Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

Right now USF and WKU are more attractive jobs then us and we are probably competing for the same pool of coachs. So Im worried our 1st and 2nd choices are also those places 1st and 2nd choices. I feel like right now we lose out head to head against USF for certain, and probably even to WKU with the success they've had.

Were behind.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

OwlFamily said

Right now USF and WKU are more attractive jobs then us and we are probably competing for the same pool of coachs. So Im worried our 1st and 2nd choices are also those places 1st and 2nd choices. I feel like right now we lose out head to head against USF for certain, and probably even to WKU with the success they've had.

Were behind.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 12:40 PM #363549

+1

Exactly my sentiments…

On a side note:

Taggart leaving is a double-edged sword.

One, for us, and one for him.

Because…

Book it, in three years he is gone. Guys try to make to big a jump in too short of time. He barely got by at USF (by hiring others to bail him out) and this time it will be MUCH tougher.
Back to the top

OwlFamily said

Were behind.

WKU and USF are springboards to get to another better paying job, we're kind of where careers come to die at this point.
Back to the top

I feel like every other school is making moves during this whole coaching carousel except for us. It's like everyday I wake up and someone gets hired elsewhere… The way we've been quiet kinda bothers me. I hope that we're plotting the best coaching selection ever seen. Like bringing Les, Lane, Belichick, Saban, or John freaking Madden. I'm already tired of all the speculations.

I'm assuming we're taking our time because of the dead period. But I'm sure the new coach will need time to put his coaching staff together.
Back to the top

Rick said

OwlFamily said

Were behind.

+1

Exactly my sentiments…

On a side note:

Because…

Book it, in three years he is gone. Guys try to make to big a jump in too short of time. He barely got by at USF (by hiring others to bail him out) and this time it will be MUCH tougher.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 12:47 PM #363550

So you're saying a coach should turn down a multi-million dollar raise? Skip holtz destroyed that program after leavitt left. He corrected his mistakes and USF was probably the second best team in the state this year.

USF will interview coaches who probably wouldn't even take Chun's call. So that is why I do not think USF being open really affects our job because USF is a way better job than FAU's at this point.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

what about the oc from Indiana. that offense has improved and indiana is going to back to back bowl games.

Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 11:55 AM #363548

Kevin Jones?

IU didn't really have a true OC the old head coach called the plays.

The CO-OC/DC position is really confusing they give assistants that title to bring up their rank.

A lot of G-5 and smaller P5 schools head coaches call plays because that what they were most likely doing in their last job and they don't have the money to pay a big time play caller and let the head coach just manage the game.

Now they just give some WR/QB coach OC title.

Back to the top

Rick said

OwlFamily said

Were behind.

+1

Exactly my sentiments…

On a side note:

Because…

Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 12:47 PM #363550
They had the best season in school history if.
Taggart has had success every where he has touched after a couple of seasons.

Back to the top

From coachingsearch.com:

Florida Atlantic: Tennessee tight ends coach / special teams coordinator Larry Scott has interviewed for the FAU head coaching job, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Scott previously worked at Miami, USF and the Florida high school ranks.

Another interesting option.  He went 4-2 as UM's interim coach last season.

Pros: Good recruiter.
Cons: Never been a coordinator at the college level.  Only experience above position coach is last year as the interim.

According to the Tampa Bay Times, he's said to be interested in the USF opening (he played at USF).
Back to the top

OwlFamily said

Were behind.

It seems like right now, we lose out to almost any other school in the conference. I wish we'd been faster to hire, because now the coaches we can afford will have their choice of a lot of different schools, so unless Chun has a trick up his sleeve, or Kelly is waiting until after the championship to hire somebody from Clemson, we're going to have to settle again.
Back to the top

I saw the Larry Scott rumor and wasn't sure how I felt about it. It is an interesting trade off, the coordinator experience for interim head coach experience. My initial thoughts were how difficult was the 5 games he coached last season before the bowl game(they played Washington in their bowl game, pretty self explanatory that they were good). I'd prefer coordinator experience, otherwise this feels too much like a partridge situation (position coach). 
Back to the top
Control functions: