Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

Rick said

teambeer said

Jeff Brohm hired at Purdue…
Posted On: Dec 5th 2016, 11:23 AM #363466

Why do coaches go on record stating something is a rumor, then turn around and do that very thing!

LOL
Posted On: Dec 5th 2016, 11:51 AM #363472

In no specific order.

1.  Confirming the rumor reduces leverage if you're negotiating with several other teams at the same time.
2.  Probably breaches their current contract and puts them at financial risk.
3.  Players & staff lose focus.

This is a business.  Call it whatever else you'd like but CFB is BIG business.  Sure the schools have an idea that the coach may get recruited somewhere else as should the kids, that doesn't reduce the pain any when they actually do leave.

Also, the school doesn't want egg on it's face that they'll just let Coach X publicly confirm he's leaving.  Finally, no player should commit to a coach.  They should commit to a school.  Sure, bonds and relationships get made, very deep ones at that, and kids will get upset.  But it's business.  Some of these kids are going to be part of that business when they get to the league.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

In no specific order…
Posted On: Dec 5th 2016, 2:11 PM #363478

I get all that, it was more of a rhetorical question…call me old fashioned, but I don't see the place for a lie anywhere in life.

Just tell the truth, or say "no comment"!

:Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Rick said

sigep77 said

In no specific order…

I get all that, it was more of a rhetorical question…call me old fashioned, but I don't see the place for a lie anywhere in life.

:Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:  :Not-Talking:

Posted On: Dec 5th 2016, 2:26 PM #363479

Agree with ya 1000% Rick! A lie is a lie. Show some classs and honor!
Back to the top

Rick said

sigep77 said

In no specific order…

Posted On: Dec 5th 2016, 2:26 PM #363479

100% agree. I don't know why it's so hard to say "I'm focused on finishing the season, and we can talk about whatever rumors you want to at that point."
Back to the top

The carousel continues to spin.

WKU's Brohm to Purdue, USF's Willie Taggert to Oregon.
Leavitt not on our shortlist.
Lane Kiffin being targeted for USF? As is Greg Schiano.
Major Applewhite to stay in Houston?

Not to regurgitate FootballScoop too much…

Who else have we talked about?

So many rumors.

People on Twitter starting their own about Al Golden, Charlie Strong, Les Miles to FAU. Not hearing anything about those guys, but neither did anybody about Charlie Partridge before he got hired.

Some NFL names thrown out there. I'd imagine that's just as much an adjustment as FCS to FAU.

Apparently we're only looking at FBS coaches and above. Makes sense to me.
Back to the top

What I don't like is that a lot of other schools are making moves, and the good prospects getting grabbed. Now we have to compete with Houston, USF, Western Kentucky for a coach, and we're probably the worst of those jobs from a recruiting standpoint, and possibly facilities standpoint. I appreciate "getting it right" this time, but of we wait too long, we'll be forces to hire another defensive line coach. Or a tight ends coach, a running back or quarterback coach. Lane Kiffin to USF would make me furious.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

What I don't like is that a lot of other schools are making moves, and the good prospects getting grabbed. Now we have to compete with Houston, USF, Western Kentucky for a coach, and we're probably the worst of those jobs from a recruiting standpoint, and possibly facilities standpoint. I appreciate "getting it right" this time, but of we wait too long, we'll be forces to hire another defensive line coach. Or a tight ends coach, a running back or quarterback coach. Lane Kiffin to USF would make me furious.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 9:10 AM #363534

Our search is taking entirely to long! Luckily I don't think those openings effect us. They are very different jobs. USF and Houston will be looking at a higher quality candidate pool. WKU probably will promote from within.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Our search is taking entirely to long! Luckily I don't think those openings effect us. They are very different jobs. USF and Houston will be looking at a higher quality candidate pool. WKU probably will promote from within.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 9:26 AM #363535

I agree. I hope Mr. Chun and Mr. Kelly have something in the hopper quickly. The right hire is critical, but so is speed. Its been earily quiet on the search front IMHO.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

OwlFamily said

DeltAlumnus said

Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 9:26 AM #363535

I agree. I hope Mr. Chun and Mr. Kelly have something in the hopper quickly. The right hire is critical, but so is speed. Its been earily quiet on the search front IMHO.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 9:39 AM #363536

Meanwhile, recruits are being recruited…
Back to the top

Sounds like Luke Fickell is making a run at the Cincy job, so scratch him off the list too.

I'm mentally preparing myself for the "We hired WHO?" moment that I'll surely have in a 3 weeks time when we get off our A$$ and pull the trigger. Please prove me wrong Chun.
Back to the top
Control functions: