Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 C-USA Bowl Games Thread

Add topic

2016-17 C-USA Bowl Games Thread

Conference USA will be sending a record seven teams to play in bowl games this holiday season.  Back-to-back Champion WKU leads the seven squads, joined in the postseason by West Division Champion Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, North Texas, Southern Miss and UTSA.

WKU enters postseason play on seven-game winning streak when its represents C-USA in the Boca Raton Bowl.  The Hilltoppers will face American Athletic Conference foe Memphis in the game. This will be the third straight bowl appearance for a WKU program that has been bowl-eligible six straight seasons after moving to the FBS level in 2007. The Hilltoppers are 11-2 on the season, making them one of eight FBS programs to win 10 or more games each of the past two seasons.

Louisiana Tech will be in a bowl for the third straight season for the first time in school history when it participates in the Armed Forces Bowl on Friday, Dec. 23. The Bulldogs will face AAC member Navy in the game, the third all-time meeting between the schools.

Middle Tennessee will participate in the Hawai’i Bowl on Saturday, Dec. 24, marking the sixth bowl game of the FBS era for the Blue Raiders.  Middle Tennessee will play Hawai’i of the Mountain West Conference for the first time since 1993 from Aloha Stadium in Honolulu. The game will air nationally on ESPN.

North Texas will return to postseason play for the first time since 2013 when it faces Army in the Heart of Dallas Bowl on Tuesday, Dec. 27. It will be a rare bowl game rematch, as the Mean Green defeated the Black Knights, 35-18, on October 22 in West Point, New York.

Old Dominion will participate in the third annual Bahamas Bowl on Friday, Dec. 23, marking the first bowl appearance for the Monarchs in just their second season of being fully-eligible. ODU will play Eastern Michigan of the Mid-American Conference team for the third consecutive season, having won the first two meetings.

Southern Miss will be making a second straight bowl trip when it plays in the New Orleans Bowl. The Golden Eagles will be making their 24th all-time bowl appearance (most among C-USA schools) and will face Louisiana-Lafayette in the game. This will be the 52nd time these schools have met, with Southern Miss owning a 39-11-1 lead in the series, which dates back to 1923.

UTSA will play in the postseason in its sixth year of football and fifth year in the FBS, matching South Alabama (2014) and Georgia State (2015) for the earliest a program has played in a bowl.  The Roadrunners will make their postseason debut in the New Mexico Bowl against a New Mexico team that tied for first place in the Mountain Division of the Mountain West Conference.  This game is the first of the bowl season.

C-USA posted a .600 winning percentage during the 2015-16 bowl season, trailing only the SEC (.800) for the best winning percentage among all leagues. C-USA is 18-8 over the past five years in bowl games.

2016-17 C-USA BOWL SCHEDULE

NEW MEXICO BOWL (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
Saturday, December 17
UTSA vs. New Mexico (ESPN) 2:00 PM

NEW ORLEANS BOWL (New Orleans, Louisiana)
Saturday, December 17
Southern Miss vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (ESPN) 9:00 PM

BOCA RATON BOWL (Boca Raton, Florida)
Tuesday, December 20
WKU vs. Memphis (ESPN) 7:00 PM

BAHAMAS BOWL (Nassau, Bahamas)
Friday, December 23
Old Dominion vs. Eastern Michigan (ESPN) 1:00 PM

ARMED FORCES BOWL (Fort Worth, Texas)
Friday, December 23
Louisiana Tech vs. Navy (ESPN) 4:30 PM

HAWAI’I BOWL (Honolulu, Hawai’i)
Saturday, December 24
Middle Tennessee vs. Hawai’i (ESPN) 8:00 PM

HEART OF DALLAS BOWL (Dallas, Texas)
Tuesday, December 27
North Texas vs. Army (ESPN) 12:00 PM

*** All Times Eastern Standard
Back to the top

7 OF 13 AND NOT US - THUS ANOTHER REBUILD! SUCKS BUT GO CUSA!
Back to the top

UTSA is the one that aggravates me. We should be light years ahead of them.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Posted On: Dec 5th 2016, 11:39 AM #363469

They just took our initial record of fastest to get to a bowl game, now if they win they will take the other.

Hate to root against a C-USA team, but in this case GO LOBOS!

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Rick said

David Slavic said

Posted On: Dec 5th 2016, 11:39 AM #363469

They just took our initial record of fastest to get to a bowl game, now if they win they will take the other.

Hate to root against a C-USA team, but in this case GO LOBOS!

:Big-Grin:
Posted On: Dec 5th 2016, 11:42 AM #363471

Yeah 100%. The record is one of the few things we have left lol.
Back to the top

Lobos are pretty good. AND they have the Coach we should have hired after HS in the first place!
Back to the top

With Conference USA sending a record seven teams to bowl games this season, fans can get ready for those games by watching the C-USA Bowl Preview Show.  The program will air live on Facebook.com/ConferenceUSA and on twitter (@Conference_USA) Tuesday, Dec. 13 at 4 p.m. EST.

Veteran C-USA announcer Ron Thulin, FootballScoop.com’s Zach Barnett and C-USA TV’s Madi Morris will host the show that will feature in-depth previews, statistical analysis and video clips from coaches and players

The show will also be interactive, allowing fans to play a part as well.  Fans are encouraged to send in their questions through Conference USA’s twitter (@Conference_USA) or Facebook (ConferenceUSA) pages.

The bowl preview show will also be archived and available for later viewing on C-USA’s social media platforms, as well as on CUSA TV.
Back to the top

NEW MEXICO BOWL

HALFTIME:

UTSA 6 New Mexico 10

30:00 away from preserving FAU's record!

GO Lobos!

:Laughing:
Back to the top

2:38 3rd

UTSA was driving for a score and the Lobos get the INT!

UTSA 6  New Mexico 16
Back to the top

BIG score by the Lobos!

Nail in the coffin at 2:22 mark of the 4th!

UTSA 13  New mexico 23
Back to the top
Control functions: