that the conf championship games are complete, hopefully we'll have some ramp up in activity.

Leavitt, Cristobal and Shannon are all done for a while now (if they're the guys). It's a good time to start dissecting Chun and Kelly's movements around the country 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

TheOwl93 said

He has never coached at the FBS level. It is just way to big of a jump. 

Just my opinion 
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2016, 9:37 PM #363432

I'm with Delt.

There is no guarantee with any hire, but we need to move past being the training ground.  

If we are committed to being a top FBS program then now is a good time to take that next step.  But I am not the guy donating millions of dollars so whatever Dr. Kelly decides, I will support.  I have a lot of faith in his desire to build this thing.
Back to the top

Too bad Clemson is still in the playoffs (sorry Dr. Kelly - just me being selfish FOR FAU! :Big-Grin: )!
Back to the top

fauowl said

I'm with Delt.

There is no guarantee with any hire, but we need to move past being the training ground.  

If we are committed to being a top FBS program then now is a good time to take that next step.

I agree.

This is not a good fit for FAU at this point.
Back to the top

Tommy Tuberville is resigning at Cincinnati today.  I wonder if he'd be interested in this job.  He's obviously got a ton of experience and he did coach at Miami, although that was in the 90s.  Probably a long shot, but I'd look into it.
Back to the top

Next head coach

Well now the search begins and we need a new coach to get us on the right track. I think Charlie was a good coach on certain aspects.  He cleaned up the program and built the foundation Pelini never could've.  The next coach has a lot set up and can come into wins next season.  I think the Luke Fickell hiring will translate to the same if not worse.  He had Ohio st. Talent and was mediocre with endless facilities and money.  He would not do well here. Randy Shannon and Al Golden are a no. They are coaches that were fired for the same thing we fired Charlie for and it's inconsistency. Mario Cristobal could recruit but I believe that's about it.  He is rough on the edges and needs more polishing.  The only candidate I can think of is Jim Leavitt.  I read the article about what happened to the player he struck. It also details what the player had to go through. Who knows if he will listen to us but he has a tarnished image.  It would take lots  of wins, blowouts, and a New Years six bowl to make people forget what he did.  He has anger issues and it can be a bad mark on our program.  I know he's not an O guy but Greg Schisno would be good for us.  He can build a program, recruit south Florida and has a decent track record besides getting fired in Tamps Bay.  If he doesn't go to Oregon he would fit good.  Overall we need a person that can do the last thing Charlie couldn't get done.  We need a coach that can win on game day.  Keep it simple , be smart and don't let Chun make the pick.  We can't fumble this hiring.
Back to the top

Yessir. We have a thread going about this, feel free to post there. Too many individual threads could get out of control.

Coaching Search 2016 - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top
Control functions: