Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

I am still praying the the Clemson option and hope some of these other openings are filled before they finish their season!!
Back to the top

Scott Jackson (2) said

I saw the Larry Scott rumor and wasn't sure how I felt about it. It is an interesting trade off, the coordinator experience for interim head coach experience. My initial thoughts were how difficult was the 5 games he coached last season before the bowl game(they played Washington in their bowl game, pretty self explanatory that they were good). I'd prefer coordinator experience, otherwise this feels too much like a partridge situation (position coach). 
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 1:59 PM #363560

I think it is what we have to expect at this point. Hopefully it turns out like PJ Fleck did at WMU, and not Charlie Partridge at FAU
Back to the top

Scott Jackson (2) said

I saw the Larry Scott rumor and wasn't sure how I felt about it. It is an interesting trade off, the coordinator experience for interim head coach experience. My initial thoughts were how difficult was the 5 games he coached last season before the bowl game(they played Washington in their bowl game, pretty self explanatory that they were good). I'd prefer coordinator experience, otherwise this feels too much like a partridge situation (position coach). 

Not sure he'd be my first choice, but I think we could certainly do worse. Good to know that we are interviewing candidates though!
Back to the top

An O guy - good, and did serve as interim at UM (4-2) so SOME HC experience. And some Florida recruiting experience at least. Power 5 coaching level experience.

We could do worse!
Back to the top

Taggert wins wherever he goes but I really don't think Oregon is a good choice for him.

Anyhow, he shows ZERO loyalty - lest his alma mater (WKU) and "dream job near home" (USF) at first opportunity. Just out for himself IMHO.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Scott Jackson (2) said

Not sure he'd be my first choice, but I think we could certainly do worse. Good to know that we are interviewing candidates though!
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 2:09 PM #363565

Yeah nowhere close to a first choice. But like you said, we could do worse, and at least we're doing something.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

USMCOWL said

You know what name is probably being discussed in the halls of the Oxley, and you can rip me for mentioning it, but its a possiblity. Brian Wright. Knows the program already, and the schools, but its just a shot in the dark.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 10:07 AM #363539

It not a shot in dark it's a shot from a black hole.

We are not talking to him.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 10:40 AM #363546

I doubt he would want to talk to us as long as Chun is there.

Hes the OC on a team playing in a bowl game in two weeks. Now an interesting possibility is
 brian might come back as OC if FAU were to hire Jason Candle as head coach.

Back to the top

My daughter has been accepted at FAU, and she is seriously considering attending.  She loves the campus and location, and we live right outside of Orlando so my wife and I are just pretty happy she is mainly looking at in-state public schools :-)

Even though my daughter obviously has never played football the "football experience" somehow is high on her list of things she is looking at in choosing a college.  We are both big college football fans (I played at the FCS level many years ago), so we are pretty interested in how the coaching search turns out but also in how the overall vibe is with the program.  It seems like leadership is on-board with the importance given the facilities and now with a pledge to commit to paying the head coach AND the coordinators (which are just as important in my opinion).  But in terms of success and attendance  (particularly sounds like the students aren't necessarily "all-in" on football), is it realistic to think a "named" coach is coming to FAU or is it much more realistic to think it will be a successful FCS coach or an up-and-coming but not-yet-arrived coordinator?

Probably nowhere close to anybody's radar, but some under-the-radar coordinator-type coaches could be Geoff Collins (UF's DC who has some Florida ties coaching and recruiting and is in the $1M range) or Lonnie Galloway (co-OC for Louisville who has bounced around a little but was Assistant Head Coach at West Virginia previously).  These are relative young guys who have some pretty good experience and who could be itching for a chance to get their first break to be a Head Coach.  Doubtful either of those guys are on FAU's list, but personally I am hopeful they make a great hire because I love the campus and facilities and wouldn't mind my daughter going there and us attending games in a nice facility in a great location that still seems to have reasonable ticket prices (also assume reasonable booster's dues although I can't really find much info regarding that???).
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Taggert wins wherever he goes but I really don't think Oregon is a good choice for him.

Anyhow, he shows ZERO loyalty - lest his alma mater (WKU) and "dream job near home" (USF) at first opportunity. Just out for himself IMHO.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 2:14 PM #363569

So if someone offered you a raise of almost 300 percent you wouldn't take it?
Please you want to talk about Loyalty? USF Football Attendance Is In Crisis - The Daily Stampede
He coached the school to the best season in conference history and support fell. Yea I would leave to coach in front of 60k at a program with blank checks as well.

Someone also reported that they had a conversation with Taggart over thanksgiving weekend and he told that reporter that he ''wanted to be the first black coach to win a national title'' so that obviously means a lot to him.

Good for Taggart and go win a national title you have fan in me.

Back to the top

Yeah, I don't have any problem with someone taking a job for a lot more money.  It's not as if USF would have been loyal to him if he went 3-9 next year.  
Back to the top
Control functions: