Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

GeorgiaOwl said

Taggert wins wherever he goes but I really don't think Oregon is a good choice for him.

Anyhow, he shows ZERO loyalty - lest his alma mater (WKU) and "dream job near home" (USF) at first opportunity. Just out for himself IMHO.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 2:14 PM #363569

Are you gonna turn down jobs when someone is going to double your salary? There is no loyalty in college football or in sports in general. He left USF ten times in a better place than he got there. You have to appreciate that when your coach leaves.

I would love to hire a coach that gets hired by a big program. It means he took us to heights we probably have never achieved before.
Back to the top

"I would love to hire a coach that gets hired by a big program. It means he took us to heights we probably have never achieved before."

Agree with ya there, I wish we had the same problem here.

And yes I am old school and think if you ask recruits and parents to help you build something you should stick with 'em. Money should not be the end all of life guys. But he could have gotten a reworked contract with more $$$ and incentives and  a longer term with expensive payoffs if fired! Many Coaches have used the threat of leaving to better themselves, never really meaning to leave!

Back to the top

Yeah if Taggert had Partridged it, USF would have fired him lol. As a fan, I struggle with it too. If the coach is good, I want him to stay and continue building. If he doesn't win, I want the school to fire him and find somebody better. I guess my ultimate loyalty is to my school, and the students that are there now, and of course my pride as an alum.
Back to the top

Also, from coachingsearch.com:

"South Florida: USF’s top candidates include Cowboys special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, Florida State wide receivers coach Lawrence Dawsey, Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, former LSU head coach Les Miles, Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano and former Texas head coach Charlie Strong, according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy. "

At least we're not competing for the same pool of coaches. Strong, Miles, Schiano, Kiffin, etc. All apparently interested in the job. We just can't decide which FCS coach to hire lol.

Just throwing a name out there, that can recruit Sofla, knows FAU, is currently a head coach, and knows CHun and the current staff – Roger Harriott.
Back to the top

Out of all these names Super Mario is the one I would go with first….he's at a top flight program….Saban has him around for a reason…..I'm sure he's learned alot there and would be able to bring talent here like no other coach has been able to…..

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

Out of all these names Super Mario is the one I would go with first….he's at a top flight program….Saban has him around for a reason…..I'm sure he's learned alot there and would be able to bring talent here like no other coach has been able to…..
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 5:29 PM #363590

Being around Saban doesn't mean a lot many coaches under who has gone other places has just been meh.

He was 27-47 for a reason.
Back to the top

CP by comparison would have been 18-54, way worse! He would be a good recruiter - it is all in the Co-ordinators guys, THEY run the O and D!
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Yeah if Taggert had Partridged it, USF would have fired him lol. As a fan, I struggle with it too.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 4:15 PM #363585

The only reason he didn't is because he fired both coordinators. No results until that happened. 
Back to the top

I haven't got much of an opinion because I an certain I will be wrong, but I am a fan of Mario. Local guy. Local name. Can recruit the area. Still young and cool enough. O line guy. Georgia Owl is 100% correct. The coordinators make it or  break it.
Back to the top

Rick said

David Slavic said

Yeah if Taggert had Partridged it, USF would have fired him lol. As a fan, I struggle with it too.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 4:15 PM #363585

The only reason he didn't is because he fired both coordinators. No results until that happened. 

Posted On: Dec 7th 2016, 5:47 PM #363596

So that's the only reason he had success?
I mean in year two he still had a mess of program left by Skip Holtz.

We can't also ignore the fact he was good at WKU.
Back to the top
Control functions: